SaabCentral Forums banner

Saab With Harmon Kardon

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jglavin 
#1 ·
VEHICLE:
1995 SAAB 9000 CSE W/ HARMON KARDON SYSTEM

Hi i am wondering where the 8 inch sub woofer is located on this vehicle. also how to tell if it actually has it or if they all came with this sub. I would also like to know if is possible to tap into the stereo system and add a second if in fact my vehicle has one.
Thank you.

#3 ·
well i found sumone selling a sub for a 9000 cse that is a saab part however i cant read the part number and i am still waiting for a reply for the number so i know what models it came in. i didnt thinkk i had a sub either. thanks for the info.

#4 ·
tirado_881 said:
well i found sumone selling a sub for a 9000 cse that is a saab part however i cant read the part number and i am still waiting for a reply for the number so i know what models it came in. i didnt thinkk i had a sub either. thanks for the info.

Could be confused with the 9-5. 9-5s have subs if they are optioned with the prestige Harmon Kardon.

#5 ·
the H/K system in my 1995 9000 CSE has 4" 2-ways in front, 6x9 woofers in the rear, and a 3" midrange + small tweeter in the rear; no 8" subs to be found.

Seller must be thinking of the 9-5, like Woy mentioned.

#6 ·
I just replaced the head unit in my car with a JVC I had from a previous car. WOW, what a difference in sound quality. I connected the preamp-level outputs (5-volt) from the head unit via some frankencables to the underseat amplifier's preamp-level inputs, and am currently using an all-stock setup other than the head unit itself and replacement rear speakers, which I also did without modifying the car's original wiring.

I purchased a 16-pin adapter plug for $20 at a local stereo shop to avoid cutting any stock wires in the dash, but ended up actually having to cut one wire since the adapter wasn't quire correct. Basically, the factory stereo has three connector plugs. The (I believe) black one, has 6-pins, connects power to the CD player below and is removed along with the stereo when you take it out. A gray 8-pin connector provides the system with power and other interfaces with the car's electrical system. A pink 10-pin connector provides a connection to the (amazingly capable) 4-channel amplifier beneath the passenger seat.

The pink plug which goes to the amp has an extra pair of pins, one of which is not used. The lone extra wire is the remote turn-on for the amp which must be connected to +12VDC (this was the one wire I had to cut and crimp). I spliced this wire into the power antenna lead on pin #5 on the gray connector (see below).

To fit the pink plug into the particular adapter I bought, I had to cut the plastic sides of the adapter to allow the two extra pins to hang out the side of the adapter.

Another caveat I noticed on the particular adapter I got was that the power connector wires did not match up exactly. The constant +12 was swapped with the switched +12 and they are different size wires. No big deal, since I'm not drawing any power to the head unit (amp under the seat does all the grunt work). I just swapped the connections. In the interest of thoroughness, I would suggest to perhaps add an in-line fuse on the small wire just in case, but I did not do this.

To make the RCA cables for the preamp signals, I used solder-type RCA plugs from Radio Shack. In hindsight, it would actually be a better idea to use an RCA audio cable to make the connections to avoid weak points right at the deck which you then shove into the dashboard. Either way, you just connect up the + and - for each of 4 channels (FL/FR, RL/RR) to each RCA jack (note: Red is typically the right channel and white or black is left). For completeness, I'll repeat the color convention here (most of which I found somewhere else on here and cannot now find) as it matched up perfectly to what I found in the car:

Pink 10-pin Connector (Pin# - Color - Function):
  1. Red/Wht - Right Rear +
  2. Blu/Wht - Right Rear -
  3. Red - Right Front +
  4. Blu - Right Front -
  5. Brn - Left Front +
  6. Grn - Left Front -
  7. Brn/Wht - Left Rear +
  8. Grn/Wht - Left Rear -
  9. Not Used
  10. Yel - +12VDC Remote Turn-on
Gray 8 pin Connector (Pin# - Color - Function):
  1. Not Used
  2. Not Used
  3. Not Used
  4. Red (large) - Constant +12VDC
  5. Grn - +12VDC output to Power antenna
  6. Brn/Wht - Interior Lights input (for stereos which support auto-dim)
  7. Red (small) - Switched +12VDC
  8. Blk - Ground
The pin numbers are printed right on the connectors, easy peazy!

Just upgrading the signal source is simply an amazing transformation in the imaging, fidelity and bass response. Some songs will actually vibrate my seat, its that good. The only thing I've noticed about it so far is that the amp seems to have built-in volume limiting, so as you turn up the volume it will automatically dial down the bass to avoid distortion through the speakers. This is actually a good thing, nice bit of protection, just kinda annoying.

I can't say just how long the drivers will last if I push them hard on this setup, though. For now, it is a very satisfying upgrade, and since I had the head unit on the shelf, it cost me the $20 for the adapter, and the $80 rear speakers, which I already had to replace, that's it.

I may be able to get some pics if anyone wants a visual of the work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.