SaabCentral Forums banner

Barely starting, then limping along...

452 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ferkle 
#1 ·
Greetings all,

I used to frequent this forum more back when Black Beauty had more problems. Now, she's been good for a while, but has recently acted out again.

I have a (black) '95 9000 Aero with 156K miles (36k with me). She'd been running perfectly fine for quite a while, but last Thursday, she refused to start. She just chugged three times and quit. It's not a battery issue, it happily tried again and again. Then, I replaced the spark plugs two days later (it had been about 30K miles) and she started just fine. The spark plugs seemed worn, but not bad, so I was suspicious that that was the actual problem.

Two days later, she stranded me (and the three kids) in a parking lot. Eventually after a few tries it lurched to shuttering life, but it was as if it was barely keeping the engine running. By depressing the accelerator it came mostly back.

On the way home, I stopped for gas (it was getting near empty, and there was a dim chance that something in the gas was the problem) which led to my oldest kids making the astute observation of 'Dad, when the car's not working, don't stop!'. Sure enough, it took a while to get started again out of the gas station, and this time it was working in a woefully underpowered way. Sometime along there the TCS OFF light (and the check engine lihgt) came on. The error code is five flashes.

Uh, any suggestions, or ideas? It really was a very sudden onset kind of thing, so I doubt it was fuel or air filters or anything, and it is somewhat intermittent, since I started it today and it started fine, although the CE light is still on. Any help at all would be much appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
5 flashes is throttle position sensor....

although I do agree with computek, it does sound quite DI like... however with a TCS car, (which I sadly know little or nothing about) it wouldn't surprise me if the throttle position sensor wasn't at least a little something to do with it. Sorry I can't help a great deal more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.