Whats the best air intake / airfilter [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Whats the best air intake / airfilter

mathblaster
16th August 2003, 03:47 PM
I'm going to get some sort of air intake and I wanted to here your opinions on them, basically all I know of is the one abbott makes, the one speedparts sells, or some sort of drop in filter for the stock box. I really don't want to suck water into my engine, like abbott did on their project car. So right now I'm leaning towards the one from speedparts, but I'm not sure of the water danger on that one. I really don't mind the intake noise, actually I kinda like it. :lol:

So let me know what you experts think.

p.s. do you think I'd be able to fit a k&n cone filter on the speedparts intake...

murphwiz
16th August 2003, 03:51 PM
Welcome to Saabcentral!

Both intake systems will suffer from water ingress if its too deep, even the std setup is far from ideal in that situation, personally I'd stick with std airbox and use a 'performance' filter...

If you go speedparts, why bother with k&n when a superior filter is supplied?

BernardK
9th October 2003, 11:56 AM
Where is the air filter btw?
I can't seem to find it.

Thot of trying the JR ones!

Simon
9th October 2003, 12:17 PM
See here...

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_178&products_id=1185

murphwiz
9th October 2003, 01:37 PM
If your looking at front of car, the air filter is housed behind left hand fog lamp area..
Changed from underneath!

Simon
9th October 2003, 01:43 PM
When I was in Sweden recently there was a 9-5 estate that had a K&N cone filter on it and a Hirsch bumper kit? They told me they had no problems with water etc.,

murphwiz
9th October 2003, 01:53 PM
Depends on your area I supposse!

Round this area, it can be fairly hilly, and its all rolling fields, so roads can flood very easily when theres plenty of water!

From calculations in my head, an open cone filter base would be roughly level with top of foglight... a reasonable distance, but should drive with care around puddleS! :lol:

BernardK
10th October 2003, 10:36 PM
If your looking at front of car, the air filter is housed behind left hand fog lamp area..
Changed from underneath!

Thanks murphiz.
What an unusual place to put the air filter. Guess that's Saab for us 8)
The dealer was quite clueless when I asked. Even after reverting, he says it's behind the right hand fog lamp area.
Guess there won't be anymore dropping in filter for me!

Would it be easy to change the filter then?
Any photos?

murphwiz
11th October 2003, 06:59 AM
It's easy to change, you may just squeeze it in without jacking up.
Just need to remove 4 or 5 torx screws, the cover drops down with filter attached to it.

jsmith
17th November 2003, 08:25 PM
i read in one of the ads that the free flow drop in filters were good for 2 hp. i think the k&n stickers alone add an extra .0025 hp :lol: