cheapest, easiest way to add HP? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: cheapest, easiest way to add HP?

raphster
12th March 2002, 03:08 PM
I have a 92 900s convert, without having to install significant mods to my engine, what can I do to add some more power? and of course I don't want to spend thousands either.

Thanks

Janne Selinummi
12th March 2002, 06:35 PM
If that's a non-turbo 900S, then there isn't an avful lot you can do cheaply. If you want some noticeable increase in power and performance, new camshaft(s) will be needed along with enlargening the inlet/outlet ports of the cylnder head, plus a free-flowing sports exhaust. The cheapest upgrades include cone air filters and chip mods (your car is a 16V, right?), but together these will give you only about 10 hp extra. If you want any serious power out of the car, it could eventually prove less expensive to retrofit a turbo engine than to modify the N/A unit extensively.

Smackrazor
12th March 2002, 07:02 PM
Cheapest is an open air filter. Just put it on the other end of your AMM and there you go, instant 1-3hp plus nicer throttle response for around $60.

raphster
12th March 2002, 08:01 PM
I was thinking of an after market air filter, but wasn't sure that would add any HP. Forgot about a chip upgrade, what do those run? are they about ~$100?

And a better exhaust system would give me how many more HP? will it make much diff on a 16v N. Amer 4 banger?

I'm not looking for "fast and furious" type mods, I just need to get this doggy moving a little faster to get on the highway.

Smackrazor
13th March 2002, 12:16 AM
Cheapest thing you can do besides the intake is probably do and engine swap with a saab 900 turbo, but that's gets messy and you need to take meticulous care in putting it all together.

Exhaust upgrade isn't too much of a good idea on an N/A since you need the backpressure caused by the exhaust gases to pull out more gas (otherwise you would actually lose power by putting a new exhaust on there).

saab16valve
13th March 2002, 10:12 AM
How bout a high performance manifold? From swedish dynamics

Fan-TC
14th March 2002, 12:06 AM
Got a good idea for free horsepower.
Insure your car, disconnect the brakes, and send your mother-in-law for a drive.

Then buy somthing else...

(*sorry, just being cynical)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fan-TC on Mar 14, 2002 4:08am ]</font>

saabnewbie
5th June 2002, 04:25 AM
Mods:
Exhaust Manifold Upgrade-250
Exhaust System Upgrade-45
K&amp;N Filter Upgrade-80

Cheapest way to modify.

Mark Harrison
5th June 2002, 04:44 PM
What about a rising rate fuel pressure regulator - wouldn't that help?Just that I was thinking about getting one for my N/A 900.
Mark

automec1062
6th June 2002, 12:20 AM
the rising rate regulator is for when you get into boost (turbo ) and need more fuel for all the boost you just dialed into your wastegate

mike

Lui
6th June 2002, 04:43 PM
A rising rate might not be the best for a non-turbo, but a fuel pressure regulator would, if you brought more air into the motor. Now we are talking a new head and perhaps enlarged intake manifold. . . .