SaabCentral Forums banner

Iridium Plugs NGK

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  harman 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone running them or if anyone has run them and what they can they say about them. I am looking at putting them in 2.3 Turbo and when I called NGK they said I should have no prob. with them. They said I should notice a quicker throt. resonce, and should last much longer.

Best Rgds:

Saab 1

#2 ·
I've been using them for years in my 97 Aero with great results. My SAAB Tech recommended them as they are stock in the 9 5 Aero. However, I found the 7 heat range too cool and tended to foul inexplicably in fairly short mileage so I switched to 6 heat range which work fine.

You will get better max boost, smoother running and better fuel economy using iridium (Platinum) plugs.

PHRF 6 gapped to 0.9 mm works for me. Anything up to 1.0 mm gap seems to work with the best gap depending upon the particular engine and driving conditions.

#3 ·
hi, i bought some platinum plugs for my 1994 2.3 turbo , and the ones recommended where some bosch platinum plugs.( bout $7-8 australian.) each.

i had them in for about 2000km and the car started missing , running weird. i took the plugs out and the insulation from around the center electrode on one of the plugs had a black streak running down the side of it, like it was tracking... any ways i put ngk std type plugs in and it hasent missed a single beat since.....

but... i have a set of bosch iridium and yttrium plugs ( bout $25 - 27 aud each--- ouch...) in a v6 ( holden commodore) turbo running 20 lb boost and they have been running perfect....
mark k

Saab 1 said:
Just wondering if anyone running them or if anyone has run them and what they can they say about them. I am looking at putting them in 2.3 Turbo and when I called NGK they said I should have no prob. with them. They said I should notice a quicker throt. resonce, and should last much longer.

Best Rgds:

Saab 1

#5 ·
I would say don't waste your money on them, buy platinum NGK's if you really must have something "better" than regular Ngk. the difference in performance is negligible. NGK would of course say they are better but thats just marketing to get you to buy them.just my 2cts..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.