SaabCentral Forums banner

No Hazard warnings lights

1K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Spence9000aero 
#1 ·
I've got no hazard warning lights they do come come on when you shut the doors occasionally or tap (hard) the dash any answers are welcome thanks Spence

#4 ·
Unless what you're saying is that when you press the button you get no hazard lights.

If that's the case, with the key turned on, and the hazard lights on (but not working), flip one of your turn signals on.

If this makes the hazard lights kick in, the bad news is your blinker/hazard relay is tired. The good news is you can fix it yourself for $0, assuming you have a soldering iron.

Turns out the joints on the relay get tired and crack. If you just touch them back up with an iron the relay seems to work fine again. I recently did this to my relay and it's worked like clockwork ever since.

As long as I was going to have the glove-box out, to get to the relays, I decided to fit a VW wiper-relay as well. Best upgrade ever!

#7 ·
justin.graeff said:
I want one of those? What can I pull that out of? Which relay is it?
The following from SC Tech help page:

VW charge £35 (part number 357 955 531). They have used at least four manufacturers, Doduco, Beru, Kostal and Bosch. Doduco, German made, was fitted on the 94 Golf's and uses an SGS Thomson chip. I haven't found a UK agent. Beru (part number 0 900 301 082), also German, is on later Golf's and uses the same chip in a half height relay case. Beru tell me they no longer make this part. The Kostal (377 955 531) is Brazilian with a Motorola chip. The German car co (www.germancarcompany.co.uk) has supplied me with both the Kostal and the Beru for about £15 each. I prefer the surface mount construction of the Beru. I haven't see a Bosch (part number 0 986 335 058), but they tell me it's available and retails for £20.
I did this mod on my c900. I just looked around junkyards at late-model VW Golfs and Jettas, until I found one that had the variable intermittant wipers. The relay itself seems to have a white "99" printed on the top. IIRC the same relay is used in the c900 and 9000.

#9 ·
The one I purchased was Relay 357 955 531 with a big "99" on top.

I didn't want to go fiddle with salvage lots, so I got it for $20 shipped on eBay. Probably could have had it for half that at a salvage lot, but $20 still isn't bad IIHO for the functionality you get.

#10 ·
Saaby said:
The one I purchased was Relay 357 955 531 with a big "99" on top.

I didn't want to go fiddle with salvage lots, so I got it for $20 shipped on eBay. Probably could have had it for half that at a salvage lot, but $20 still isn't bad IIHO for the functionality you get.
It really is a very intuitive solution to that particular problem, and I don't know why more cars weren't equipped with such a thing.

Also, this thread has gone OT... ;)

#11 ·
Spence9000aero said:
With the key turned on and the hazarded switch on but not working if i press down turn indicate left or up for right there is NO hazarded flash :roll:
The hazard switch is on constant power from the battery. It should flash regardless of what you do with the key or the turn signal stalk. You need to look at the wiring diagram to diagnose it. I'll do tonight.

#12 ·
yaofeng said:
The hazard switch is on constant power from the battery. It should flash regardless of what you do with the key or the turn signal stalk. You need to look at the wiring diagram to diagnose it. I'll do tonight.

That is correct,

However if the relay is getting 'tired' than sometimes the hazard lights will not work alone, or by themselves. However if the hazards are on (or supposed to be on, but not working) and you activate a turn signal (which requires the key to be on) the hazards will come on.

Or in other words:
Key off, hazards switch on, turn signal on or off: Nothing
Key on, hazards switch off, turn signal on: Directional Indicator
Key on, hazards switch on, turn signal off: Nothing
Key on, hazards switch on, turn signal on: Hazards

#14 ·
Ok i have found that if the hazard switch is on and i hit the top of the dash on the left (uk car) they work but intermittent so if i it the relay which one is it any # or pics of location cheers Spence ps i like the sound of the VW relay for the Wipers

#15 ·
If smashing the dash makes them come on, it might be the switch itself and not the relay. The best way to test the relay is the wiper-switch test.

The VW wiper relay, in order to not pull this too far off topic, you can read more HERE. But basically it takes your intermittent wipers that are 1 speed of intermittent, and makes them programmable. Sound intriguing? Well click through and read about how it works at that link.

If anybody else goes in for the wiper relay, I already checked the VW wiper relay for compatibility with the rear wiper...and it doesn't work :( only with the front wiper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.