EcoTek [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: EcoTek

jim_mcghee
20-08-03, 05:20 AM
Hi, I am going to fit the EkoTech tomy Saab 9000, has anyone had any experience?
Jim

Marrk
20-08-03, 06:33 AM
They will only work properly on a non turbo Saab, I've spoke to the company about this.

Simon
20-08-03, 06:53 AM
That's odd, I know of a few people who have fitted them to C900 Turbo's and got reasonable power / improved fuel economy?

Did they say why?

Marrk
20-08-03, 08:20 AM
It was something to do with forced induction rather than vacuum induction. The valve only works on vacuum and allows an air bleed into the inlet manifold under certain conditions. As most of the time on a turbo the manifold is force fed it remains closed thus it is redundant. I'll dig out the full info later.

Just spoke to one of their experts and he confirms what I've said again. If you drive round town below 2000 -2500 revs off boost then you will get some benefits but once the turo is pumping the valve is redundant.

jim_mcghee
21-08-03, 07:47 PM
I have a non Turbo, so it is ok for me!
cheers

Alex
25-08-03, 01:44 PM
As most of our cars probably spend around 95% of the time running without boost then most of the fuel economy benefits should be realised.

26-08-03, 03:52 AM
I tried but couldn't get one to work on my Trionic 9000. I bought it not for fuel economy, 'co I knew it would have no effect, but for idle emissions, hoping to be able to run my car without a cat for the MOT test. It didn't work- I couldn't achieve any noticable improvement in emissions.

I do not believe it can work reliably on a turbo car for improving fuel economy. Even at relatively low loads, the turbo is still raising the intake pressure slightly, meaning that the valve won't open properly. I'd have to disagree with you 95% figure Alex- unless you're talking only about a boost above atmospheric pressure. At most of the rest of the time, the turbo is still working to raise the intake pressure above the vacuum at idle.

Alex
26-08-03, 06:18 AM
I was meaning the manifold pressure, which is where the Ecotek would be plumbed in to.

With the pressure drop across the throttle plate, especially when it is nearly closed, I accept that the pressure between the throttle body and turbo is probably +ve over a much wider rpm range than the manifold pressures.

CtrlAltDel
27-08-03, 04:45 AM
I've got an Ecotek, and I must say I don't spend an awful lot of time on boost around town, which is where most of my driving is done :-? It hasn't done wonderful things to my fuel consumption, the trip computer says 22mpg (for a CSE 2.3T), which is an improvement of about 5%, since it was saying 21mpg before (either that or a long drive round the M25 to Suffolk skewed the figures upwards :lol: )