Top or Bottom Transmission removal?? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Top or Bottom Transmission removal??

wrightbenz
9th March 2009, 07:16 PM
I have read the instructions for both the engine removal and taking the trans out the bottom and it seems to me like it would be quicker and less work to go out the bottom. Most of the work seems to be similar but with less steps. If anyone has any experience with this please help me out here.
Oh and this is going to be done to my new 89 SPG that I picked up this weekend. I now have two of them and my E36 M3, life is good. I will get some pics up soon.

900t
9th March 2009, 07:45 PM
out the bottom is a pain in the *** :lol:

SwimDude0614
9th March 2009, 08:06 PM
After looking at it, it does seem like way fewer steps. Why do people say its so much harder? Are things harder to reach?

I'm presuming anyone trying this would have as easy access to the underside of the car as I did to the top.

wrightbenz
9th March 2009, 08:16 PM
After looking at it, it does seem like way fewer steps. Why do people say its so much harder? Are things harder to reach?

I'm presuming anyone trying this would have as easy access to the underside of the car as I did to the top.

I have searched some more and the consensus seems to be that it is a pain. If someone had a lift though which I don't I think it would be much easier.
I think the hard part is getting the trans back in the car and sealing everything back up that makes it hard also.
Guess I will pull the whole thing from the top.

SwimDude0614
9th March 2009, 08:42 PM
have fun :lol:
the bentley explains it pretty much spot-on from what i remember. i tried ignoring a couple things cuz i thought i was cool like that :roll: and it only gave me hell. if you follow it exactly, it should be pretty easy.