camshafts on a 1997 Aero [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: camshafts on a 1997 Aero

com si com sa
29th August 2003, 11:10 AM
Is there any possible way that I can use a high proformance camshafts for this car, I am having the engine rebuilt and thinking of the idea but I don't know if I can due to the increase pressure lift of the piston. I was also thinking that instead of using a turbo cam and having it keyed to this proformance, what about the idea of using a CSE or CS 9000 camshafts from that car putting it on the Aero!

any thoughts or has one did it!

thanks

Jamo
29th August 2003, 02:50 PM
Hi!

Well, I don`t know about Aero, but I change 9000 CSE intake cam to my -87 16T 9k auto. Totally difference in low RPM:s, but in high end not so good performance. Anyway, with tweaked APC, high end is also acceptable :D . With auto tranny and somekind of ECU chip, I can say it`s worth of try, but if you car is manual, I rather stay in standard Aero cam... :wink:

Regards, Jamo

com si com sa
1st September 2003, 09:44 AM
I wonder if there a specs on the 9000 cse camshafts comparing to the Aero specs.... Mine is auto matic and I wonder and more concern about the turbo on it rather then the transmsion if I was to try the 9000 cse camshafts.

BillJ
1st September 2003, 12:46 PM
It depends on which engine is in the CSE. As far as I can tell, the camshafts on all turbo engines in a given year carry the same part number. The Aero engine is exactly the same as all other 2.3 turbo engines of the same year. It is the Trionic ECU and the turbocharger that are different.

I believe you cannot interchange pre-'94 camshafts with '94-on camshafts.

com si com sa
1st September 2003, 08:31 PM
I thought that the camshaft on the 9000 cse is a higher lift to the pistons given it more higher rpms rather than the Aero uses the turbo with a less lift to the piston for lower rpms.

Other wise the 9000 would be somewhat less under power if they had the same camshafts!

are there specs on it anywhere to compare!

Japso
11th October 2005, 01:52 PM
Letīs wake up this old thread :).

I wonder is there difference between -86 t16 9000 and -96 2.3lpt 9000 camshafts? Search didnīt help, either 900aero.com. I am searching for more flow to higher revs. Does anyone know specs to those -96 camshafts?

dboone
12th October 2005, 02:11 AM
Is there any possible way that I can use a high proformance camshafts for this car, I am having the engine rebuilt and thinking of the idea but I don't know if I can due to the increase pressure lift of the piston. I was also thinking that instead of using a turbo cam and having it keyed to this proformance, what about the idea of using a CSE or CS 9000 camshafts from that car putting it on the Aero!

thanks
The cams on the CSE and Aero turbo engines are all the same.
The difference is in the engine management and turbo size. The LPT/FPT use t-25 turbo while the Aero/'98 CSE manual get the TD04.

dboone
12th October 2005, 02:15 AM

thanks
ALSO......FORGET ABOUT CAMS!!! WITH THE '97 AERO YOU CAM BLOW UP YOUR TRANS BY JUST INSTALLING A MODIFIED ECU, EXHAUST AND AIR FILTER. 300+HP AND 300+ LBS.FT. TORQUE.

saabkid37
12th October 2005, 02:24 PM
the number is 450 lb/ft to the crank...thats where the tranny will start to not like you...still at over 500 lb/ft you can go 6 months about without worry...just have a spare...

dboone
12th October 2005, 03:24 PM
OK...I will play along.

1. If you have 450 lbs.ft. w/o LSD, the tranny does have a chance to survive.
2. W/LSD and a clutch heavy enough to handle the torque, loads up the case, gives it a little twist, miss aligns the gears and causes the trans to fail.
Where did you come up with the torque #'s in relation to the durability of the trans.?
There are some 500hp Maptuned cars out there with the 450 lbs.ft. torque you are talking about. The trannys break.
I would like to know more as the trans are the weak link of the car.

saabkid37
20th October 2005, 12:31 AM
it was a number thrown around between a few of us that someone was told by magnus uhr (of nordic) maybe its to the wheels? but apparently thats where they have found the 9k trannys to begin to degrade alot faster...they just say "keep a spare handy"

it all really depends on whenre the torque is in the power band i think...

my sqr stage 4 develops full torque by 2300 rpm...hence why my stock clutch is gone and my pnion bearing is apparently whining :roll:

Stefano
26th October 2005, 05:40 AM
Will cams from a '88 fit a '95 2.0? would it give some advantage or the opposite? Thanks.

dboone
26th October 2005, 10:18 AM
No benefit in doing that. If you want to modify your engine, first decide what you are trying to acheive and budget, Check out Maptun as a resource to see what they offer in stages and what hardware and software is required to get there. Most upgrades only need some bolt on hardware ans ECU reprogramming.
As a matter of practice, the stock cams are designed to produce maximum torque and HP between 2000 and 6000 RPM. As you add larger turbos and cams, to take advantage of the larger turbo upper end pressures, the HP will be attained at higher RPM. There are a lot of people running around with close to 400HP engines on stock cams.

AeroDynamic
1st March 2006, 03:51 PM
super old topic (since im browsing) but maptun does sell cams for the 9K ;)

kyankton
1st March 2006, 08:22 PM
Not to forget the adjustable cam gears from Maptun. Here I have installed them with the Maptun cam shafts. Results pending as we finalize the ECU tuning.

http://www.kyankton.net/images/enlarged/NG900_Engine/Adj_Cam_Gears2.jpg

ylee coyote
2nd March 2006, 06:55 AM
cam gears are absoloutly essential when exploring the higher reaches of tune

do not consider changing the cams without getting these as well

saabkid37
2nd March 2006, 12:54 PM
im bumping up to a tdo418t with a custom tune from frank of sqr...,but i have always wondered if anything needed to be done to help breathing at the top end? any input?

i know maptun only uses them once they go to a gt series turbo but better breathing couldnt do anything but help correct?

lets see how much info we can get out of this...

Marrk
2nd March 2006, 02:31 PM
adjustable cam gears from Maptun

how much are they as I cannot find details on their website...oh, and Kevin, you have PM.

ylee coyote
2nd March 2006, 04:01 PM
I got mine from s p e e d p a r t s but...
they had to be machined to fit.... :evil:
and I waited 5 months :evil: :evil:

saabkid37
2nd March 2006, 04:03 PM
so is there any point to the adjustable cam gears with stock cams?

Marrk
3rd March 2006, 03:45 AM
so is there any point to the adjustable cam gears with stock cams?

Not really, hp gains are easily attained without altering the cam timing.

saabkid37
4th March 2006, 12:55 PM
thats what i figured...just curious since id lik eto move my torque curve up to be a little more tranny friendly