SaabCentral Forums banner

Where is the fuel pump on a 9000 sedan?

637 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Jeff325 
#1 ·
My buddy's 9000 sedan stopped running a few months ago and we finally got around to looking at what the problem may be. We learned plenty about the car's weak points (and are looking for a spare direct ignition cassette right now), but it appears that the no start problem at the moment is due to a bad fuel pump. We can't hear a thing when the key is turned to the accessory position or when we jump fuses 14 and 22.

Before we go and buy a new pump however, we want to do one final test and check the voltage at the pump. This is where we are running into problems. We took off the back seat cushion, and didn't find anything there. Nothing under the spare tire either. How do you get to the fuel pump on the sedan? I really don't want to have to drop the fuel tank to do this job.

#2 ·
There are lots of tips and guides in the Haynes. It describes removing a rear floor panel with an Allen key.

#3 ·
If you say they're accurate, I will buy it. I've always been wary of Hanes manuals when it comes to working on cars. They're not always accurate with their information.

Thanks!

edit- I hope they don't mean the rear floor panel under the spare tire that I've read about. Because that is the case for the 5 door hatches, but that panel is not there in the sedan.

#4 · (Edited)
You are right. They are not completely accurate, but I still find them useful. and if you are going to do lots of work on a car I think they are worth it. the 9000 one covers 85-98.

Note: I have never taken one out of a 9000, only a C900

#5 · (Edited)
This is an easy one and there is no need to drop the tank to get to it in a 9000!

You will have to take the trunk/hatchback area floor out first to get to the fuel pump.

The fuel pump access cover will be underneath the wooden trunk floor. It's on the upper left corner of the trunk area just behind the rear seat back. It's an oval shaped metal cover with to hex head lock bolts on it.

Look for 2 holes in the center of the trunk floor where it is hinged. Loosen the two T-25 screws, open the back half like you are getting to the spare tire and pull the wood floor back to wards you and out of the trunk.

You will then see the oval bare metal access cover

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.