SaabCentral Forums banner

9000 remove left inner driver, or cup, or CV

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  yaofeng 
#1 ·
Hello all,
Thanks for reading my post... I have grooves in my driver's side (left) inner CV cup!, I looked because I had a shimmy under acceleration. How do I remove the cup on the transmission? I have a 1997 CS with a 4 speed automatic. Some say it just pulls out, but on the 900 it is how-to-ed and it seems they need to be unbolted. Please help, my mechanic says it just pulls out, and he wants to see which one I need before he orders parts. This will save me from calling him again.
This almost got to it:
http://townsendimports.com/Web/transmission_folder/9kdriveshaft.htm
as did this:
http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/faq/cvboot.html
but no true explanation regarding cup removal.
THANKS

#2 ·
There are five bolts, either torx or hex, fastening the drive cup to the transmission. Remove the bolts and the cup comes out along with most of the transmission fluid.

#3 ·
I BETTER GET THE DRAIN PAN READY,
Is the oil that comes out regular auto tranny fluid? All one bath in there? I guess I will see for myself tomorrow, mine has hex head bolts, they look pretty accessible, I will pull the cup tomorrow morning. After the bolts come out, it will pull out easy? Thanks

#5 ·
auto help getting inner driver out

I pulled the bolts, but is there a trick to getting the cup assembly out of the transmission case? It has not moved or dripped oil. Maybe I need to start working out, but can anyone give me a hint on how to get the cup out? Also, anyone know what the differential is bathed in for an auto tranny? Is it ... auto trans fluid?

#7 ·
yaofeng said:
Never did the auto. But I pull one out of the 5 speed without any resistance after five bolts are removed.
Yao, I have a question. On the 5 spd is this a reasonable way to change the trans fluid without resorting to drilling the trans case? Its easy to remove 3 ball joint bolts and 5 bolts on the companion flange and pull the whole thing out 1 inch and drain the fluid. Or is the drill and tap a much superior method? Your thoughts please sir. Thanks..... John

#8 ·
My experience on the 9k is limited to post 94. I know people drill and tap on prior year 9k gear box to drain oil. I don't know how easy or difficult that is as compared to pulling the drive flange.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.