SaabCentral Forums banner

Lifters

924 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  DIVINGDUDE 
#1 ·
Hi All, after replacing my head my tappets/lifters seem noisy. I have just found this on an old thread, could someone explain further please, I think this is what I may need to do (hope Boxman doesn't mind me lifting his post):

also when you fit the head back on and have connected the timing chain you need to lossen the inner bolt (note that the inner bolt are black) on the cam bearing the other end to the chain on both cams and crank the engine over until there is no air in the oil, when this has been done retorq the bolts, if you dont do this the tappets will tap for a long time.

boxman

#2 ·
ive just done the head gasket on my dads saab 9000 and to be honest with you, i just slapped the head back on and started it up, had a tappin sound for about 20 seconds after starting it up and then it went quiet, ive ran it for a hour or so and added some engine flush then changed the oil, the taping sounds has not come back, i was surprised because i expected it to tap for quite a bit until all the air was out of the lifters,

the way i read that instruction is once you have fitted the cam sprokets and the cam chain and tensioner you need to bleed the lifters, on the opposite end of the camshaft there are 2 black bolts on the bearing caps by cylinder number 4, the bolts are located on the inside of the camshaft holder, loosen these 2 bolts and crank the engine until you get a constant flow of oil then tighten them up and re-touque them,

thats my interpretation of that statement with a bit added for good luck, ive got to say that i never noticed these 2 black bolts when i was doing the work on my dads car, then again it did not loose any or very little oil when i removed it, i was surprised at that aswell but the oil was in desperate need of a change and was more like treacle than oil, (5 years old) very think and gloopy, poor car :( , its running in nice clean oil now after a couple of flushes with some flushing oil

#3 ·
i was reading the other day about a guy who was supplied the wrong head gasket and this caused the lifter to rattle like a bag of spanners and whey would not bleed proply, you did fit check the gasket was the same as the old one before you installed it didnt you, the gasket he installed had the oil holes in the wrong place therfore no oil was getting to the head

#4 ·
marks152 said:
i was reading the other day about a guy who was supplied the wrong head gasket and this caused the lifter to rattle like a bag of spanners and whey would not bleed proply, you did fit check the gasket was the same as the old one before you installed it didnt you, the gasket he installed had the oil holes in the wrong place therfore no oil was getting to the head
Thanks Marks, thats clearer, I think I'll just take the cover off and have a look. The head was second hand so all dry when I put it on, it also seemed more gunged up than the one I took off (but without the bent valves!), just remembered I still have the old one so can experiment without doing any damage. I am pretty sure the gasket fitted well.

#5 ·
its got to be worth a look at the old head before taking the cover back off your engine, see if you can see the black bolts on the right of the head as it would sit in the car, ive been following your unfortuanate rebuild for few weeks, hope all goes well, try bleeding them and see what happens, might just need bleeding hopefully, fingers crossed thats all it is, was the engine quiet before the head replacement, maybe the oil pan strainer is blocked with sludge?

found this write up about about noisey lifters aswell,

http://www.saabcentral.com/techhelp/c900/mike_gasket.php

#6 ·
marks152 said:
its got to be worth a look at the old head before taking the cover back off your engine, see if you can see the black bolts on the right of the head as it would sit in the car, ive been following your unfortuanate rebuild for few weeks, hope all goes well, try bleeding them and see what happens, might just need bleeding hopefully, fingers crossed thats all it is, was the engine quiet before the head replacement, maybe the oil pan strainer is blocked with sludge?

found this write up about about noisey lifters aswell,

http://www.saabcentral.com/techhelp/c900/mike_gasket.php

Thanks for the link, the rebuilds not that unfortunate! She's going well at the moment apart from being a bit noisy when the bonnet is up , I shall have to do the chain at some point but that can wait for the summer as I am just off for a work trip (without Saab).

#8 ·
harman said:
does she make noise only when cold and quiet down as the engine warms up or is she noisy all the time even after warmup?
Yes, it seems noisy when warm too, like I said the head was dry when I put it on, I didn't notice any mention of the lifters when I read up here about the head and can't find much now! Can someone point me in the right direction for where this bolt is to bleed them (a picture would be even better) or is it each of the inner dark bolts on each valve pair?

p.s. Anyone know the torque setting as well? :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.