SaabCentral Forums banner

Battery Dies

775 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jeff2020.ie 
#1 · (Edited)
I just bought a used 1996 saab 9000 cse 4cyl. turbo w/110000 miles from a private seller. The problem is is that it has a brand new battery that dies every night, but will restart with a jump. What could be causing this brand new battery to die?

#3 ·
Unfortunately alot of things can cause that. Have you taken the battery somewhere and had it tested. I had one that would do that once. It would get a "surface charge" and would start the car if on a charger all night but if left a few hours alone it would just click the solenoid. Have that tested first. Gotta friend with a spare battery, swap it and see.

After the battery is decided to be or not be the problem pull the negative battery terminal and with an amp guage see how much current is being drained from the battery with the ignition off. It should not be much but there will be some, the alarm system and other things use some juice all the time.

Do all of the door locks work normally, the alarm, the power windows. A friend of mine had a truck that the window relay stuck and did that.

Does it have the factory radio or aftermarket?

You might also have to start pulling fuses and seeing how much current is going through them one by one with the key off.

Hope this helps....John

#4 ·
acc reley was to blame on mine if you pull the wire of the aircon commpresser it should be quite if it mackes a load click then it on all night draining the battery change the reley it marked up in the box neer the battery there about 10euro from a car shop dont have the key in the ingnition for this test good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.