SaabCentral Forums banner

clutch slave question

815 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  91SupaSaab 
#1 ·
hi i need to replace my clutch slave ive already taken off and put on my tranny 3 times because of my tranny swap so thats no big deal maybe 4 hours tops i was looking as thesaabsite.com and they have 2 clutch slaves one costs $94 and is after market the other is $180 and is saab orgnial i know how every 1 says that anything other then orgnial saab clutch slaves will fail with in a few months i only want to change this once but i dont have a lot of money (1 of the reasons i do all my own work) the part is coming from thesaabsite.com which every 1 seems to have very few problems with so im just wondering if ther $94 clutch slave will last and/or any 1 has bought that clutch slave from them and what results they had
also has any 1 rebuilt there slave with good results its a lot cheaper $24 ive never rebuilt a slave cylinder before but i have rebuilt brake master cylinders and they always seem to work
thanks
joe

#2 ·
i believe if you do the job in a clean work area, use decent quality parts and do the job properly step by step, you should have no issues. That said however some jobs turn out to be more of a pain rebuilding than it would have been forking out the extra $$ for a part and just installing it.

#3 ·
well for me it doesnt matter how hard it is ill get it done my biggest problem is i dont have 175 dollars to shell out for a slave right now but i need my car but i dont want to pay 94 dollars and within a few months have the slave die and be back where i started but with less money then the first time im just trying to figure out what would be the cheapest but most reliable way to make sure i dont have a bad slave within a few months
joe

#5 ·
Conventional wisdom is to go OEM with this part

There are a number of posts on the Saabnet board about the ScanTech slave failing prematurely. Given the effort required to replace if it goes bad, I would go with the SAAB part. You can save yourself a little bit by ordering form EEuroparts where the part is $165. I have found their customer service to be very good

#7 ·
yeah, i second the OEM one, bought an AFT slave from thesaabsite for my '91 9000T, and after ~2 months of light driving the clutch pedal has stuck to the floor... not 100% sure if its the slave, but this seems a lot like slave failure. I'm really kicking myself for not buying OEM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.