Let's talk about all different cars [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Let's talk about all different cars

saabnetmask
15-08-03, 03:15 PM
I'm new to this forum as you can see this is my first post :D
Let's talk about all different cars from all different manufacturers, ofcourse including Saab. :D

Tone_Depear
15-08-03, 03:37 PM
I like citroens a bit.

tone gets pilliaged

heavy_t
15-08-03, 03:44 PM
I like citroens a bit.

tone gets pilliaged

Me too :D - only old skool ones though. And I like rear engined Skodas and big old 70s Mercs. And Suzuki SC100s :oops:

saabnetmask
15-08-03, 03:56 PM
Which Citroen are you talking about?
C3 looks nice and cute to me. :D

C3
http://www.citroen.com/site/D/I/general.jpg
C5
http://www.citroen.com/site/D/I/c5_1_p1.jpg
C8
http://www.citroen.com/site/D/I/c8_intro.jpg
C15
http://www.citroen.com/site/D/I/c15_1.jpg

CleveSaab
15-08-03, 03:59 PM
I always hated Chrysler, but the CROSSFIRE is a nice looking car, I'll admit.

garry
15-08-03, 04:03 PM
Hillman Imps ROcked! ..... but also rusted :(

Always wanted to customize one of them :)

Rob Sandey
15-08-03, 04:03 PM
Gotta be a Citroen DS.
Mind you I also like Skodas A Rapid Covertable would do it for me. Or any Aston Martin, Bristol or Jenson but I probably have more chance of getting a Skoda.

tevid
15-08-03, 04:09 PM
either my moms mercedes 500sl 1973 or a trabi (east german/ddr paper car ;-))

Rob Sandey
15-08-03, 04:10 PM
Yeah I like Trabis

tevid
15-08-03, 04:13 PM
don't beat me for this but they do kinda remind me of the 99 not as much in the look but the shapes are much alike

http://home.clara.net/peterfrost/trabant.html

Mag-X
15-08-03, 04:16 PM
GM makes the uglyest cars on the planet.

saabnetmask
15-08-03, 04:18 PM

:lol: GM makes ugly cars, but some Japanese cars are getting even uglier than GM.

NoUse4AName
15-08-03, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't turn away an Aston-Martin, even if Ford owns them nowadays :)

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2002/Aston_Martin/100074544/000292-E.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2002/Aston_Martin/100073847/000319-E.jpg

saabnetmask
15-08-03, 04:27 PM
Austin Martin is nice, but they're too expensive.
Aren't they hand made?

NoUse4AName
15-08-03, 04:30 PM
Well Aston-Martins are hand-made yes.

Not sure about Austin-Martins. Some sort of knock-off built by illegal immigrants in Texas? :)

tevid
15-08-03, 04:32 PM
sorry but the aston looks too much like a cheap Ferrari knock off to me

saabnetmask
Oops, I watch too much of Austin Power. “Shaguar”. :lol:

NoUse4AName

Hard to believe that the same company that makes the Pontiac Aztek (technically)makes the new Saabs isn't it?

saabnetmask
15-08-03, 04:34 PM

Hard to believe that the same company that makes the Pontiac Aztek (technically)makes the new Saabs isn't it?

They must have different designer or something. Saab doesn’t have any ugly design yet. :)

Mag-X
15-08-03, 04:38 PM
The Corvette and Saab's are about the only GM cars I like. What is it with this new look where they smush the headlights and grill onto the hood? Oh and lets not forget the 3 tons of plastic trim thing, or having the speedometer in the middle of the dash.

tevid
15-08-03, 04:41 PM
the speedometer in the middle of the dash is classic done with alot of classic american muscle cars as well as others, probably most notorious to the jeep wrangler of early years

saabnetmask
15-08-03, 04:45 PM
the speedometer in the middle of the dash is classic done with alot of classic american muscle cars as well as others, probably most notorious to the jeep wrangler of early years

MINI Cooper has one in the middle too. :) How does everyone think about that car? Kind of miniture BMW, but I heard they are built in some place else.

deniss
15-08-03, 05:02 PM
Audi - the new more rounded shape is much better.
BMW - the new redesign is HIDEOUS on 5 and 7 series.
Buick - grandpa's car. outdated looks all around.
Cadillac - love the bold look of CTS.
Chevrolet - only Monte Carlo is half-way decent looking.
Chrysler - mostly bloated and fugly, except Crossfire.
Dodge - Intrepid looks alright. love the new RAM 1500!
Ford - Focus is hideous. Explorers getting better. F-150 getting better.
GMC - all around suck.
Honda - conservative styling, bland. new accord has a weird behind.
Hummer - spells Schwarznegger.
Hyundai - design riped off from the better cars. blech.
Infiniti - innovative. bold.
Isuzu - where is Isuzu?
Jaguar - alright, but it lost the Jaguar in its design.
Jeep - Grand Cherokee looks alright.
Kia - shell out your food stamps.
Land Rover - original. very dated.
Lexus - the new RX330 reminds of a bike helmet. ES 300 is a fat cow on tiny legs. GS is nice.
Lincoln - bloated and unoriginal.
Mazda - it's recovering from the age of boredom.
Mercedes - I like the C-class, and love the new E-class looks.
Mini - i could probably lift it up.
Mitsubishi - hm.
Nissan - they hit the jackpot with Altima, and that's what the whole line will be soon!
Oldsmobile - the oldest american brand on its deathbed
Pontiac - the Bird was alright. never did like the Bird's behind though.
Porsche - tries hard to maintain cues of original styling. nice.
Saab - the new 9-3 is very sexy. love the 9-5 sportwagon.
Saturn - Lord help it.
Subaru - the design is not very appealing, but they are everywhere and they are AWD. :)
Suzuki - out to lunch.
Toyota - Camry, Avalon, and Corolla lack any character. very boring.
VW - Passat looks good!
Volvo - they should have kept the previous generation boxy design.

There ya go. Now blast me any way you like :)

D. Wolfe
15-08-03, 05:06 PM
If they didn't make Saabs....my buns would be parked in a Volvo :cheesy: ....I will never buy a domestic car again...ever, ever, ever. :nono; :nono;

Mag-X
15-08-03, 05:06 PM

The new Accord is awesome. 8)

NoUse4AName
15-08-03, 05:15 PM
If they didn't make Saabs....my buns would be parked in a Volvo :cheesy: ....I will never buy a domestic car again...ever, ever, ever. :nono; :nono;

But you'd still be giving Ford money :nono;

I'm still trying to come to terms with giving GM money getting a new Saab, eh

deniss
15-08-03, 05:18 PM
yea, but volvos aint as good as they used to be. if i'm not buying the design, i'd rather go with lexus when the push comes to shove.

Mag-X
15-08-03, 05:23 PM
I'de wrather get a toyota and put a lexus symbol on it. No one would ever know.

deniss
15-08-03, 05:29 PM
lexus i could tolerate. a toyota sedan - too weird and disproportionate. build quality on lexus is certainly better.

Mag-X
15-08-03, 05:31 PM
Toyota and Lexas are one and the same cars.

D. Wolfe
15-08-03, 05:31 PM

But you'd still be giving Ford money :nono;

I'm still trying to come to terms with giving GM money getting a new Saab, eh

NoUse4AName:

You are correct, but since American auto makers can't build smart cars, they have to buy into the foreign manufacturers.
Unfortunately, they also stick their products and parts into some of the greatest cars in the world. Like buying a throughbred horse and then castrating it. :cheesy:

deniss
15-08-03, 05:44 PM

what do you mean by a "car"? yes, they share a lot of underskin components. but they are packaged with different quality. take my word for it - i drove both types. they ARE different.

kevitree
15-08-03, 06:00 PM

what do you mean by a "car"? yes, they share a lot of underskin components. but they are packaged with different quality. take my word for it - i drove both types. they ARE different.

I work as Warranty Manager for both franchises inthe UK YES they are different and not only in components

The way thay deal with customers is different

Do you know that Saab GB applied to Lexus GB to become service agents when the IS series was launched!

saabnetmask
15-08-03, 06:04 PM
Lexus cars and Toyota cars are built in same factories.
Both Lexus and Toyota are built and sold as “Toyota” in Japan.
What makes them different is after they are built.
Sales persons and services.

saabnetmask
15-08-03, 06:06 PM

The new Accord is awesome. 8)

Are you talking about:
Accord in Japan and Europe
Accord Sedan in U.S.
Accord Coupe in U.S.

saabnetmask
15-08-03, 06:18 PM
Comments to deniss :)

Audi - the new more rounded shape is much better.
but the engines are getting bigger for nothing

BMW - the new redesign is HIDEOUS on 5 and 7 series.
their design is getting a lot better recently :)

Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Hummer
out of my sight :lol:

Honda designed in U.S. is weird... :(

Hyundai - design riped off from the better cars. blech.
ya, they’re stealing designs...

Infiniti - innovative. bold.
Nissan
Eaten by Renault...

Isuzu, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Land Rover, Lincoln, Mercedes, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saturn, Suzuki
out of my sight :lol:

Lexus - the new RX330 reminds of a bike helmet. ES 300 is a fat cow on tiny legs. GS is nice.
True, true :)

Mazda - it's recovering from the age of boredom.
True, true, again :lol:

Mini - i could probably lift it up.
They are heavy for their size. Over 2500 lbs.

Mitsubishi - hm.
Only Evo’s good. Rest should go to rest. :lol:

Porsche - tries hard to maintain cues of original styling. nice.
Nice for the looks and the performance, but not the price :lol:

Saab - the new 9-3 is very sexy. love the 9-5 sportwagon.
New ones have good design. Can’t miss the turbo. :)

Subaru - the design is not very appealing, but they are everywhere and they are AWD. :)
Only WRX and STi are good. Legacy turbo can be good too.

Toyota - Camry, Avalon, and Corolla lack any character. very boring.
Nothing special now. They sure are boring. :)

VW - Passat looks good!
Some are good, but reliability makes me forget about VW.

Volvo - they should have kept the previous generation boxy design.
Same as VW. Reliability sucks... :(

deniss
15-08-03, 06:25 PM
i probably forgot to mention - when i made the remarks about the makes/models above, i was only commenting on exterior appearance and nothing else. if i were considering other factors, much more of what i said would have been negative :cheesy: :cheesy:

not all domestics are unfortunate looking. but most are packaged in an unfortunate manner.

NoUse4AName
15-08-03, 06:32 PM
The Delorean is still my favorite car. I'll restore one of those someday. Complete with flux capacitor of course.:)

I love my Acura RSX. Like the CL as well. Was disappointed with the TSX and the TL however.

deniss
15-08-03, 06:36 PM
Was disappointed with the TSX and the TL however.
i'd be curious to know your reasons

tevid
15-08-03, 06:44 PM
just out of curiousity deniss, what saab do YOU own?

TwoSwedes
15-08-03, 07:29 PM
something about cars in general?
Wildest car I've ever driven: 355 F1.
Most amazing performer I ahve driven: Bentley Turbo R
Hell of a car for the $ - and very underappreciated: original Chrysler LHS
Hell of a car for the $ - and appreciated: VW Passat GLX

Have also owned TWO Subaru SVX's at once!

saabnetmask
15-08-03, 07:30 PM
Was disappointed with the TSX and the TL however.
i'd be curious to know your reasons

If it’s 2004 TL, then it has similar headlight as TSX. Could be the design that he was disappointed.
If it’s only TSX, then I’m disappointed with the price. :)

NoUse4AName
15-08-03, 07:34 PM
Yeah poor price point for the product is a huge problem for the TSX. Outperformed in every way by the cheaper 'American' Accord.

TL is just too bland for me. Can't shake the family sedan image the way the 9-3 does.

saabnetmask
15-08-03, 07:39 PM
Yeah poor price point for the product is a huge problem for the TSX. Outperformed in every way by the cheaper 'American' Accord.

TL is just too bland for me. Can't shake the family sedan image the way the 9-3 does.

Yup, it's outperformed everyway except the rim sizes. But Honda Accord has optional 17" rims and it will still cheaper with that option. :)

TheRedRocket
15-08-03, 07:45 PM
the ONLY car I would ever trade my beloved saab (willingly) for is a Porsche, I love them, you now may begin to throw stones

saabnetmask
15-08-03, 08:01 PM
the ONLY car I would ever trade my beloved saab (willingly) for is a Porsche, I love them, you now may begin to throw stones

Do you love them because of their:
1) Design
2) Performance
3) The brand name?

The answer for me would be all of the above. :lol:
But I wouldn’t want to own one because it’s just too standing.
Some crazy people might kill me to get the car. :(

deniss
15-08-03, 10:03 PM
yes... porsche... is in a class of its own.

CleveSaab
16-08-03, 11:09 AM
The new Caddy due out for 2004 is simply gorgeous. The XLR Roadster.
Can be all yours for a mere $76,500!!

http://xlrroadster.com/db4/00369/xlrroadster.com/_uimages/xenonfrontanglelargeNameBorder.jpg

NoUse4AName
16-08-03, 11:11 AM
How much with the GM Supplier Discount? :D

saabnetmask
16-08-03, 11:47 AM
How about Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8?
http://www.mitsucars.com/images/2003/evo/photos/normal_1_ex.jpg
They go 0 to 60 in just 4.6 seconds. :o

NoUse4AName
16-08-03, 12:49 PM
Eh, it's still just an economy Lancer at it's heart.

Though if you want to use it as a rally racer that's hard to beat.

Tweek's Turbos
16-08-03, 05:31 PM
I would kill for the new CTS-V from Cadillac.

http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/image/0805200312071736.jpg

Areomyst
16-08-03, 08:22 PM
Hmm... I suppose I'm no fun at all. The SPG is my dream car actually. I hope to have it till the day I die, and by that time.. well who knows. I enjoy my Saabs. :)

~Josh

D. Wolfe
19-08-03, 04:28 PM
Several years ago a friend and I started a Limo Service as something to do on the side. We purchased a 1964 right hand drive Bently Rolls. I did the mechanics(lots of Lucas wiring problems), detailing and everyday maintenance. :D

It was a rip to drive since it was my first experience with right hand steering. Powerful engine, but slow to the take off due to the excessive weight. :oops:

On night when there wasn't a job, I would drive it to some of the local night spots and always got to park by the door. :cheesy:

After two years of spending my Saturday morning preping the Rolls, we sold out to one of our competitors for a handsome profit :idea

saabnetmask
19-08-03, 04:35 PM
Several years ago a friend and I started a Limo Service as something to do on the side. We purchased a 1964 right hand drive Bently Rolls. I did the mechanics(lots of Lucas wiring problems), detailing and everyday maintenance. :D

It was a rip to drive since it was my first experience with right hand steering. Powerful engine, but slow to the take off due to the excessive weight. :oops:

On night when there wasn't a job, I would drive it to some of the local night spots and always got to park by the door. :cheesy:

After two years of spending my Saturday morning preping the Rolls, we sold out to one of our competitors for a handsome profit :idea

Interesting story :) May I ask how much you bought it for and how much you sold it for? I’m just curious how much they cost.

WASAAB
21-08-03, 02:30 AM
My favorites are
Nissan R33 GTR
Nissan Silvia S14
Nissan Fairlady Z32
Toyota Supra RZ
Honda NSX R
Mazda RX7 R1
Toyota Aristo ( Lexus GS300 before 1997 models )
SAAB 95 aero 2.3 T
SAAB 93 viggen
Mitsu EVO VI
Subaru 22B Impreza
AUDI S4, RS6, A8
BMW M3, M5
Toyota Chaser
Infiniti M45, Q45..

however, I will never buy domestic cars..
:P

Sparky
21-08-03, 05:27 AM

yea, but volvos aint as good as they used to be.

Neither are Saabs.

heavy_t
21-08-03, 08:08 AM
Depends on what criteria you're judging Volvos on really. The cars they make now are miles better dynamically than the likes of the 240, 340, 740, 960 etc. Whether they're better built or more reliable I don't know.

I do agree that Saabs aren't as good as they used to be though :wink:

bassist5
22-08-03, 01:41 AM
I grew up in Europe, and I love Italian cars, like old Fiats and Alfa Romeos. I agree with everone here though, domestic (U.S.) cars aren't too great. We've owned a few, I didn't like them.

DeLorean
22-08-03, 04:51 AM
I don't understand this whole "I will never buy domestic cars" If you are buying a new saab or volvo, you are buying a fancy Chevy or Ford :lol: get over it, american cars are better than they have ever been, and thay were not all that horid 10 years ago. If you are looking to buy a NEW car (I don't know why anyone would) If you are not shopping everyone, that's your loss. Comparing an old 240 or an old 900 to some of the brand new designes that GM has just come out with, NO compitition. We are talking 20+ years of design here, but who cares :nono;

Johan T
22-08-03, 06:23 AM
Well, I would definitely continue to buy domestic cars! :wink:

Well, For that I've got Saab and Volvo to choose among and Saab will with no doubt be my choice!

20Ted
22-08-03, 09:48 AM

Or, spend half as much and get the Saab - and get the exact smae steering wheel! :oops:

The Cadillac wheel:
http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/merismus/gallery/c442703a.jpg

The Saab:
http://www.saab.com/main/image/photo_gallery/2004/93c_int_5.jpg

BurnsSide42
23-08-03, 11:30 AM
ya know, for a caddy, that's rather harsh to look at... the leather and calm colors of the saab just scream out comfort, whereas that caddy is neat, but still...who pays 70,000+ for fake wood panels in the car that haven't been "hip" since the 50's. I mean, go back to 1945 already. Leather is the wave of the now, always has been!

SAABISTI
23-08-03, 01:39 PM
I'd never drive an American car b/c, IMO, they are poorly made and look either tacky or flashy. Japanese cars are bland, boring, and uninspiring. German cars are not my cup of tea either - too cold and mechanical.

As for non-SAAB autos that I really like (short of exotics of course):

Older British cars/trucks including MGs, Triumphs, Jaguars, Lotus', Austins, Rovers, and Land Rovers. I'd love to own a Series Land Rover someday.

Old-school French cars, particularly Citroens and Pininfarina-designed Peugeot 504, among others. Love them all really.

Older Alfas, Lancias, and Fiats.

Even with exotics such as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, and Aston-Martin, I'd much rather have one of their older models than any of their new ones.

D. Wolfe
23-08-03, 02:10 PM

yea, but volvos aint as good as they used to be.

Neither are Saabs.

Sparky:

Unfortunately, after having owned a '99 9-3 and several pre-'90 900s(and my beloved '94 9000CDE) you are absolutely correct. My '88 900 and 87 900 were as close to perfection as you could get. Never any problems. My first 1971 99 was perfect in everyway. Classic Saabs that cannot be duplicated anymore.

GearHead
23-08-03, 04:47 PM
Um I like dodges.But if I got one id have to completly rework the interoir in leatha.and then just maybe put a big ol' V8 in it somehow.

you may now comence stone-throwing

D. Wolfe
23-08-03, 07:04 PM
Gearhead:

I am setting the coordinates on the catapult to 15 degrees south by south west, 62 degrees north by northeast...target location..."In front of my Computer" :cheesy:

In five, four, three, two, one....F-I-R-E :! :!

Oh, sorry, didn't mean to hit your Saab :cheesy:

GearHead
23-08-03, 07:38 PM
now I really am "sobing"

candiazoo
24-08-03, 10:56 PM
I always liked our AMC Pacer. No, really! I did!

Mike

MRpunchinella
07-01-05, 06:59 AM
citroen Traction Avant

(real) AC Cobra

Jensen Intercepton FF (7.2 Chrysler) uphill, 100mph, auto kicks down :cool:

Mark 3 Jag.

Rover P5B coupe

freAK47
07-01-05, 08:43 AM
besides saab i really like porsche and audi.
i drove the porsche cayenne yesterday and i really have to admit that the cayenne is a lovely car!:o

Flash9-7x
07-01-05, 09:09 AM
any year XKE coupe
Porche 911
'55 Chevy Nomad w/ 327
'64 Pontiac GTO w/3 dueces, a drop top and painted pearl white
'67 Corvette coupe w/ 427 - 4 speed
'05 XLR
'05 CTS-V
Hummer H-1

1988 Buick Reatta, red w/ grey interior, one of less than 22,000 total production run, buick's famed 3800 V6, and listed by Hemmings motor news as one of the top 10 "sleeper" cars in the future. Happen to also be the original owner of this daily driver for the last 16 years. Most expensive Buick at the time, 3500 dollars more than the Riv. Many solid cars can be acquired today for between 2500 and 10,000 US. However this is a "tinkerer's" car. Expect to do electrical work on it if you get one. It was at least 10 years ahead of its time in electronics. This series of vehicles (1988-1991) were virtually hand built at the Reatta Craft Centre, in Lansing Michigan. They moved from work station to station on individual platforms and would stay in station as long as necessary to complete the work correctly. The paint was overseen on site by DuPont and is the best factory paint ever. The bodies were dipped in zinc baths for additional rust protection prior to paint. Convertibles were available in '90 and '91, with '91's being the rarest of all. A CRT screen is in the '88's and '89's with diagnostic ability and code display. Just a few items of note.

Flash

cswerin
07-01-05, 09:22 AM
I just bought my second 9-3 SS last month and I was not 100% sure if I wanted another one so I tried out a couple of different brands and I have to say, it's either a SAAB 9-3SS/9-5 Combi or a Audi S4 without the aluminium mirrors.

http://www.autotudos.hu/kep_03_01_audi_s4_2.jpghttp://www.autotudos.hu/kep_03_01_audi_s4_1.jpg

Russell
07-01-05, 10:30 AM
That often used and abused word 'Classic'..

but it would have to be a classic mini cooper. Learned in my mums one and loved every bouncy rollerskated mile of it. Sounded like you were doing a million miles an hour and in the traffic light grandprix felt like it could beat anything. Cherry bomb exhaust - wonderful !

I would love one again but too small and cramped for me now.

Paco
07-01-05, 11:36 AM
1988 Buick Reatta, buick's famed 3800 V6, and listed by Hemmings motor news as one of the top 10 "sleeper" cars in the future.

Had to look that one up, knew it when I saw it, unusual car, I like the look of it...

I thought you might be talking about the awful Buick 2 door from the late eighties (I think) such as the one I drove from Miami to Toronto in 1989, I'm pretty sure it had that V6 and I can't imagine why it was famed, a 3.8 litre car that only reached 102 mph with the throttle nailed open, when the car was only a few years old, it was so slow I was being overtaken by glaciers:roll:

I thought that was called a Reatta but it was a lot more chuuby than the car you're talking about!

At the time it could have put me off American cars for life, ugly, slow, foul handling and a horrendous interior.... but that would be like judging all UK cars on the Morris Marina....shudder!

Tried to Google a pic of the car I mean, but couldn't find it.....

Edit AH! here it is... the Buick Regal......bleurghhhhh....

http://www.genesisautosales.com/CarPics/1986%20Buick%20regal/1986_buick_regal-04_small.jpg

ragtopcav
07-01-05, 12:51 PM
At the time it could have put me off American cars for life, ugly, slow, foul handling and a horrendous interior.... but that would be like judging all UK cars on the Morris Marina....shudder!

http://www.genesisautosales.com/CarPics/1986%20Buick%20regal/1986_buick_regal-04_small.jpg

And for those US users, here is a Morris Marina, anyone with a landrover discovery may recognise the door handles. :cheesy:

http://www.cvg.asso.fr/images/rass_mens_nancy0104/morris_marina_1976.jpg

Alex
07-01-05, 01:08 PM
And for those US users, here is a Morris Marina, anyone with a landrover discovery may recognise the door handles. :cheesy:

Or a Lotus Esprit.

Flash9-7x
07-01-05, 01:14 PM
Paco,

The only Regal's worthy of mention would be the Gran National's. Turbo charged 3800's that were very fast. The Buick 3800 or 3.8 series II or later series III were according to JD Power phenomenal in their quality. Warranty has been stellar.

Regarding the Reatta, I tried to post a pic but can't seem to figure it out. Thought I could just click on a box and click browse, upload from hard drive and it would be there, but am unskilled in how to do that here.

texasjohn
07-01-05, 02:02 PM

Jeremy Clarkson of TopGear described the Crossfire as looking like a dog squatting to do a number two...I'm inclined to agree with the comment myself. No offence to you, Cleve

My favourite cars to-date have been BMW and Honda (not riced up ones), purely for the reliable service they've given me, build quality and driving experience.

Fast_Ed
07-01-05, 03:23 PM
I think I am in love with the Lotus Elise we Americans are just beginning to get. So very fast with just a tiny Toyota engine... I want to drive one quite badly.

Here's a Ford I love: Taurus SHO. I was just looking at a picture of that beautiful Yamaha engine the other day and reminiscing with my friend about his... Did you know they had to de tune that baby to keep it from competing with the Mustangs of their day? Should've just supercharged those mustangs IMHO. The original engine was supposed to be 300 hp, but was detuned to 230. Jerks.

My Ultimate dream car: Air Cooled Porsche 911 Turbo. I'd have to work up to it to be ready to drive such a thing, but it's so unique and fast that I cant help wanting it more than anything. If not available, I'll just take one of the very new wasserboxers now that they've gotten rid of the silly boxster lights.

1978 VW Campmobile.. Who would've thought I'd be lusting after not one, but TWO air cooled cars? If only it had to power to tow the Porsche, I could go cross country.

And, of course, my original dream car: SAAB 9-3 Viggen. Already got one, thanks :D Few other cars have the combination of utility, comfort, power, and style that I got with this car. Now saving for the Porsche as a second car. Just gotta keep this SAAB running for 30 more years or so.. That's where y'all come in :D

900t
07-01-05, 04:19 PM

May I present the new Saturn Aura:
http://gm.wieck.com/forms/gm/PV__022373__.jpg

And the new Saturn Sky:
http://gm.wieck.com/forms/gm/PV__020258__.jpg

Now what did you say? :D

ragtopcav
07-01-05, 05:11 PM
Now what did you say?

There's even some thunder from downunder :cheesy: Holden GTS

http://www.thamesdoc.com/deptlifestyle/holden2.jpg

a brief write up here (http://www.thamesdoc.com/deptlifestyle/holden.htm)

Or how about a Vauxhall Lotus carlton?

http://www.carsource.co.uk/used-photos/large/H/9/H918POB.jpg

Both these cars were built under the guidance of GM, both absolute stunners, best seen for real in motion.

900t
07-01-05, 06:15 PM
The Lotus Omega/Carlton - one of my favorites!

I'm really surprised with that Aura though. Like *really* surprised. In a good way. :)

250hp and 6-speed automatic and it's coming in 2006, 2007 latest.

900t
07-01-05, 07:35 PM
Oh, Pontiac G6 retractable hardtop... http://www.gminsidenews.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10284/normal_G6C2.jpg

valbowski1980
08-01-05, 06:01 PM
I like imports. This is not to say that there are American cars that I wouldn't mind owning but for the most part domestic metal is nowhere near that of Europe and Japan (and now even South Korea:o ).

Other than that, I am a big Tatra fan. Those things look very very cool.

baco99
09-01-05, 08:33 AM
This car is IT as far as I am concerned.

I offer up the Noble M12 GTO 3R
352 HP (+)
Twin-Turbo Duratec 3.0 Ltr V6
0-60 in 3.9 secs

http://www.mcarsweb.com/noble/m12gto3r.jpg

bassist5
09-01-05, 10:09 AM
Other cars, eh? I love Saabs, Volvos, Renaults, Citroens, Peugeots, Alfas, Fiats, Jeeps, MGs, Land Rovers, BMWs and Mercedes'.. especially older models, 60's/70's/80's. I'm sure I forgot some, but you get the point. Older European cars. Newer ones are cool too, but I like older ones better.

I don't like Japanese cars and I don't like most American cars.. I make an exception for Jeeps, and maybe some older ones.. I sort of like the old Chrysler 300B's. But generally speaking, no American cars.

Oh, I agree with whoever said that GM made the ugliest cars.. especially since 2000 or so. Jeeeeeeeeesus Christ.... Just to name one example (out of many), that new Chevy Equinox. Who the hell designed that?

valbowski1980
09-01-05, 10:14 AM
Alfas,

Hey man. How is that Milano treating you?

bassist5
09-01-05, 10:15 AM
Hey man. How is that Milano treating you?

Milano is doing well.. only problem right now is the snow, so it's been staying in the garage a lot. Doing real good otherwise. I posted a pic of it in an earlier thread, I don't remember what one.

AndyB
10-01-05, 03:31 PM
I owned a 1st generation BMW 323i (1981) for a while, it had LSD and was the most fun I've ever had on 4 wheels. Unfortunately the chassis rotted away under a pretty solid bodyshell. Bought a 1990 325i Sport after that, which was fast but didn't have nearly so much character. My dad sells BMW for a living and so I get to drive pretty much every model and I can honestly say that none of them evoke any emotion at all, they just exist and provide transport efficiently.

I've just acquired and driven an '86 900 Turbo 10 days ago, and I am enjoying that plenty so far, although I am already thinking ahead to when I can get myself a nice 16V Turbo for that bit of extra performance... How quickly we want more!!
;)

Jezzadee
10-01-05, 03:46 PM
These are probably the easiest cars ever made to modify. There's a few 8 valves on here that will blow away a T16S. Get an intercooler in if you don't have one already and start tweaking the APC as explained on www.900aero.com . That should get you to 180 odd bhp for starters.

duck_man
11-01-05, 01:24 AM
Mag-X I would agree on GM's design - It would appear that just about the same time they designed the current Grand Am/Grand Prix/G6 their buyers must have found a heckuva deal on some surplus vinyl siding.

Speaking of ugly cars this is good http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=ugly_cars

Also reminds me of a joke:

GM vs. MICROSOFT

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated "if GM had kept up with the technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the car windows, shut it off, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car unless you bought "CarNT", but then you would have to buy more seats.

6. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive -- but would only run on five percent of the roads.

7. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "General Protection Fault" warning light.

8. New seats would force everyone to have the same sized butt.

9. The airbag system would ask "are you SURE?" before deploying.

10. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

11. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of Rand McNally Road maps (now a GM subsidiary), even though they neither need nor want them. Attempting to delete this option would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50% or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Dept.

12. Every time GM introduced a new car, car buyers would have to learn to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

13. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.

Sneezy
11-01-05, 09:36 AM
Where should I start? I love cars.

Most of today's cars are boring. BMW's look like small, medium and large as do some of the Ford & GM cars. I love the new Vette, the solstice and the Sky. Thats all I like from GM in the new line up.

The new Mustang is one HOT car :D

While I love my Saab and it is my first it will also be my last :cry: It's got more problems than my 1975 Peugeot 504 had at 275,000 miles. I'm trying to find a replacement for the Saab and having a tough time doing it. It's also a company car.

Here's my argument against buying doemstic -> The dealers and salespeople SUCK. You buy a car and the throw you out the door. I've owned enough new ones to know it's common. It's very rare that they spend time introducing the car like Saab and other imports do. Domestic service departments are the worst, they have no idea what "customer service" means. When I got my 2004 F150 4x4, we finished all the paperwork and were handed the keys and told "it's over there".....boy was I pissed. They didn't even walk us out to it, let alone explain anything about it to us. Fortunatly I know more than the salesman so it didn't matter.

Someone asked why buy new? Because I've had more problems with used cars, even with 10K miles on them so I refuse to buy used anymore. I want to know that I have taken care of it from day 1.

Thats my rant and I'm sticking to it.

the new Mazda's are sharp looking cars. the RX8 may end up as a replacement for my Saab story.

Audi's aren't to bad but over priced.

BMW's are not relaible enough (mother in law had a real lemon).

Don't like most new GM's & Fords.

Chrysler has done wrong by me a number of times so I won't buy those either.

I want a Lexus or an Acura but we don't have a dealer here and I won't drive an hour for service.

I do like the Caddy CTS but have heard not so great things about the reliability.

Volvo's are not as comfy as they used to be and the quality has really gone down hill.

I don't like VW's, looks or comfort wise.

Heck, I may end up with a Honda Accord, I loved my 86 with 200,000 miles on her! My wifes Odyssey is top notch except for the power sliders, but I knew they were a problem before I bought it. Went wine tasting with some friends a few weeks ago and brought home 8 cases of wine with plenty of room to spare :cheesy:

You can bet I will drive about 20 cars before I make up my mind what to get next!

Current line up of cars:
2002 Honda Odyssey -Wifes
2000 Trans Am -Mine
2004 F150 4x4 -Share with my dad
2003 Saab 93 (comapny car) -Mine
2003 Saab 95 (company car) -My dads

And last but not least, I love my Pontiac trans Am Firehawk, it's my baby!

http://www.myfirehawk.net/hawkangle.jpg

Mattlach
11-01-05, 11:04 AM

haha... I thought their design department just went a little overboard with it.

The hood looks like something off one of those little italian mahogany speed boats... :P

I tend to like very restrained designs (ones that don't look like they belong either in the water, or on an episode of star treck as some sort of alien shuttle craft...)

:p

IMHO the E39 5 series BMW was as close to perfection in automotive styling you can get... Especially the later model year ones...

Mattlach
11-01-05, 11:07 AM

Again... A little outlandish for this guys humble tastes.

Just too damned bling! (for lack of a better word) Whatever haeppened to the aura of "tasteful restraint" that used to exist in the high end marques? :p

Paco
11-01-05, 11:56 AM
Flash, here's a Reatta convertible I googled:

http://www.hubcapcafe.com/i/2000/stillwater/buic9001.JPG

Just cut and pasted the url from Properties having right clicked on the pic (use the postcard icon in your reply screen)

Cleve, I'm going to ruin your day :D .

The Crossfire, take a look at the back of it when you next see one, looks like a dog laying a log. Nuff said......;)

Back to work folks :p

texasjohn
11-01-05, 11:59 AM
Cleve, I'm going to ruin your day :D .

The Crossfire, take a look at the back of it when you next see one, looks like a dog laying a log. Nuff said......;)

Back to work folks :p

Not just me then (I mean making the same comment about the x-fire!!!)

Mattlach
11-01-05, 12:11 PM
Figured I'd have to follow up my post with pictures of the cars I consider the most visually pleasing...

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/09/saab9502_02.jpg
1998 - Saab 9-5

http://images.automotive.com/review_images/01bmwm5-1.jpg
E39 BMW 5 series

http://www.espritfactfile.com/images/S4sGallery/s4s013.jpg
Lotus Esprit (back before the japaneese ripped off the design)

http://www.engine-power.com/img/specs/jaguar_xkr_04.jpg
Jaguar XKR convertible

Flash9-7x
11-01-05, 12:31 PM
Flash, here's a Reatta convertible I googled:

http://www.hubcapcafe.com/i/2000/stillwater/buic9001.JPG

Just cut and pasted the url from Properties having right clicked on the pic (use the postcard icon in your reply screen)

:p

Paco,

Thanks so much for the help. The drop tops were only made in '90 & '91. Buick's 100th was held a couple of years ago in Flint, Michigan at the Sloan. There were over a hundred of us Reatta owners that drove into the event. Some from as far away as Alaska.

Truly appreciate the assistance.

Flash