SaabCentral Forums banner

Milky oil

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  woywitka 
#1 ·
milky oil....

So i have the dreaded milky discharge in my oil filling place...
Guessing blown head gasket, which pisses me off because it was just repaired less than 10k miles ago...

Sooo.. Re-tourquing the head bolts hopefully will do it eh?

Thining of seafoaming the oil like crazy for 500 miles, draining it. Filling it with cheap dino oil for another 500 miles to get the rest of the seafoam out. Draining it, and then putting something decent in it. to get things cleaned out.

And another question, is this really serious if i watcht he fluid levels? The thing idles and runs like a charm, i heard that the engine can seize up though, true?

and.How the heck am i blowing these things anyways? I mean i dont exactly baby the car, but i dont red line it ever. What causes these things to blow?

#2 ·
head gaskets blow because they arnt torqued enough.
or the head and or block arnt perfectly flat so when heated and cooled they will twist causing the gasket to shift and leak.
so take it all apart again machine it perfectly flat (i would do the block and the head) and torque in the correct pattern 25 foot pounds at a time and i would over torque the head a little maybe 10-15 foot pounds.
also using new head bolts can make a big diffrence
joe

#3 ·
well last time it was off they had it sent it to the machine shop and said it wasnt really warped at all, not enough to cause problems, so im thinking (hopefully) they used new bolts,that stretched and need a tightening, and maybe they werent even tight enough in the first place... So i'll try over torquing them and see how it goes. I'm not really loosing coolant fast at all so hopefully that will do it. I'm not in the mood to pull the head off

this car i swear to god has been more trouble than i could have ever imagined.

yes, irrate.

#5 ·
I have milk in my oil too sometimes.

I also installed a brand new headgasket.

I also know that milk in oil means nothing. Too many headgaskets on Saabs have been replaced because of a little condensation in the oil.

I have 3 Saabs that get a little mayo on the dipstick.

Now if your oil looks exactly like a chocolate milkshake then you have a big problem.

Forget the seafoam crap. Everyone wants a band-aid in a can. Go change the oil when it is due (stop wasting resources) and watch for real headgasket signs.

1) Expansion tank bubble/foams/overflows
2) Huge amounts of white smoke out the exhaust (can be turbo)
3) Loss of compression/poor performance/missfire on cold start
4) A hydrolocked engine, turn key and nothing happens.

Seriously, chillax. I bet if you went out and beat the bitt out of the car, get the engine running hot, all the mayo will vanish.:D

#6 ·
yes there are MANY factors which can cause milky oil.
in my 96 sentra when i was changing the timing chain i got milky oil because the front cover wasnt properly sealed.
also just condensation can cause milky oil but the car would have to sit for a while.
if u have milky oil and u drive the car for more then 30 minutes at least every other day then its not condensation.
if u have a turbo then the seals on that could be going bad and that could cause milky oil.
as far as the head gasket goes if its already leaking then retorqueing the head will only fix it for a couple hundred miles.
i hope its not the head gasket
good luck
joe

#7 ·
twistedshadows said:
y
if u have a turbo then the seals on that could be going bad and that could cause milky oil.
joe
This is probably it, i know for a fact my turbo's seals are bad. If i pull the cable to rev the engine smoke comes out of it (the turbo), and if you drive behind me it smells like gun powder. Takes a quart of oil a week to keep it full.

Now that brings another question, if i keep up with oil changes and keep it full, do i need to worry about anything from a turbo with bad oil seals? Is this going to cause sludge to build up?

#8 ·
boon94 said:
This is probably it, i know for a fact my turbo's seals are bad. If i pull the cable to rev the engine smoke comes out of it (the turbo), and if you drive behind me it smells like gun powder. Takes a quart of oil a week to keep it full.

Now that brings another question, if i keep up with oil changes and keep it full, do i need to worry about anything from a turbo with bad oil seals? Is this going to cause sludge to build up?

Unless your oil is getting emulsified I wouldn't worry very much.

I drove with a Garret T3 water cooled for 100,000kms with the exact same condition. Let me guess, if you start the car cold and let it idle it will smoke? If you hop in an drive untill warm it will not smoke?

I had an internal seal problem in my turbo. The turbo would puff white smoke too if I idled cold. The only way to cure the issue was to boost the poop out of the thing. The increase in temperature would cause the metal and seals to expans thus sealing the the issue. I could get that turbo to smoke the block and my water level/oil level would fall.

That car still runs in that exact condition.

I wouldn't worry too much, again, save money ntil something gets a bit more serious. Headgaskets can have a minor leak for years, turbos can fail over teh course of a half decade, and Saab engines (pre B235) last despite horrid treatment.

Sludge is not an issue in the 9000.

Remember, the car isn't worth huge amounts of money, so don't go spending unless you really need too. My two cents anyways.

#9 ·
woywitka said:
I drove with a Garret T3 water cooled for 100,000kms with the exact same condition. Let me guess, if you start the car cold and let it idle it will smoke? If you hop in an drive untill warm it will not smoke?
Yea it used to smoke REALLY bad, its medeocre now, like maybe crud is building up to make burt oil seals. :confused: I've switched to dino oil, i cant be bothered wasting good stuff when its just going to get burned out anyways.

woywitka said:
The only way to cure the issue was to boost the poop out of the thing.
I do boost the hell out of it, i figure its blowing out all the carbon that may be otherwise depositing in the engine eh? Lol, When gas prices were up and i was driving slower, it would smoke a lot more, probably because i would avoid boosting, the oil would build up, and then when i did boost it would come out all at once... i boost quite frequently nowadays.

woywitka said:
I wouldn't worry too much, again, save money ntil something gets a bit more serious.
Remember, the car isn't worth huge amounts of money, so don't go spending unless you really need too. My two cents anyways.
Its so tough, over the 3 years i've had it about $7000 has been put into the car, and we kept saying that we werent going to put any more money into it... then smaller things kept breaking and adding up too. its hard to say "enough" and junk the car, especially when $400 bucks can keep it on the road for what you hope will be a long time.

Ohh and does this have anything to do with it? If i start the car on a cold morning, the engine sounds normal, but 5 minutes later i'll come out and it will be making a med-high pitched humming noise like, what i guess a vaccumme cleaner would sound like from the next room (think craftsman shop vac though not as loud). It just started doing this a month ago... If i drive the car about 10 miles and let it idle again, the sound will have gone away. I'm hoping its not crud building up in the oil pump? is there even an oil pump lol?

#10 ·
woywitka said:
I have milk in my oil too sometimes.

I also know that milk in oil means nothing. Too many headgaskets on Saabs have been replaced because of a little condensation in the oil.

I have 3 Saabs that get a little mayo on the dipstick.

Now if your oil looks exactly like a chocolate milkshake then you have a big problem.
Occasionally I get bernaise sauce on my dipstick. Other times it's hollandaise. Either way I keep a stock of Grey Poupon and caviar in the car so if I have to do emergency roadside dining, I'm never without the proper sauces and condiments ;)

#11 ·
SaabKen said:
Occasionally I get bernaise sauce on my dipstick. Other times it's hollandaise. Either way I keep a stock of Grey Poupon and caviar in the car so if I have to do emergency roadside dining, I'm never without the proper sauces and condiments ;)

Delicious, all my 9-5 gives me is Sludge, which is less than delicious on toast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.