A new toy to play with... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: A new toy to play with...

Saab2.0T
9th February 2009, 03:32 AM
Last year i took 1st place at the drag strip running in our DEi Sport Compact class and ended up winning $750 cash, a certificate for 50% off any DEi products and their DEi CryO2 Intercooler sprayer kit.

The kit pretty much does as it sounds. It takes liquid CO2 and sprays it into the intercooler fins to make the air passing threw super cold.

I haven't installed the kit yet due to money problems and with income taxes coming in would allow me to install it. I was wondering how i should install it. I know that our IC is behind the radiator so should i just swap the two or plan on buying a aftermarket IC?

Also what do you guys think about this CryO2 system?

http://www.designengineering.com/images/products/Cry02_TankInstallKit_Web_30.jpg
The Kit
http://www.designengineering.com/images/products/IC%20sprayer%20comparison300.jpg
The ring that attaches to your IC (i have the middle one)

cjhutch
9th February 2009, 05:49 AM
You need to upgrade to a frount mount before installing that. I think it would be a real waste using that on the stock intercooler setup.

Saab2.0T
9th February 2009, 01:16 PM
Do you guys know of any web sites where i don't have to pay an arm and leg for an IC? And one that would fit the best on our cars? I would like to take this all out in one shot.

Sirhc
9th February 2009, 03:34 PM
I would do a search but, I think someone installed a evo intercooler with no major problems.

turbosupra12
9th February 2009, 04:22 PM
ebay/kijiji probably... get the dimensions form an IC you know will work, and find one the same size, with same inlet/outlet locations...

Molitoth
9th February 2009, 05:36 PM
I would do a search but, I think someone installed a evo intercooler with no major problems.

I did the Evo FMIC. Pretty much anything under 3" width will work fine.

Search this forum for intercooler threads... you will find tons of info on sizing.

That spray bottle isn't going to do jack for you on a stock IC, hell it might not even do anything on a new FMIC.... I'm skeptical anyway.

I would toss that on if I had a major turbo upgrade with a Tune that would support it.

97civicexvtec
10th February 2009, 02:19 AM
I've dyno'd a Jetta 1.8T with Cryo2 and it made a whopping 4 more horsepower..

Sirhc
10th February 2009, 12:01 PM
I guess the cyro increase really depends on how "bad" your intercooler has cooling/flowing.

Gomo187
10th February 2009, 03:25 PM
It would probably help if you were drag racing or track racing in near 100 degree temps. Other than that you wont see a difference kickin around town.

sqandspl
11th February 2009, 01:35 PM
well come on guy...what did you run?

Gomo187
11th February 2009, 05:48 PM
well come on guy...what did you run?

What are you talking about and who are you talking to?

Saab2.0T
13th February 2009, 06:42 PM
I ended up running a 15.1 with just a BSR Intake as my only mod. Im hoping that this kit would at least get me down into the high 14's. But once i get it installed ill have it dynoed to see what it really does.

Wilder
13th February 2009, 07:01 PM
The problem is that you need a lot of C02 to make a good performance.

Your intercooler is made of aluminium who have a really good thermal transfert. So when your compressed air pass throw the intercooler, the intercooler take some second to take back the air temperature.

If you want a big difference you need to spray your intercooler non stop all your dyno run.

I made the test with a Mazda3speed, we blow a fire extinguisher on the top mount intercooler and it's take some second to comeback hot.

Saab2.0T
14th February 2009, 06:07 PM
The kit that i have has a 10 pound tank. They say that if you hold down the spray button it will last 3 to 4 min.

I just ordered a FMIC off of Ebay. Its 27x7x2.5 with 2.5 openings. Does the size matter? I seen people with different sizes on the forums so i tried to stay close to what other people had. Hopefully this helps out with the CO2 kit.

http://i4.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/f1/07/13ae_1.JPG

comtrang
15th February 2009, 04:12 AM
The kit that i have has a 10 pound tank. They say that if you hold down the spray button it will last 3 to 4 min.

I just ordered a FMIC off of Ebay. Its 27x7x2.5 with 2.5 openings. Does the size matter? I seen people with different sizes on the forums so i tried to stay close to what other people had. Hopefully this helps out with the CO2 kit.

http://i4.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/f1/07/13ae_1.JPG

More front surface area, the more cooling opportunity. As far as intercooler plumbing size goes, think of it as the same as the effects of exhaust sizing.

DanS
15th February 2009, 10:08 AM
How does the increased intercooler interior capacity affect turbo lag? Will the same amount of CO2 cool a larger amount of surface area...or will it require a larger shot? Maybe he should have gotten the larger sprayer?

wtfwill
15th February 2009, 12:09 PM
mine's 27x10x3 and i've never noticed any sort of turbo lag.. had the FMIC for almost a year now.

Saab2.0T
16th February 2009, 01:37 AM
Do i need any special hoses or clamps when i install the new IC? I don't want to have the car tore apart and find out that i can attach the stock piping to the new IC.

And anyone have any tips or tricks that has installed a FMIC before?

sqandspl
17th February 2009, 06:55 AM
so thats a 15.1 with the BSR intake, but not the BSR PPC right..if so..thats pretty darn good!!

Saab2.0T
21st February 2009, 12:13 PM
yeah that's just with the intake. I was hoping with this car being a turbo that it would at least be in the high 14's stock.... guess not :(