nooby here [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: nooby here

saab 900 tuner
21st January 2009, 10:17 PM
hey there guys,
ive been navigating my way around the forum for about a week now and i have a few questions...
i have a 97 900se turbo and i was wondering if i were to put a maunal boost controller in to my car how much can i up the boost before something breaks or blows up?

also im looking for a good website to buy perfomance parts from?(injectors,fuel pump, cam,ect.....

thanks in advance

saabchilten
21st January 2009, 10:59 PM
welcome to sc! :D

i would say try some search for manual boost cut off, but i just remembered search throws out 3 letter words. perhaps try "manual boost cutoff" and see what you get, though i'm sure someone knows it.

genuinesaab (http://www.genuinesaab.com) is excellent for upgrades, and eeuroparts (http://www.eeuroparts.com) is excellent for parts for repairs.

David in Tallahassee
21st January 2009, 11:13 PM
hey there guys,
ive been navigating my way around the forum for about a week now and i have a few questions...
i have a 97 900se turbo and i was wondering if i were to put a maunal boost controller in to my car how much can i up the boost before something breaks or blows up?

also im looking for a good website to buy perfomance parts from?(injectors,fuel pump, cam,ect.....

thanks in advance

How much boost before something breaks or blows up in an unanswerable question.

As for how far your factory ECU configuration will give you before shutting down your fun...15.5-16PSI peak. Any setting over that and somewhere, in some gear, you'll nail the fuel cut.

D-

comtrang
21st January 2009, 11:57 PM
With stock ECU, like Dave said, the max PSI you can get out is around 16psi. Any higher than that while trying to accelerate and you'll hit fuel cut, which is one huge jerk.

They've mentioned some good sites for performance parts - if you're looking for an MBC, try Joe P or Smart Performance. Smart performance is run by a Saab guy so he'll have exactly what you need.

If you've got some money to work with, a stage 1 or 2 tuned ECU would give you a nice performance bump as well that can be complimented with a 3" full exhaust and intercooler later on, at which that point you could get a stage 3 tune.

Lots of options, have a look around the forum.

saab 900 tuner
22nd January 2009, 12:14 AM
so i was just looking on the genuine saab website and i found that stage 3 upgrade u were talking about and was wondering if i were to get that would i need anything else to get the said amount of HPStg3 Hp 260 and 280 Tq (+ Downpipe w Sportcat)

thanks

Troll_speed
22nd January 2009, 12:17 AM
so i was just looking on the genuine saab website and i found that stage 3 upgrade u were talking about and was wondering if i were to get that would i need anything else to get the said amount of HPStg3 Hp 260 and 280 Tq (+ Downpipe w Sportcat)

thanks

A new clutch

saab 900 tuner
22nd January 2009, 12:37 AM
its sad to say but i have an auto:roll:

comtrang
22nd January 2009, 03:00 AM
If you've got an automatic, then "typically" you don't wanna go a whole lot higher than stage 3.

Anyway, for a stage 3 tune, you'll want full 3" exhaust, meaning from turbo to muffler. Downpipe back. A large intercooler is highly recommended also, but not 100% necessary to make a lot more power. However if you want to see that power for more than 1 gear, get an intercooler.

It's late and I'm tired so that's all I feel like reiterating for the moment so I'll let someone else add on from here unless it's enough to get you started.

9-3Pilot
22nd January 2009, 09:39 AM
Handling mods first, then power mods. There is no point to all the power if you can't control it. At the very least, get a 22.5mm rear swaybar and a steering rack brace and clamp from genuinesaab.com. Then, you can move on to the engine.

saabchilten
22nd January 2009, 04:11 PM
don't forget the 6 point subframe brace or shock tower brace! i am totally getting the tower brace, and there are great reviews on it.

green machine
22nd January 2009, 05:48 PM
its sad to say but i have an auto:roll:

You are still welcome here slush box or not.... The manual by far is more fun and you can go higher in tune. Although a few here are doing fine at higher than stage 3 in their autos. The auto can still be made respectable and if you find yourself sitting in traffic on 94 at rush hour it will be a relief..... I find the gearing in the 5sp at times unbearable in stop and go.....

JonRush01
22nd January 2009, 07:38 PM
don't forget the 6 point subframe brace or shock tower brace! i am totally getting the tower brace, and there are great reviews on it.

I've been eyeing that tower brace as well i've heard absolutely nothing but good about that so far and everything I've bought from Nick has been awesome. $90-95 for the ARB is definitely one of the most bang for the buck mods you can do, very easy to install too.

I'd definitely grab some parts from GS if you're into modding, eEuroparts for repairs like saabchilten recommended. I just ordered from them tuesday chose free shipping and the package arrived today. :D

Meek
22nd January 2009, 08:30 PM
hey there guys,

thanks in advance

My **** breaks without adding boost. But since adding boost, I immediately need a clutch.:evil: