SaabCentral Forums banner

Room for speakers in doors?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Nickolay 
#1 ·
It would be nice to have some midbass up front. The 4" in the dash can't be pushed too hard or too low and I'd rather not have a sub do too much above 80hz. The 6x9's in the rear aren't even sealed and sound really boomy. Is it possible without too much trouble to put say 6.5" woofers in the front doors?

#2 ·
have been wondering this myself recently!! just changed my front and rears and the headunit and frankly it still sounds a bit cr*p! currently running bass blockers on the fronts as they just destort and i have to have the bass quite high so i can hear it up in the front!! and YES you've nailed it about the rears sounding boomy!

#3 ·
If the door thing doesn't work out, I'll probably fiberglass the rear enclosure so it's sealed, buy a decent pair of 6x9 woofers (no tweeters necessary) and put them on an active pre-amp bandpass crossover, maybe 60-300hz. Aside from the amp, there's nothing "Premium" about this system.

#4 ·
The boom from the back speakers is around 40Hz. I've dropped this frequency on the parametric equalizer and raised the overall sub level to give a smoother overall result. This plus some basic time alignment and it sounds great from the drivers seat.

Woofers in the doors definately is the way forward though. I'm sure there's room, but some good fabrication deserves to be done, to make it look factory.

#5 ·
An interesting discussion here! :cheesy:

My initial thought is, why are you wanting bass up front though? if you stage your speaker set up correctly then surely you will be wanting the bass to the rear 6x9,s and have the mid and high freq up front? That is how I have always been advised to set mine up and have had really pleasing results from it.

Please come back and share how you finally settle this one :cheesy:

#6 ·
sending all the low frequencies off to the rear of the car isnt an ideal situ in my eyes (or ears). the stereo system in our toyota has woofers in the lower part of the door panels and then a tweeter moulded futher up the door by the mirrors. sounds excellent, far superior to what ive achieved with an alpine headunit and upgraded speakers.

#7 ·
I will attempt to do this in the summer, would like 6.5 components up front in the door panel, and perhaps 4" mids up there as well ...prob not though. I photoshoped my plan of attack, without the 4s put in the mix. I think for the best sound stage nothing beats 6.5 components up front on either door panels or kick panels. Kick panels would be another choice if the door panel setup doesn't pan out.

Also got a few pics of other people's install:

#9 ·
An interesting discussion here!

My initial thought is, why are you wanting bass up front though? if you stage your speaker set up correctly then surely you will be wanting the bass to the rear 6x9,s and have the mid and high freq up front? That is how I have always been advised to set mine up and have had really pleasing results from it.
Reason is although my 10" sub, and the 6x9's can hit 120hz or so quite cleanly, because it's coming from the trunk, imaging is lost. At the very least, those rears have to be converted to a sealed setup. Even then, I'd only turn them on for passengers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.