Newbie with 9000cs Low Pressure Turbo [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Newbie with 9000cs Low Pressure Turbo

glpsg
19th August 2003, 07:50 PM
Hi All,

After much research I've just gone and bought myself a 9000 CS 5 Speed with the Low Pressure Turbo.

I've searched the boards and got some good ideas but I'm looking for simple mods that will boost performance without my wife finding out I've had a 'play'!

Can anyone point me to some web sites with some simple tech write ups or provide some suggestions.

I'm guessing that there is a fair bit of room to tune this car and 200 HP should be fairly simple.

Anyone from the land down under? If so, where do you go for parts?

Thanks
Paul

Simon
20th August 2003, 03:51 AM
Welcome to Saabcentral.

Here are a couple to start with...

http://www.kyankton.net/index.htm

http://www.saab9000.com

djtaylor
31st August 2003, 03:52 AM
Hi All,

After much research I've just gone and bought myself a 9000 CS 5 Speed with the Low Pressure Turbo.

I've searched the boards and got some good ideas but I'm looking for simple mods that will boost performance without my wife finding out I've had a 'play'!

Can anyone point me to some web sites with some simple tech write ups or provide some suggestions.

I'm guessing that there is a fair bit of room to tune this car and 200 HP should be fairly simple.

Anyone from the land down under? If so, where do you go for parts?

Thanks
Paul
Hi, using Hubbys password. Mate believe me your wife will know that you have had a play, you can't resist the urge to play with the car, from a Saab wife.

NickP
1st September 2003, 08:52 AM
(long...)

An easy(ish) and FREE mod that I did to my '94 9000 LPT was to remove the "snorkel" from the air box and to cut another hole in it using a circular cutter.

This gave an instant improvement in power across the rev range! It now has low end power without having to pre-spin up the turbo before pulling away quickly (or the turbo just spins up much more quickly!)

Sorry I don't have any pictures but I did see some about some time ago on one of these forums. But the snorkel should be called a "Strangulator"!!!!

What you have to do is this:

1.) Remove the air filter.

2.) Remove the plastic covers underneath the front near side bumper (Fender in American speak).
This can be a bit of a pain as the nut inserts can rust. I managed to get all but one out but I could bend the plastic panel out of the way to gain access.

3.) Look up into the exposed recess and you should see the plastic end cover of the air box. You can remove it by un-clipping the spring clips spaces around the edge.
This is where you need long bendy and strong fingers as they can be tricky to ping off. The one at the top of the air box was very tricky and I managed to get a short screwdriver in and ping it off that way. Note you cannot see half of the clips so you will need to feel you way around. I did get a few cuts and scrapes doing it, so be hard and take the pain, it well worth it!
4.) You should then be able to pull the end cover out; it’s a bit of a squeeze so just pull!

5.) Look at the “Snorkel” and think “Bloody Hell! How is anything supposed to breathe through that?”
Remove it and on the flat bit opposite the intake hole cut another hole. You can miss this out if you want as I don’t know if it made any real difference but I had the tools and so it took 10 seconds to do!

6.) Stick it all back together and go for a blast!

The only down side it that the induction noise is much louder but hay, who cares!