SaabCentral Forums banner

Cheap way to repair exhaust pipe?

904 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Jim Mesthene 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi again,
About 3 weeks ago, I ran into a giant pothole, blew out my tire, and cracked the exhaust 'Y' pipe at the horizontal flexible looking portion. It cracked in half. Tried to temporarily clamp it until I could get it more permanently fixed. That cut down on noise. I had a mechanic put on a piece of pipe and 2 heavy duty clamps. He said he wasn't sure how long it would last. I may have to go the expensive route and replace the exhaust pipe and catalytic converter. I was wondering if anyone knows of another cheaper way to "repair" this pipe so it's quieter, and less pollutant. I sent in a claim to the city, but I'm pretty sure they'd deny any claim for the cost of the correct repair since the car is 22 years old. I was told it could cost about $600, if not much more. I looked up some prices on autozone.com, found the pipe for $166.99, and a universal catalytic converter for $70.99......can I use a universal catalytic converter in my 1987 9000S non-turbo?
Thanks Again!

#2 ·
Just don't buy a new exhaust? Get one from a breaker's yard off another 9000 used for not very much and have that put on-the labour won't be expensive-I had a full turbo back replacement go on the other week for about £75, which is less than $100. If it's 22 years old and not being modified it hardly needs a brand spanking new exhaust on it-just as long as it doesn't leak.

That's what I'd do :)

#3 ·
Some welders can fix cracked exhaust pipes. It depends! That is the cheapest. Next is a junkyard replacement exhaust pipe. Can you use the universal catalytic converter? Yes, but it may not work right. The catalytic converter is used to reduce emissions, so with the universal you may not pass smog tests!

#4 ·
thank you.

last night i put some aluminum flashing around the pipe, and clamped it with 4 clamps. It held up well on my drive today. Much less noise. I also checked with a few Saab mechanics, and the cost may end up being less. Junkyard is a good suggestion.
thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.