SaabCentral Forums banner

Radio problems

2K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  bobssaab1 
#1 ·
I just bought a 95 9000 Aero Turbo and the radio/cd player seems to be on as the display lights up and station call numbers appear, but all I get out of the speakers is snap, crackle, pop. I am simple guy and listen to talk radio mostly. just want an easy fix. :)

#4 ·
No, but the plug on the amp isn't so bad once you realize it's a trick connector. It's got 2-parts and if you push or pull or do something to one of the parts, it will come off really easy.

My radio died too and I ended up replacing it. I was able to score a unit with USB, MP3CD, AuxIn, HD Radio, and (As soon as I add a box in the future) Bluetooth too for under $100, so that didn't seem too bad.

Everybody tells you that to replace the radio you have to run wires to the back of the car, but I just removed the amp, spliced wires under the front seat, and went along my merry way.

#6 ·
I misstated myself...

I'm not sure what question I was answering, but I did all the work on the Amp without removing the front seat.

I believe I answered the unasked question "Is it possible to install a new radio without removing the amp?" To which the answer is No ;)

So to clarify 1 more time...yes you need to get at the amp to put a new stereo in, and you probably will need to get at the amp to tinker around and figure out what is going on, but No, you shouldn't necessarily have to remove the seat to get at it.

#15 ·
Try pulling the tape deck out. I just grabbed mine from the tape slot and yanked it out.

Check if the amp is at fault.

Pull out the harness from the tape deck that has nine wires (1 yellow and 4 twisted pairs).

Jump the yellow wire to + and the amp will turn on. Then you can use an ipod or something to feed audio to the twisted pairs. If it sounds OK, the amp is good and your head unit is likely junk.

#20 ·
bobssaab1 said:
I got the CD player to work. The power on the back of the unit was diconnected. I figue the proplem is in the head unit. From what I am reading I can't simply install a after market unit. I would have to by pass the amp some how. Is this true?[/QUOTE

if you want to put a new headunit in, go for it! i by-passed my amp as it was playing up occasionally (id lose all of the sound, then it might come back on some speakers). the amp is on a seperate loom so you just disconnect that and plug the speaker connections and power straight into the headunit, no splicing, cuting or anything! it all connected straight up.

i will add that im tallking about a clarion system with a luxor amp under the seat. dont know if the wiring on a us car is different!! and the headunit i put in was an alpine.

hope this helps

oh and you can take the amp out with out removing the seat as i just done it this morning:cheesy:

#21 ·
I figured out if you raise the seat as high as it will go and move it all the way forward, you can get to the amp. I noticed you needed a star head to remove the screws, is this anything special? I had an old VW rabit and it took me two weeks to get the right head to remove the clutch housing!!!

#22 ·
bobssaab1 said:
I figured out if you raise the seat as high as it will go and move it all the way forward, you can get to the amp. I noticed you needed a star head to remove the screws, is this anything special? I had an old VW rabit and it took me two weeks to get the right head to remove the clutch housing!!!
one of the star heads in the cars tool kit might fit?

you dont HAVE to remove it, i replaced my radio 7months ago and just removed the amp today, all the connections are behind the dash....you get great access if you just pop the cubby hole out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.