SaabCentral Forums banner

95 Aero - tapping noised when clutch is depressed (idling in nuetral)

512 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  twistedshadows 
#1 ·
This is for a '95 9000 Aero

When I turn on my engine, particularly in the cold, often several things happen

-The engine sometimes goes from ~900rpm to ~1000rpm and shakes the engine for less than a second, I guess this is called hard idling?

-The engine sounds nice and quiet (for an engine), and then a rapid tapping or rattling coming from the right of the engine, it doesn't seem to be coming from the manual transmision either. However when I press the clutch the sound goes away, and sometimes if I release just right the sound will stop all together.

Anyone have any ideas for these symptoms?

The car has a new clutch, rebuilt transmission, but it has 210,000 miles. Just gave it an oil change today, noise still occurs. The car is in excellent shape, with little wear, but it does need new top engine mounts.

Thanks guys I appreciated it.

#2 ·
well my first thought for a tapping noise on a engine that old would be the hydraulic lifters. from what i hear on these cars when they get a little gummed up they wont hold pressure and it takes a while for them to build pressure (after the car has sat for a day or so). but u say the noise goes away when u press the clutch so it may be something else. the only other things that could make noise (other then something lose and rattling around in the engine bay) would be the throw out bearing or something internal inside the transmission.
i dont know if that was helpful or not but i hope others will chime in with there ideas
joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.