Best A-Pillar single gauge pod for NG900 Convertible? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Best A-Pillar single gauge pod for NG900 Convertible?

Moosepuck
30-01-09, 11:22 AM
I've been searching, and I'm hearing to use one from a Ford Excursion, someone said an S10....... GS site states that there's isn't for a CV... Who has one and what did you use? I don't mind using the heat gun where needed. I plan on putting my a/f meter there.... My boost gauge is in the headlight switch and I'll use Sleet's pod for my oil stats. Thanks for any info.

ND4SPD_900T
30-01-09, 02:33 PM
I have the GS version on my 96 convertible. I'm sure it does not fit as perfectly as it does in the hardtops, but I have still recieve a lot of compliments and I have no complaints. I'll try and see if I can find a few pictures to post.

Moosepuck
30-01-09, 02:42 PM
Yes please!... pics would be great, I've wondered awhile what the difference is...

99Saabnut
30-01-09, 02:44 PM
The convertible A-Pillars are a bit thicker and sturdier than the hard tops as they compose one of the main structural points for both overall rigidity and rollover protection. ;)

Moosepuck
30-01-09, 02:45 PM
yes... :) that part is known... but is the shape that different? i'd like to see pics of the hardtop pod on a vert...is it that far off that it can't be easily worked to fit well?

ND4SPD_900T
30-01-09, 03:08 PM
It doesn't fit too bad. It does have to be a bit pressed down and stretched before attached though. Like I said I'll have to find a few pics.

99Saabnut
30-01-09, 03:09 PM
Aah gotcha. sorry :cheesy:

Well I had a 99 9-3 5 door prior to my current 02 9-3 Vert; and the shape was noticeably different, yes. The 99's a pillars were a bit thinner side to side and more rounded across the front facing the driver; the Vert's are wider and more triangular (stick out farther from the windshield)

Moosepuck
30-01-09, 03:11 PM
Pics Pics Pics!!! :)

saabchilten
30-01-09, 03:57 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/burgessmw/Other%20Stuff/this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif
i wanna see too.

Moosepuck
30-01-09, 07:52 PM
exactly.!!!

ND4SPD_900T
30-01-09, 11:02 PM
Sorry the pics took a while. I'm at school and the Saab's back at home but my dad grabbed a few shots and sent them to me.

As you can see it doesn't fit too bad but you can also see the scratches that I made in the A-Pillar when installing it. The plastic has some sort of coating on it and it was very easily scratched by the plastic of the pod. I didn't realize it until after I was finished but fortunately it is not as noticable as the pictures make it look!

Otherwise, there are no real visible fitment issue when the door is closed. When the door is open as you can see there is about a 1" gap.

Hope this helps.

Moosepuck
30-01-09, 11:24 PM
Awesome!..... looks great actually! :) I'll probably purchase one soon if nobody else shows any better results. Thanks for posting the pics!...

Moosepuck
30-01-09, 11:25 PM
Tell your dad thanks too by the way!!! :)

LJ[MaVErICK]
30-01-09, 11:53 PM
http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_225&products_id=2480 http://www.partsforsaabs.com/images/PFS902480.gif

LJ[MaVErICK]
30-01-09, 11:54 PM
there are a few others on pfs too. take a look and see if thats any help its not too expensive either 25 i think

ND4SPD_900T
31-01-09, 02:14 AM
Thanks and no problem on the pics. Its hard to tell from the pictures of the ones from PFS but I am definitely impressed with the location of the GS pod when driving; it seems to be at perfect eye level with no glare at all.

Whatever you decide make sure you put post some pics of the finished product! What kind of boost gauge is it?

John Z Williams
31-01-09, 03:13 PM
I think besides getting a universal one from advance or autozone, the ones Nick has in the states from speed parts I beleive is about the best fitting ones and will require the least amount of work to make look nice.

To really make em nice, you cover the A-pillar and pod with a wrap that ties it all together and makes for a professional looking install. This would take a upholstery shop or some good diy skills,

John

LJ[MaVErICK]
01-02-09, 01:01 AM
oh yea one other idea is instead of it being on the a piller, it can be down next to the a/c. search dash gauge= sick tthere are pics and info there. you go to gs and find the cell phone holder and cut out a hole for your gauge.