SaabCentral Forums banner

Successful washer tank repair

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Solid Snake 
#1 ·
My washer tank sprung a leak at one of the two steel struts molded into it. I pulled the strut out with a visegrip, then put it in the sink and gave it a bath. I set my oven to "warm" and put it in for about 15 minutes to dry it. Then I took an empty half gallon jug of milk, washed it inside and out and cut it into squares.

I took a blowtorch and heated the tank up at the site of the crack until it started to change color and soften, then I took a piece of the milk jug and applied heat to it until it became clear and bonded with the tank. I repeated this process about 7 times until the area was built up and airtight. The important part is to keep the underlying material near its melting point so it doesn't act like a heatsink when you add more layers of milk jug. When the material is hot enough, it's easy to spread with a butter knife.

The repair is quite strong and can't be pried off. I let it sit on the counter overnight full of water and it's holding up just fine. At this point, I'm considering also removing the second strut, or cutting it and rejoining it with washer hose and clamps to absorb shock better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.