SaabCentral Forums banner

Excuse me, Americans..

1K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Stefano 
#1 ·
But when you're driving along in your 9000's are the indicators lit?

If so do any of you know if there is a specific fuse/relay that does this?

#8 ·
This may help

I live in the U.S. I bought a 9000 a couple of years ago that had spent the prior two year in Germany. The front corner lights were on all the time, unlike my other "pure" U.S. 9000 where the corners are used for turning signals and parking lights. I didn't want to have a problem passing inspection, so I wanted to change the corner lights to behave like American ones. If I remember correctly the fix was in the wiring to the light. There were three wires going to the corner light, only two of which were connected. Unplug one, plug in the other ==> "American" corner lights. So you should be able to do the opposite.

#11 ·
Everywhere but the US uses either a dimly lit headlight, or a small bright white light as a "parking light" also known as a "side light"

In the US the indicator is dimly lit for a parking light/side light. and gets brighter when flashing to indicate.

I don't know why.........

When I was in the UK I liked the look, but ever since I've moved to the states I dont like it......

I believe theres a permenant power line for when the light switch is in any on postition, causing the orange bulb to be lit. IronJoe removed this on his c900 convertible as he didnt like the look.

#12 ·
K-900 said:
Everywhere but the US uses either a dimly lit headlight, or a small bright white light as a "parking light" also known as a "side light"

In the US the indicator is dimly lit for a parking light/side light. and gets brighter when flashing to indicate.

I don't know why.........
i believe the reasoning behind it is taht even if your headlights burn out as you are driving at night, another driver can still see your parking light on and know that you are a car, and not a motorcycle, thereby giving them the ability to judge distance and speed a little bit better, as well as not being side swiped by someone thinking that they have more room to perform a lane change...

#13 ·
sleepy3863 said:
i believe the reasoning behind it is taht even if your headlights burn out as you are driving at night, another driver can still see your parking light on and know that you are a car, and not a motorcycle, thereby giving them the ability to judge distance and speed a little bit better, as well as not being side swiped by someone thinking that they have more room to perform a lane change...
I understand this but the sidelight I talked about (the bright white light/dimly lit headlight) acts as the same thing if a headlight burns out.
Most newer saabs in the states have "city lights" which are dim headlamp bulbs... most have burned out and the PO's have never usualy replaced them. I replaced the ones in my Viggen recently so when my switch is set to parking light, I have dim light headlamps, and the corner light on too

#14 ·
K-900 said:
I understand this but the sidelight I talked about (the bright white light/dimly lit headlight) acts as the same thing if a headlight burns out.
Most newer saabs in the states have "city lights" which are dim headlamp bulbs... most have burned out and the PO's have never usualy replaced them. I replaced the ones in my Viggen recently so when my switch is set to parking light, I have dim light headlamps, and the corner light on too
In the 9000, the dim "headlights" are the two closest to the center grille. They are 9004(?) bulbs, 25W if I recall correctly. Yeah one of mine is burnt out at the moment ;oops:

#17 ·
Stefano said:
Don't US-spec corner lights have the place for 2 bulbs, one as a (blinking) indicator and the other as a (always on) parking light? Euro corner lights have the place for only one bulb, so converting Euro setup the US isn't just a relay swap job.
No its the same bulb, kinda works like a dual filliament brake light, when you hit the brakes it gets brighter. when you hit the indicator it gets brighter

#18 ·
K-900 said:
No its the same bulb, kinda works like a dual filliament brake light, when you hit the brakes it gets brighter. when you hit the indicator it gets brighter
I recall seeing instructions about hot to fit the second bulb on the clear corner lights for 9000 CS, becasue clear ones were only for Euro market and US cars have one bulb more on that location?
Maybe I'm mistaking with the corner mounted reverse bulb? :confused: If so... nevermind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.