Dampers- how long left for them? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Dampers- how long left for them?

ronnin
09-12-08, 03:45 PM
Hi, I have been on suspension check recently, and mechanic after testing dampers said, that rear one is 67% working and the other one 71%, front dampers about 75 and 77%. He told me, that rear dampers will be dead quite soon. Could you give me an advice, how honest he was?

sandstrain
09-12-08, 04:17 PM
They do have a history of going soft on the back fairly early on. Do the 'bounce' test on each rear corner; the car should feel quite firm and return to position in like one and a small bit of movement. If it does more than that then the shock is knackered. There is a lot of info about shock absorbers (dampers) on here.

Kermit
10-12-08, 04:13 AM
I'd love to know how they got a % efficiency on the shocks. :o The rears do go quicker than the front, two ways to check them is to drive on an undulating road and see if the rear bounces, if it does its time for new shocks. The other way is to check the body of the shocks for fluid leaks indicating the seals have gone.

toxicavenger
10-12-08, 12:54 PM
me too ronnin, that would be a cool machine to have to test shocks.;) sounds like he was full of crap in my book bro.:roll:

djrpowell
10-12-08, 04:14 PM
I had two new ones on the rear of my estate at 12k miles at the stealers, interesting...

SectorNine50
10-12-08, 05:31 PM
Don't ever go back to a mechanic who lies to you, I don't know of a way to get exact percentages either, don't think there is.

jydg21
10-12-08, 05:33 PM
% really?

that's new to me...:confused:

djrpowell
10-12-08, 05:41 PM
it is shady, on the % front, I don't care as I have new ones for free under the warrenty!

I have read that it is ok for shocks to mist a little that is normal.

I would determine the failiure by MOT only and that is only when you get the bounce test failing!

ronnin
11-12-08, 06:34 AM
http://www.automotive.corghi.com/default.php?t=site&pgid=1281

hope I was not wrong about % ;)

hiros
11-12-08, 06:53 AM
Interesting Ronnin, learn something new.

Anyway for me when the drive no longer provides the comfort that it should, it is time to change the shocks. I just changed mine after close to 8 years (170K KM), replacing it with the original Sachs Aero version.

The rear starts to jump while the front starts to decompress fully and yes there are traces of oil at the shocks.

Though % may present you with the level of absorption that it still provides, it still finally depends on you to decide whether the driving comfort level has deteriorate that you can no longer enjoy the drive. If you feel the drive comfort is still there, drive on my friend.;)