Door Speaker [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Door Speaker

Saab Max
10-11-08, 06:21 PM
Does anyone knows the specs on the door bass speakers in 2002 9-3 (runs from amp) mines are blown....... Thanks trying to replace them

nine
10-11-08, 07:09 PM
The as3-amp is a split, 47x Hz something, 50w channels. So, just bass, as you said. Tha speakers are 6,5".
That makes it tricky to find speakers that works (well) with the amp.
If you can get a hold of stock ones, that would be the easiest.

Jeremy R.
10-11-08, 08:49 PM
The stock ones are nice to find. I tried out several pairs of fairly expensive aftermarket woofers, and amazingly enough, that little amp managed to bottom out most all of them! JL makes some nice 6.5" subs that I've been hoping someone would try sometime... :D

Saabohème
10-11-08, 09:28 PM
These work fine:
MB Quart RVF 164 (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11643_MB+Quart+RVF+164.html); $69.99

Reference Series 6-1/2" Drivers allows you to add a Midbass subwoofer in place of a standard 6-1/2" component speaker. You can also simply add these to an existing 2-way setup (1 midwoofer and 1 tweeter per side) to enhance the bass and make it a 3-way setup (2 midwoofers and 1 tweeter per side).

6-1/2" Reference Series Midwoofers (Add-a-Woofer System)
Power Handling:

RMS: 140 watts

Polypropylene cone woofer
Rubber surround
Crossover slope: 12 dB/octave
Crossover frequency: 250 Hz
Includes installation hardware and mounting templates
4 ohms impedance
Top-mount depth: 2.54"
1-year Sonic Electronix warranty
As do these (I have been running these for about 3 years with no problems and very decent bass - the 93 dB efficiency mates them pretty well to the amp, even though they are only 3Ohm nominal, the amp is plenty stable enough to drive them)
Audiobahn AMD60Q (http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Product.display&product_id=4087); $119.99
Size: 6-1/2"

Power Handling:

Peak: 400 watts per pair
RMS: 200 watts per pair

30oz.Strontium Magnet
Frequency Response: 30Hz - 5kHz
Faraday Cage(tm)
Laminated Glass Fiber Composite/Pulp Cone
EPDM Rubber Surround
2 Layer High-temp ASV Voice Coil
Impedance: 3 ohms
Sensitivity: 93dB
Wooden Gift Box
Top Mounting Depth: 3-1/2"
Focal 6V2 (http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=7133); $99.00

Nominal power: 75 Watts
Maximum Power: 150 Watts
Sensitivity: 93 dB
Cone: Polyglass
Surround: Butyl
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Xmax: 3.5 mm
Mounting Depth: 72mm
FS: 82.73 Hz

Saab Max
15-11-08, 10:38 AM
How well would a Polk audio DB6500 works for the bass speaker specs:

6.5"
Component
100 watts RMS
300 watts peak
4ohms

Saabohème
15-11-08, 10:45 AM
I LOVE Polk Audio. Have 'em for my home system (late '70's Monitor 10s, modified to heck and back). Had Polk in my '92 vert. Loved them too. What is the sensitivity or efficiency rating of these?

Saab Max
15-11-08, 10:50 AM
I LOVE Polk Audio. Have 'em for my home system (late '70's Monitor 10s, modified to heck and back). Had Polk in my '92 vert. Loved them too. What is the sensitivity or efficiency rating of these?
Overall Frequency Response40Hz-23KHzNominal Impedance4 ohmsPower Handling (continuous)100 wPower Handling (peak)300 wEfficiency92 dB

Saabohème
15-11-08, 11:26 AM
92 dB is excellent efficiency and these will work just dandy even with the relatively low-powered stock amp.

Saab Max
15-11-08, 11:41 AM
92 dB is excellent efficiency and these will work just dandy even with the relatively low-powered stock amp.

Reason why i ask though is because the magnet on the back of the polkaudio speaker is not as big as the stock speaker.... does that affect how heavy the bass sounds...? The door speakers only have bass leaving it...

Saabohème
15-11-08, 02:14 PM
I think you will find the stock magnet appears bigger but is not. Of even more importance is the material it is made of. The most powerful is neodymium, followed by samarium cobalt. These materials produce a massively more powerful magnetic field strength (measured in oersteds) than conventional magnetic materials. Many aftermarket speakers use more powerful magnets in preference to standard ceramic magnetic materials, although this is usually the case with smaller speakers like tweeters and smaller mid-range speakers. In any event, I think you will get excellent bass from the Polks.

SaabHat93
15-11-08, 05:56 PM
Saabhoheme, you know a lot about speakers and the science behind them. Have you done any full length write ups on any of this kind of thing? Doesn't necessarily have to be this forum, but I've learned a lot about speakers from reading your posts. Much appreciated.

Saab Max
15-11-08, 06:44 PM
I think you will find the stock magnet appears bigger but is not. Of even more importance is the material it is made of. The most powerful is neodymium, followed by samarium cobalt. These materials produce a massively more powerful magnetic field strength (measured in oersteds) than conventional magnetic materials. Many aftermarket speakers use more powerful magnets in preference to standard ceramic magnetic materials, although this is usually the case with smaller speakers like tweeters and smaller mid-range speakers. In any event, I think you will get excellent bass from the Polks.

Many thanks "Saaboheme" for your help with my concern........ I'll install them tomorrow and let you know whats up ;)