help with restoring old saab [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: help with restoring old saab

alexanderburgess731
9th August 2003, 02:08 PM
I am going to help a friend of mine restore a saab that has been sitting in a barn for ten years and before that was sitting in some bushes for who knows how long. I think it's a '67 V-4 95. What should i do to try and get it running such as oil change, spark plugs, other fluids, ect. Any information would be very usefull, this my first time with a saab, and i'm used to a '66 mustang, which i'm sure is very different. Thanks again

TFatC
12th August 2003, 10:19 AM
Ooops, sorry, missed this post so a bit of a delay in getting a reply!

First off, welcome to the board. You should be able to get all the help you need around here, and if not, you should have fun anyway!

OK, procedure for awakening a sleeping beauty. First, check the engine oil. If it looks OK, don't change it yet. Get it running then change it. Check the spark plugs. At least clean and regap them, if you have new plugs handy, put them in before trying to start it. At this stage leave the plugs out. Next, check the contact breakers. Again, if you have new ones, put them in, if not clean them with some fine emery paper and regap them.Connect the battery and check you have a spark at the points. If not, check wiring, then replace points and condenser. Then also check condition of rotor arm and distributor cap. If all Ok, put them back together.

You will need fresh fuel after all this time, the existing stuff will be stale. Drain the tank, and put in fresh fuel. A temporary alternative is to rig up a can as a supply direct to the carb.

Next, with the plugs still out, try turning the engine by hand. Assuming it is free (if not get back to me for tips on freeing off) connect the battery. With plugs still out, turn over untill the oil light goes off, indicating oil pressure is OK. Do this in 30 second bursts so you do not burn out the starter. After the oil light has gone out, give it another 30 second turn to make sure oil is everywhere. Refit the plugs, check everything, ensure all throttle linkages are free, choke, etc so the choke works and the throttle will not jam fully open, and give it a go!

Once it is running (or not!) post another message here to let us know how you get on.

Good Luck :cheesy:

turboman
12th August 2003, 02:13 PM
The only thing I would add to that is I would run some oil into the bores down the plug holes and then manually turn the engine over with a spanner on the crank nut a few turns before spinning it on the starter.

heli-saaber
19th September 2003, 03:50 PM
Very sound advice from everyone. I recently acquired a 95V4 that had stood in its original owner's garage for 11 years or so (tax ran out in Aug 92) although I'm not sure whether it had been run in the meantime. I removed the plugs , ran some GTX into the bores and turned it over a few times. Changed all the electrical bits (plugs, leads, dist cap, points, rotor arm - all borrowed from my running V4), jury-rigged a fuel supply to the pump, drained the old fuel out of the carb, connected up the battery and .... vroom! Started within 3 cranks. Oil pressure fine, alternator light goes out, nice-sounding engine despite perforated exhaust (rust everywhere!!). As it's a recon unit (German, ex-Taunus I think) that's only done about 68k I'll be fitting it to my rebuild project. On a completely different tack ... if anyone has a complete interior for a Carolina Blue 95V4, including headlining, I'd be very interested ..............

alexanderburgess731
14th October 2003, 08:58 PM
Bleed the clutch and now the car is running and moving. Wow... it was easy for something that haddn't been touched in 13 yrs. Now my question is what do the 4 lights on the dash do? I think the order was red/blue/green/orange. Green is the flashers right? Also is there another fuse box besides the one in the engine bay, and is there any trick to bleeding the brakes or is it just like any other car? Thanks for any help

enor
15th October 2003, 12:34 PM
Red - alternator no charge
Yellow - oil pressure
Blue - High beams
Green - flasher

alexanderburgess731
15th October 2003, 12:42 PM
thanks, probobly no way to fix that without new rings right?

alexanderburgess731
15th October 2003, 12:43 PM
oil light I mean :-?

alexanderburgess731
4th December 2003, 04:47 PM
Just installing a new feul pump. Do i have to use any sealer? Thanks

heli-saaber
4th December 2003, 06:03 PM