SaabCentral Forums banner

Good News Everyone

580 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  justin.graeff 
#1 ·
Well, my father was out of town this week, so he left me his car to drive. I thought I would take this opportunity to do some work on the Saab in the garage while I have full access to it and another car to drive. My main goal was to get the new SCC working, along with get my new gray carpet in to replace the blue (to match my new gray seats). Anyway, I ripped the entire dash apart, ripped the seats out, and ripped the carpet out. While I had everything out, I decided to would do some wire tracing to see if I could fix some non-working electronics.

When I first got the car, the dome lights never worked. Later on, I found out the car had electric locks (I didn't know) but those weren't working either. Also, the trunk button didn't work so I thought it was a fuse. When I checked it out, it was blown, so I tried to replace it, but it would blow immediately. I couldn't figure it out so I stopped caring and lived without electric locks and interior lighting.

This weekend, while the car was stripped of everything, I traced through the car and couldn't find the answer. I then traced the wiring into the trunk and found that the wiring going into the trunk had split completely in half at the hinge and had then fused together because of the shorting out. So I pulled it all apart and rewired it back together. I then did some more wiring work up in the dash, and finally got my car back together.

Well, I plugged the battery back in and noticed my door courtesy lights were on. Yay! That's good news. I then cleaned everything up and closed all the doors. I locked it and everything in the car, the trunk, and the gas cap all locked. YAY! Well, I got into my car and started it up. The new SCC was of course not working right. Oh well, no big deal. Then I tried to hit the info button, and when i do that, it turns all the dash lights off! As long as I contine to hold the button, the lights stay off. As soon as I let go, they go back on. Very strange. Also, my speedometer isn't working now. I must have missed a connection, but that doesn't make sense because I swore I plugged them all back in on the back of the instrument panel. I guess this means I am going to have to take the dash top off again and mess around. Boo hoo for me!

So, good news is I finally get to experience a lighted, lockable Saab 9000 for the first time!

See less See more
#2 ·
By SCC you mean the clock located trip computer? There are two different models of these throughout the model year for the car.

If you have a car later than around 1996 there is a SCC unit that uses both plugs that normally plug into the clock. If it's earlier than that, you need to use a loom that's tied off in the back.

However, if the car came with it and it's supposed to work.. that's an entire different problem

#3 ·
Yeah, the digital trip computer. I've got every thread having to do with the SCC saved in my bookmarks because I never knew how to wire it up. I have the right one for my year, and I ended up finding the loom the other day. I am going from the analog clock to the digital, so I had to find the extra loom. I was beginning to think it didn't exist, but I found it.

Anyway, I am thinking it may be the unit itself. I have another one that I am going to test and figure out what's wrong. I also may have crossed some wires too so I will have to sort that out.

#4 ·
I got the wiring issue sorted out. I tried one of my SCC's and it worked when I put it in, however the sun sensor in it was not working because the EDU on my dash was extremely dim. I tried my other SCC didn't work when I put it in, however it appeared the sun sensor did work in that one. So, I gave up and put the old one back in. I will just have to keep waiting before I find a working SCC.

Having Central Locks has been great. All the doors open when I unlock the door, the alarm now works (accidentally found that out), and the dome/courtesy/trunk lights now work. It has been great to have all these working functions on the car now. It's like I have a brand new car!

#5 ·
I know how repairs sometimes feel like upgrades :lol:

Hopefully you'll find what doesn't work in the speedometer, but before taking the dash top out, try to disconnect the SCC. I know it's supposed to read the speed signal from the speedo, so maybe it's giving it some trouble in working.

#6 ·
Stefano said:
I know how repairs sometimes feel like upgrades :lol:

Hopefully you'll find what doesn't work in the speedometer, but before taking the dash top out, try to disconnect the SCC. I know it's supposed to read the speed signal from the speedo, so maybe it's giving it some trouble in working.
Too late on that one! =] I took the dash off yesterday and realized I hadn't fully snapped in the plug on the back of the instrument panel. A quick click in and it worked again. I will just have to save the SCC for another day. The analog clock will have to deal now.

My next step is getting the dash and side seat belt trim changed over to gray. Those are the last two parts to completely change the entire interior. Gray looks so much better than blue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.