SaabCentral Forums banner

sealing the clutch slave

726 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  twistedshadows 
#1 ·
hi every 1 i just ordered my clutch slave (new oem unit almost 200 dollars shipped but at least ill know it will last :) ) anyways i was wondering about where the slave seals to the transmission if the slave will always have a good seal there or if i should use a little rtv around the edge to make sure it will hold well. actually i was wondering if i could use rtv at all or if the brake fluid would destroy it. from what i know brake fluid is a slicone based producet and so is rtv sealant so if im right they should be compatiable?
thanks for any and all help
joe

#2 ·
Don't do anything but install it. SAAB uses an odd concentric slave cylinder that installs over the transmission input shaft. It needs nothing extra to work correctly. Make sure you put a new release bearing in also as although the release bearings are reliable if one fails you have to R& R the tranny again to replace it.

#3 ·
yea its a weird slave ive taken the tranny off 3 times now so thats not really a big deal but the down time for my car is. i was just wondering if maybe the oil seal on the tranny input shaft would have any effect to the sealing of the slave and if putting RTV around the edges would make a diffrence. i dont really car about pulling and installing the tranny thats no big deal but the down time of the car is.
thanks
joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.