electrical problems [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: electrical problems

joe the plumber
27-10-08, 07:28 AM
alright i installed the audiotroll friday and took it out tonight.
why? well first because i believe it is possibly leading to electrical problems, and secondly the quality is below what i expected and i feel a aftermarket cd player is a better investment.

anyways here are problems i ran into this weekend.
1. TCS button one night did not activate the TCS OFF light so during the rain i wasn't sure if it was on or not. the next day the button worked.

2. these side lights are not on now:
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/7223/y6yh8huibr2.jpg

last night one went out so i replaced it and when i checked them tonight while getting gas i noticed both were out.
a headlight also burnt out the day before the first side light burnt out and i replaced both headlights with 9003/hb2 st/2 silver stars by sylvania. i was wondering if those new lights could perhaps be burning out or affecting the sidelights?

3. lastly my gas gauge was reading wrong tonight for the first 10-15 minutes of driving. tonight's weather conditions were no different than recently and this is the first time this has happend as well. at first the SID read that i had 50 miles left then slowly started going up till it was at 96.
i got gas anyways to be safe and the gauge was reading correctly (assumingly) for the rest of the drive.

so what could be causing these problems?.. i don't want to blame the troll right off the bat but it is weird that i drive this car for 4 thousand miles with no problems then a bunch hit me in one weekend.

Darren900
27-10-08, 11:34 AM
I've been running the AT2 for a couple months now with no adverse effects. I honestly don't see how the audiotroll could affect so many different electrical systems and especially burn out any lights. The only interface it has with the rest of the car is through the I-bus and any weirdness on this will cause all sorts of things to stop working.

I would rather suspect a charging/battery system fault.

earthworm
27-10-08, 12:02 PM
Darren is correct...
Even with just an iota of suspicion, the battery charging system must be properly checked out...this should be done every 6 months with any high mileage car as preventative maintenance..
Nothing like 16 volts from a 12 volt system to cause all sorts of havoc...
The operation of the Saab lights, both interior and exterior has become so complex that an owner should read up on this..The manual could present this better than they do...
Next will be non-serviceable LED lighting systems with unbreakable lens....affordable replacements only available at the junk yards.. ..in 2030 ??

TCS = traction control sys....

Nice, the '96 V6 had this but not the 4 bangers:cheesy: until the year .........?

lfteixeira
27-10-08, 12:05 PM
You are lucky, i want to buy an Audio Troll and i can't.

This side of the atlantic ocean doesn't deserve that system!!! :cry:

reepicheep
27-10-08, 12:14 PM
No no, the audiotroll is surely the problem. Next thing you know, tires will be wearing faster and your garage will get smaller.

Tell you what, ship it to me and I will put it somewhere very safe where it will never threaten your 9-3 again. ;)

Just kidding. :) It connects to the can-bus, so it could cause issues, but I suspect you are just seeing random stuff that feels related but probably isn't. I get that all the time when I repair computers for people after their hard drives fail... they are generally convinced that whatever they just did or whatever they just installed caused the drive to fail... when in fact the drive just breaks sometimes, and people inevitably have done "something" right before then.

joe the plumber
27-10-08, 04:51 PM
Darren is correct...
Even with just an iota of suspicion, the battery charging system must be properly checked out...this should be done every 6 months with any high mileage car as preventative maintenance..
Nothing like 16 volts from a 12 volt system to cause all sorts of havoc...
The operation of the Saab lights, both interior and exterior has become so complex that an owner should read up on this..The manual could present this better than they do...
Next will be non-serviceable LED lighting systems with unbreakable lens....affordable replacements only available at the junk yards.. ..in 2030 ??

TCS = traction control sys....

Nice, the '96 V6 had this but not the 4 bangers:cheesy: until the year .........?

alright so the gas gauge prob could of been caused by the battery as well? i will test that tonight after i get some oil and do a change.

You are lucky, i want to buy an Audio Troll and i can't.

This side of the atlantic ocean doesn't deserve that system!!! :cry:

lucky? i don't see it that way considering i want a refund. the sound quality was below CD quality, and thats just the first problem it gave me.:roll:

reepicheep
27-10-08, 05:06 PM
Look for bad grounds as well, that could cause no end of random havoc on many vehicles.

Sub CD quality sound? Thats the first I have heard of that. I thought the input parts of the Audio Troll went in right to the CD changer analog inputs as a pure analog signal. So the sound quality should be as good as your MP3 puts out, with the potential to be at least as good as the CD changer inputs.

I'm not saying you don't have a real problem, I'm just saying that it sounds like it's really a problem, not just "this is how the audio troll always works".

(and take that with a grain of salt. If I had a nice Ipod, I'd have a nice audio troll and Ipod setup, if I had an audio troll. I do have a 9-3 though. :) )

joe the plumber
27-10-08, 06:23 PM
where the grounds located?

as for the worse quality, the troll is more scratchy, fuzzy, and the bass is even more crunchy than smooth. i really was stunned when i saw how flawed this product was and that this guy sells these like they are ready for the market acting as if they are fine. if i sell some glass i've made, i don't sell glass that has hidden cracks. i junk that piece or fix it.

earthworm
27-10-08, 08:32 PM
Location of electrical grounds ...

For this you need the manual, .
Haynes states this :
E1 thru E21 ...15 or so different locations...all over the place.
Typical is :
E3 "center console between the seats".
To indirectly test a ground or earth, run a temp ground lead to the battery, if this "fixes" the situation, simply run your own ground to a good location, rather than going on a "earth-hunt"..

Darren900
28-10-08, 10:31 AM
where the grounds located?

as for the worse quality, the troll is more scratchy, fuzzy, and the bass is even more crunchy than smooth. i really was stunned when i saw how flawed this product was and that this guy sells these like they are ready for the market acting as if they are fine. if i sell some glass i've made, i don't sell glass that has hidden cracks. i junk that piece or fix it.

Anyone would agree that the AT still needs some work and that the customer service for GES is below average, but I think most people would agree that, when it works, the AT sounds great. Make sure you're not using the ipod's equalizer.