SaabCentral Forums banner

Bright links on timing chain

893 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  rawill 
#1 ·
I am putting in new timing/balance chains on my 93 griffin. The timing chain has 4 bright links, 1 for the crank, 1 for the exhaust cam and 2 for the inlet cam. It seems the timing mark on the inlet cam sprocket lines up in between the two bright links. Can some one confirm this is right before I go ahead and wreck things. I also am assuming the exhaust balance shaft is on the exhaust side of the engine, and the inlet balance shaft is on the inlet side. I am just a bit paranoid about getting the timing right.

#2 ·
Personally I'd ignore the bright links. Never paid any attention to them myself. Just make sure the head line up with the block at No. 1 piston TDC.

#4 ·
Thanks guys

I am finally trying to put my 93 griffin back together. I bought it with head/timing chains/ sump off. It is a bit of a jigsaw and a headache. Not know what goes where. at the moment I am trying to figure out where a pipe like the oil return from the turbo goes. there are two pipes that look the same. But also I can not find the return pipe for balance shaft engines that is mentioned in Haynes. Sadly also the serpenitne belt tensioner has been broken at the lower end, a small peive of aluminium has been broken off!! Maybe I will need another one,but getting to that bit will be days away!!

#5 ·
Yes, you are correct.

I set the engine to TDC before I started, and found the bright links to be very useful when lining up the timing later.

#6 ·
help needed on vacum pipes, and spare positive lead!!

The car is running but roughly, what a nightmare with the little water jacket that goes between the water pump and the block. I decided to give it new 'O' rings and it would not go in. Eventually it did, but I found the 'O' ring had been cut in half, clearly too large. Water everywhere. Off it all comes again, along with the tuirbo, and two 'O' rings later, smaller and it is going with not leaks so far.

Anyway, to my vaccum pipe problem, There was one loose pipe in the middle of the motor hanging down by the starter. I am thinking it connected to the Y joiner near the top radiator hose near the battery box. If I am right what does the other end connect to?

Also On what looks like an electrical feed between the engine and bulkhead I have on reasonalbly large red wire with a lug on it and about a 5mm hole in it. It look like it should go on the starter positive, but it is too short. When I picked up the car this wire was cable tied to another one with a similar lug which I have attached to the starter.

In all there are 3 similar sized lugs, and what a challenge getting in there to make sense of it all when I am working on a garage floor.

And if someone has read this far, what do people do to tighten the oil pipe that comes ou behind the starter. The previous owner has loosened it oil spewed everywhere when I turned it over, before starting!, and I forgot to tighten the timing tensioner bolt. Oil came out at a rate there, made a mess too!!

Hope some one can help I am Not sure I will buy a dismantled one again!

#7 · (Edited)
Bump - hope someone can help with the above post. I don't want to start a new thread.

oops, all is good,l guess where the red lead went. On the alternator that was still in the boot!! What a dumbo!!

And the vaccum pipe went on the inlet manifold, all running sweet, new vac pipes, and number 4 injector hooked up fixed the miss and running roughly!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.