SaabCentral Forums banner

'97 9000 transmission

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Sam_L 
#1 ·
hello all-- i need some advice. i have a '97 9000 turbo in need of a transmission. they are very hard to come by in charlotte nc. a friend of mine has found a transmission for a 9000 but was not a turbo. would this match up alright, ghearing wise, and would it affect gas mileage much if the gearing was lower....... any input will be helpful.... thanks... danny stewart

#2 ·
heck of a good fun, probably worth a loss of 2 to 4 mpg depending on how you drive

make sure it,s a post 94yr box - amongst other things look for a top dip stick versus the fill hole blanking plug - if it,s got the stick it will not fit
also I think you,ll need to swap your LH side output drive shaft coupling as it might be smaller than your one

#5 ·
One difference (between the 4HP-18 supplied with a turbo equipped model and the one supplied with a non-turbo) is that the turbo model has a tube that connects the combustion air intake pipe to the throttle body.

It is there to actuate the 4-3 downshift valve during periods of heavy turbo boost. I would imagine that if it were not installed the 4-3 kickdown would be lost. More detail:

Attachments

#7 ·
Same transmission problem. My 94 9000 aero has lost reverse but I fund a 1997 tranny with the number on top being FM 57001. The number on current tranny is FM57 101. Anyone know if they are interchangeable
Jazzlover, my '94 Aero has an FM 57 001 transmission so yes, it is possible, although this one was installed by the previous owner so I'm not exactly sure what was involved I'm afraid! The 101 transmission was for full pressure turbo 9000's, the 001 transmissions are from low pressure turbo's. As far as I know the only difference is in the ratios, but even they are only slightly different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.