steering wheel mod [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: steering wheel mod

2fast2furious
23rd August 2003, 09:33 PM
ive seen some custom steering wheels that you can put in a saab, but does anyone know if its possible to take the steering wheel from the brand new 9-3 and 9-5 and swap it with the existing steering wheel, ps my car is a 95 9000 cse

Simon
24th August 2003, 03:48 AM
I'm nor sure, but I would have thought the hubs are different.

jim_mcghee
1st September 2003, 05:47 AM
I would have thought that the electrical connections also would be different :roll:

triggrhaapi
1st September 2003, 02:16 PM
For those of us with non-airbag cars, it's a snap, for others, however, it's not. One thing you might have to worry about is the number of sensors and the voltages of the sensors used in the newer saabs versus those used in older airbag 9000s. In miatas (only airbag wheel replacement I know, sorry) the first gen uses the same connectors but the airbag is not electrically compatible. You can also simply disable the airbag completely and simply switch to an aftermarket non-airbag wheel. Of course then you'd have two problems:

1) depending on your skills as an electrician, you might have an annoying SRS light to contend with

2) Your insurance would go up as you get a credit for having an airbag in your car.

zingZACH
3rd October 2003, 03:09 AM
LOL.... here is a last resort.... well... actually.... I think the 9000's have the SRS light where the door indicators are.... right? well. i was going to say.. if you had a classic 900.. just take the SRS light bulb out.. although you probably could do the same on a 9000 (but much trickier). The classic 900 has the SRS bulb right near the speaker, so it is very easy to remove. I did this to my c900T.... the light was flashing and bothering me a lot, so i removed it... took bout 10 sec to do. lol... This is only until I get the SRS reset (I accidentally disconnected the SRS cable or something when taking the Instrument Cluster out of my car, and you must have the TECH2 to reset it. Oh well). Also, you may be able to get the SRS light deactivated by your local dealership. I am not sure though, I dont know much about 9k's. Good luck! 8)

Rhich
4th October 2003, 09:40 AM
As far as I can tell there are way to many differences between the wheels and hubs….
Not to mention electrical connections and what not….
Not saying it can’t be done… but would imagine a lot of work would be involved in doing it….
The 9000’s really don’t have a “hub” like the 900’s or the 9-3’s which may make the wheel sit higher or lower in relation to the stock location on the column….

Wolverine
20th December 2003, 01:29 AM
You can also simply disable the airbag completely and simply switch to an aftermarket non-airbag wheel. Of course then you'd have two problems:

1) depending on your skills as an electrician, you might have an annoying SRS light to contend with

2) Your insurance would go up as you get a credit for having an airbag in your car.

Just to point out, you'd have a third problem as well -- you'd have no airbag, and thus have significantly less protection in case of an accident. (There's a reason they're put in.)

This can actually be illegal in some places as well, I believe.

(I would love to get that sport wheel advertised in the new Saab materials, though...)