SaabCentral Forums banner

Passengers Side Front Seat belt stuck! Whats the deal!

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Superaero 
#1 ·
So i got in a little accident during one of those northeast snow storms and since i've been attempting to fix my passengers side seat belt but haven't had much luck. It wasn't buckled during the accident and locked up in the vertical position. I tried everything to loosen it but no luck. I figured i would just have to hit the junkyard and grab another. Wellll, it doesn't seem that simple because each one i tried to remove would lock up once it was removed also. There seems like there has to be a trick here!!!! Any ideas!?! Thanks

#4 ·
The ratchet mechanism is sensitive to g force. There is also a pyrotechnic device that explodes on sufficently severe impact and locks the belt. If the pyrotechnics go off then a new belt assembly is required. If your driver's side is OK then so is the passenger side. The ratchet has just locked.

It may be necessary to remove the belt reel from its mounting point to allow enough slack to be introduced into the belt to release the ratchet.

The usual way to release these is to slowly (VERY slowly) try to induce a tiny amount of slack into the belt at the pillar. If you can do this the ratchet will release and you can VERY slowly pull the belt out and all will return to normal. If you pull too quickly the ratchet will lock up. It is a pendulum effect inertia system and locks up if G force is applied from any direction. To release the lock up the ratchet needs to have no pressure on it which is tricky if it has locked up when at its shortest.

#5 ·
nice

wow that's crazy how sensitive that is. but low and behold after messing with it for 5 or 10 min and working very slowly it came out. I really wasn't sure what it looked after it exploded but i assumed since the airbag went off it did as well. now i can have passengers again! thanks

#9 ·
But not standard on all 9000 according to saabmuseum.com: http://www.saabmuseum.com/9000/my.html

saabmuseum website said:
Model Year 1988
Automatic seatbelt tensioners - another safety innovation from Saab - became standard on all models. The seatbelt tensioner activates in a split second by a small explosive charge.
Anyway, if you look in the EPC you can find that you also have non-pretensioner front seat belts available for a 9000

#10 ·
i thought pretensioners were required on all US delivery cars a long time ago? my uncle has a 1972 Pontiac Grand Prix that doesn't have them, but my 77 Cadillac did.... I assumed that it was somewhere in between that it became mandatory for them to be installed, from a safety standpoint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.