Variable intermittent wiper relay installed [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Variable intermittent wiper relay installed

StormCrow
08-02-09, 10:49 AM
Just went out (in the rain) and installed the 'intermittent wiper relay from a VW' mod - very impressed with the difference!

Got lucky - removed the screw that holds the heater duct in place to allow a little movement (this is a RHD obviously!). Stuck my hand up in the space with the hazards on and felt for a clicking. The first relay you come to is the hazard lamp relay. I removed this to allow access to the other relay (wiper relay).

Pulled it out after a bit of contortionism - compared it to the replacment, held my breath, and bingo - it went in easily! (Thanking my lucky stars for that!).

Replaced the other relay again and screwed the heater duct back up.

Very easy and worthwhile mod!

philjohnhb
09-02-09, 03:53 AM
I agree, it makes such a difference to have a 'modern' wiper function.

KurBads
09-02-09, 04:33 AM
so how do you control it? I mean I understand that you installed something that allows to adjust pause length between wipes ...

ejenner
09-02-09, 04:39 AM
It's controlled by the way you activate the relay. i.e. how you move the wiper stalk.

Can't remember the exact operating instructions but it involves turning the wiper on and off and pausing for the amount of delay you want to have when the intermittent wiper starts.

philjohnhb
09-02-09, 04:55 AM
Yep, switch on delay, switch off again while wipers still sweeping, wait the time interval that you want the delay to work at (up to 30 secs), switch back on and leave. The wipers will work at that time delay for as long as it is switched on. To re set, go through the process again. Normal delay is 6 secs.

KurBads
09-02-09, 04:59 AM
Yep, switch on delay, switch off again while wipers still sweeping, wait the time interval that you want the delay to work at (up to 30 secs), switch back on and leave. The wipers will work at that time delay for as long as it is switched on. To re set, go through the process again. Normal delay is 6 secs.

how it`s called and where to get one?

philjohnhb
09-02-09, 05:47 AM
They are installed in VW golf and Polo and are a straight swap for the saab relay. Made by DODUCO part No: 359700100126 and by BERU Part No: 0900301082

TooMany2cvs
09-02-09, 07:22 AM
how it`s called and where to get one?

All you need to know...
http://www.saabcentral.com/techhelp/c900/intermittent_wipers.php

It really does make a HUGE difference - I rarely use "normal" wipers now, just varying the intermittent delay according to conditions.

switch off again while wipers still sweeping

Don't even need to do that - just switch off at ANY time, and if the wipers aren't sweeping, you'll get one sweep on switching off, so that you can "time" it easily. It's wonderful. I much prefer it to "normal" variable-delay, where you have a slider or twist to set the delay.

ejenner
09-02-09, 07:45 AM
Would you not prefer an infinitely adjustable pot switch on the dash? One of our old Volvo's had one of those when I was a kid. It did not have intermittant wipers by default so the accessory was installed.

StormCrow
09-02-09, 09:24 AM
Nope - I prefer this. Easy to use because it's 'built in', no other switches required and it can be adjusted in literally seconds...

Also - I think the time delay is up to around 60 seconds - which is more than adaquate!

KurBads
09-02-09, 09:27 AM
OK, very tempting. Anyone could point to an online source? Why pfs.com or elkparts do not offer them?

TooMany2cvs
09-02-09, 09:33 AM
OK, very tempting. Anyone could point to an online source? Why pfs.com or do not offer them?

They're plentiful and cheap used, and probably expensive new.
Try ebay 350164012168 - Five quid, plus a bit of postage.

KurBads
09-02-09, 09:39 AM
They're plentiful and cheap used, and probably expensive new.
Try ebay 350164012168 - Five quid, plus a bit of postage.

thank`s. He`s sending to UK. I asked if he wouldn`t mind sendin over the Channel (BE). We`ll see.

If not, would anybody be willing to receive it in UK and then send over to me at my expense?

Thank`s!

TooMany2cvs
09-02-09, 09:43 AM
If not, would anybody be willing to receive it in UK and then send over to me at my expense?

Of course. PM me if he won't post to the EU. Gawd knows why he wouldn't, it's the same amount of work...

KurBads
09-02-09, 09:49 AM
Of course. PM me if he won't post to the EU. Gawd knows why he wouldn't, it's the same amount of work...

thank`s man! I`ll PM you if need will be.

unkleG'sif
09-02-09, 07:50 PM
the best bit about the relay, is when you pull the stalk to give a quick squirt of the washer (no water actually comes out), you only get ONE sweep of the wipers, not the usual 3 or 4 you get with the saab relay ;)

G

ejenner
10-02-09, 07:36 AM
Actually the best variation of that functionality is to have no wiping action when the washer jet is fired. That way you can wet the window and all the stuck on dirt and dust before you wipe. When the window is wet and the washer water has fully soaked the windscreen then you can flick the stalk down to wipe the window. More likely to get a clean wipe first time and it does not damage your wiper blades or wear them out as quickly.

The Saab 99 also has the feature where if you flick the stalk all the way down to position-3 then you get the washers squirting full-time and the wipers moving at their fastest rate all at once... it's like a mad sort of 'rally' version of the screen-washing function. But you don't get intermittiant wipers as a consquence. Slow, Fast, then Fast With Washer - it's quite mad. :cool:

TheRedBaron
10-02-09, 08:34 AM
This sounds great!

unkleG'sif
10-02-09, 12:57 PM
Actually the best variation of that functionality is to have no wiping action when the washer jet is fired. That way you can wet the window and all the stuck on dirt and dust before you wipe. When the window is wet and the washer water has fully soaked the windscreen then you can flick the stalk down to wipe the window. More likely to get a clean wipe first time and it does not damage your wiper blades or wear them out as quickly.

thats wierd.... mine doesnt do this, nor does my mk3 golf that i drive every day
ok, so there is a leak on the pipe on the golf somewhere so the water dies drain back out of the aquiters a bit and doesnt come out immediately, but on Saabarella with the same relay, the water comes out at the same time as the wipers start.....

G

ejenner
10-02-09, 01:01 PM
what you have is right. What I was talking about was functionality that does not exist... just how I would like it to work in an ideal world.

unkleG'sif
10-02-09, 01:03 PM
i need to learn to read posts properly.... ;oops:

G

regnisfon20
04-03-09, 04:53 PM
I just put one in this morning. I think I am going to like the new functionality from it.. now just if it would rain..

KurBads
05-03-09, 02:43 PM
missed few 2 offered on ebay.co.uk
being busy, forgot about them
looking for next one to appear