SaabCentral Forums banner

Tranny won't Drop need ideas!

1K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  899000turbo 
#1 ·
Well guys i just about got the tranny off, sub frame is dropped and i'm having a problem
quias explains there are 4 bolts from engine to tranny!, the last one is a stud to nut i took it off(keep in mind the stud pointing the proper way for me to pull it off, although the stud isnt out i cant find how to take it out) and the tranny wont budge:nono; i pulled at it it moves the engine as if its still bolted on and im sure its unbolted
Any bolts you think are still connected?
I need help people!:cry:

#4 ·
ok im about to take my tranny out again so this will be my 3rd time in about 2 months. (my orignial was broke got a replacement it was bad so the company sent out a good one so yea this will be #3)
anyways u have to take off the starter, then there is 3 bolts on the underside of the tranny.
1 on the front side its a bolt and a nut impossable to miss, #2 is on the back side its a bolt no nut, #3 is a little hard to see its below the starter once again bolt no nut.
then there are 2 big 1s on the top, both of them are nuts on studs easy 2 see even with the intake piping still on.
so if i remeber correctly u missed 1 but i cant tell u for sure till tomorrow when i pull my tranny to change my clutch (after the first time u do the job it only takes a few hours to pull and reinstall :) )
good luck
joe

#5 ·
it's gonna be super cold again tommorrow but im gonna go out and make sure i didnt
quias says theres only 4 engine to tranny bolts.
if your counting the starter bolts i took those out a while back.
but then again i only got one nut to bolt going from the engine to trans so maybe im wrong ill have to see.

#7 ·
did u find the bolt below the starter like i said.
i havent started on my tranny yet but i know there are 5 that u have to remove not including the starter.
i know u missed one find it take it off then pull and wiggle the tranny and it will come off.
joe

edit: its not directly below the starter just in the area below it get down there with a light its a small bolt with a 15mm head.

#8 ·
I will take a look
I found i didn't disconnect the cv joint/axle.
so i will also look for the other bolt but im pretty sure the Cv joint was the problem.
what kind of car is it thats your working on?
ill have to make sure theres no other bolt
thanks twisted

#9 ·
I just remove the derive train of my 95cse Saturday. It was wrecked one month ago by my younger son. So my memory of the gear box connecting bolts to the engine is refreshed. But I am down to one 9k now.

There are two bolts on the top, one on the front and on the bottom rear. These four have 18 mm head. Next there are two for the starter (one 18 mm head, another 17 mm nut). There is also a 6 mm bolt (11 mm head) for the sheet metal bottom cover between the engine and the gear box. That's it.

The difficulty I'd imagine is you will be separating both the engine output shaft and the differential output shaft at the same time. Use a big flat blade screw driver to pry at the dowels. There are two, one on each side.

Do not forget to disconnect the speedo pickup electrical connector to the wiring harness.

#10 ·
all of those wires are off in deed
i also disconnected the cv joint to no luck.
if the tranny was fully on would i still be able to see the shaft i can see a bit of it from the bottom.
and the sheet metal is between the tranny and the bottom of the engine i have no removed that maybe that sit?

#11 ·
the tranny i took out was a 91 9000s 5 speed.
u only need to take the cv axle off on the driver side not the passenger side.
ill go out and take a picture of all the bolts tomorrow for u so u can double check.
joe

edit: the sheet metal can get stuck causeing it to be a little hard to pull out (happened to me the second time i took the tranny off) but a minute of wiggling the tranny will break it free and u can take the sheet metal off untill the tranny is off so just leave it there so u dont forget to put it back on.
ive heard storys that if u froget to put it on u can break the bellhousing on the tranny.

#12 ·
And your talking about the sheet metal spacing at the bottom of the trans to engine correct?
the cv joint id already off bro thats no longer a issue
maybe the sheet metal is the problem
i also looked for more bolts i see one where the tranny was but im not sure if it thats holding the tranny on

#13 ·
i dont understand what bolts u could be talking about.
yes im taking about the sheet metal between the engine and the tranny.
as far as that goes with a good pull it would break free so i dont think thats ur problem.
the bolt im talking about goes from the engine to the tranny.
so the head would be on the engine side.
ill try to take pictures tomorrow to show u.
joe

#14 ·
Here's a link to a photo showing my 1992 9000S after I dropped the automatic transmission and in the process of converting it to a 5 speed manual transmission. The flywheel, clutch disc, and clutch pressure plate are installed ready for the 5 speed gearbox to be mounted in place

It clearly shows the location of all of the bolt holes for the transmission.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~carrieosborne/Trans mountig bolts.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.