SaabCentral Forums banner

weird wiring leading to overheating?

678 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Ezra 
#1 ·
1995 9000 CSE Eco 2L with ACC. 140K miles FSH.

This car did not have this problem before re-gassing and a service 6 months ago. I haven't really used her since; stupid I know but I bought another 900 and have been running around in that.

She has NEVER overheated in the 5 years I have had her, and we've sat in traffic for long, long periods of time (the boot is absolutely fantastic on the channel wine run :D) and the a/c did work (at least I think it did). When I stored her away, she needed an oil feed pipe, recently replaced.

Temp gauge reaches half-way but 10 minutes of this and she will climb fairly rapidly up to red. No fan kicks in.

The relay/fuse box does not have : 2 fuse - cooling fan high speed; E relay - cooling for High speed; 3 - cooling for relay. In the number 3 position is a spade connector coming out of the box, into a makeshift fuse holder; it comes out of the other side and down towards the back of the engine (windscreen end). It has power at all points. The E relay has no power, the 2 fuse has power.

The ACC is latterly not efficient: the temp selected is not being delivered. I have re-calibrated, and cleaned the twittering thing on my dash. I was advised to replace thermostat, yet to do as it looks very difficult.

Any ideas?

Also, it only has one fan - is this correct? There are two on my 900 with a/c.

See less See more
#2 ·
There is only one radiator fan. It is two speed. Apply directo voltage from the battery to the fan connector (black is ground). It should spin. Assuming it does, check next the relays for proper operation.

#3 ·
Losing a bit of hope here...

Thanks Yaofeng,

I will test it spins; but given the lack of relays and weird wiring detailed above, there aint many to test....

Anymore ideas guys; I'm getting a bit desperate here. I will take her to a non-saab garage next week but I seriously can't believe that they could tell me anything more than your collective nouse.... if I knew how to post pictures I would..... (I know how to post, but not how to host as Saabphoto never lets me attach anymore...

PLEEEEASE Help! It's the weekend and I want to get my hands dirty....

PS when I wrote 'power' in the first post, I meant it was 'live' ;oops: Of course....
Ez

#4 ·
I am a little confused by your description. There should be two relays and two 30A fuses in the relay/fuse box next to the battery tray. Each relay and fuse for each speed of radiator fan.

#6 ·
sorry guys, it is a bit confusing...

The following fuses are MISSING from the relay/fuse box next to the battery:
number 2 fuse - cooling fan high speed; the relay marked E - cooling for High speed; number 3 relay - cooling for relay. In the number 3 position is a spade connector coming out of the box, into a makeshift fuse holder; it comes out of the other side and down towards the back of the engine (windscreen end). Itis 'live' at each 'junction'. The E relay is not 'live', the 2 fuse is not 'live'. By this I mean: when I test for current using an electric probe, it is not there.

Does that help?
E

#7 ·
Update:
I shorted the fan switch and the fan worked.

I can't check the relays as the big relay marked E on the fuse/relay box - cooling for HIGH speed- is absent, and the other has the strange wiring in it/coming out of it.

The number 2 fuse - 'cooling fan high speed' is Live (I mustn't have done it correctly before) BUT is absent, and looks a peculiar one in that it is longer than other normal fuses but just as thin?

I do not think the power is getting to the fan however. I can't be absolutely sure as, to be honest, I cannot pull apart the connector to check (are they normally so hard to get apart?)

The sensor? that sits on the top of the rad RHS (UK car) is 'live'.

I have checked the pins in the E relay; and I do have the 'updated' version i.e. the pin 86 is present; so I don't think this is the mod detailed here.

I do have a spare relay E (I bought a bunch off ebay and one of them just happens to be this one). However, it seems risky to put it in, and as none of the pins are 'live' it seems pointless.

Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks to all who are trying to help me.
Ez

#8 ·
I can only describe the normal operation of the fan relays and fuses. The fuses are always hot (fuses 2 & 4, fuse 3 is hot in run). In models 94 and before the thermo switch on the radiator switchs on the fan through the relays. After 95 this is done through the edu the exact setting which switches the relay on I don't know. The thermo switch on the radiator was removed. You can look at the cooling fan wiring diagram online somewhere.

It is apparent the circuit has been tampered with. Whether the tampering works or not only you can find out.

#11 ·
yaofeng said:
I am a little confused by your description. There should be two relays and two 30A fuses in the relay/fuse box next to the battery tray. Each relay and fuse for each speed of radiator fan.
One of the relays is there, the other is not; neither fuse is there but where the fuse for the cooling fan relay should be, there is the spade connector coming out of the side of the box, running through a makeshift fuse and holder, off towards the back of the footwell.

WHY would someone
a) remove E relay - cooling for High speed
b) remove fuse :relay - for cooling
c) remove fuse: cooling fan High speed

leaving

a makeshift arrangement as described in fuse position 3 and a Low speed fan relay?

All fuses in the cabin are fine.

You know, because I can see it, it is so clear. However, when I read this back, I understand why folks are not responding. What do I have to do? I need a fan!

#12 ·
My guess is the PO rigged this up because something was wrong with the cooling fan. You may want to cut the wire and restore the original setup and start diagnosing from there. The fan is switched on by the edu.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.