SaabCentral Forums banner

Wiring to the exhaust 'lambada' - where is it supposed to go.

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  rawill 
#1 ·
I haven't been able to see where to put the wiring cable to connect up the exhaust sensor. (Is it called lambada?) At the moment it is coming over the top of the cam cover. It seems it would be hard to get it round the side of the engine without it getting too close to the drive belt, 93 griffin.

#2 ·
You were close!

lambada = sexy dance

lambda = a greek letter, when used in automotive context, is shorthand for 'ratio of air-to-fuel in exhaust'

Are you replacing a bad sensor, or trying to install one where there wasn't before? Generally there's a branch off of the wiring harness with a plug on it, which should run behind or underneath your engine... and that plug should be just long enough to reach the sensor location on your exhaust pipe.

#3 ·
RITmusic2k said:
You were close!

lambada = sexy dance

lambda = a greek letter, when used in automotive context, is shorthand for 'ratio of air-to-fuel in exhaust'

Are you replacing a bad sensor, or trying to install one where there wasn't before? Generally there's a branch off of the wiring harness with a plug on it, which should run behind or underneath your engine... and that plug should be just long enough to reach the sensor location on your exhaust pipe.
Well it sure wasn't sexy lying underneath this car in my garage putting the sump back on it.

Anyway, I bought it in bits, head off etc, and I am trying to find where to route this wire to the exhaust. I don't see any plug, it seems to be permanently attached to the wiring harness. It is too short to reach in any sensible way except to thread through the drive belt and in behind the A/C mount bracket down to the exhaust. I am sure that I have got it wrong though. It seems unsafe to be going in from the body through the drive belt. If the belt broke it would ruin the wiring harness.

#4 ·
See picture. There is a coolant tube behind the pulleys on the outside of the timing cover. The coolant tube supplies coolant to the heater matrix. The O2 sensor wire rides on the tube fastened by two metal clips.

#5 ·
Thank you. I had wondered if it went there, with no clips the i can find I guess I can cable tie it on there.

And, on the right steering rack boot there is a tube, my scantech boot has not tube connection place. Is the tube important.

#7 ·
No, it is a small tube a little larger, not much than a vaccum tube that was connected to the boot that goes on the steering rack boot on the right side of the car. We are right hand drive.

#8 · (Edited)
Lambda - connection

Here is my lambda. Note it has no plug in connector. I am thinking next time I take it off I should fit a connector of some description to make it less likely to break the wires. Any suggestions of type of connector, or will any do. Heat would be the problem.

#9 ·
I wouldn't worry that much about heat; the connector is going to be a good 6" away from the pipe, depending on the length of the pigtails attached to it.

Any locking plug-type connector will be fine. Maybe try going to an electronics hobby shop and ask someone for an appropriate suggestion.

I could spec out a collar-locking circular plastic connector setup for you, but you'd need to crimp the pins and assemble the connectors yourself... Let me know if you want more info about something like this...

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks

I will check out a Dick Smiths here,

but do you know where I can get the connector that goes on to the inlet manifold about 1/2 way along.

Mine got broken when it got jammed when I was reassembling the car. It got jammed in behind the water pipe when I was putting the water pump on, no wonder I had a problem. Because I never pulled the engine apart I didn't realise it was hanging there till after I found the previous owner had loosened the oil pipe behind the starter, I found that after it squirted oil out in my prestart check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.