Anybody use NOS? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Anybody use NOS?

Lui
5th March 2002, 09:54 AM
Has anybody used NOS for their Saab 900? I'm thinking that later this year I might add it, if I can do so reliably. Any suggestions, or knowledge of people who have?

john-w
5th March 2002, 02:54 PM
The guy i bought my water injection from markets NOS here's a link...
http://www.highpower.freeserve.co.uk/nitrousproducts.htm

Lui
5th March 2002, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the addy, John.

Is there anybody on this forum who has actually installed it on their Saab 900??

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lui on Mar 5, 2002 8:35pm ]</font>

Fan-TC
6th March 2002, 01:17 AM
I have never run/ or seen it run on a saab900

however it is also a dream of mine to run eventually (maybe when i can find a clutch that can handle current tune)

Its intercooling properties are particularly useful for saab 900 tuners

We must remember that saab turbo engines are old school (READ: tough sons of ***es) and would respond very well to this kind of mod.

I have set up a system on a friends car, we took a 3.8l V6 Commodare (australian) and added a supercharger (toyota OE) without an IC
This lifted power to around 140hp at the wheels. With 20hp NOS shot the thing wen like an absolute shower of ***....

And the engine held to gether perfectly (not as strong as ssab)

However my friend took only 3 months to write it off.........

eric_b
7th March 2002, 04:13 PM
Could be good for more power, but... I don't know how long the gearbox would hold up to the sudden boost of power. I've read in these forums that the factory box gives out around 250 hp, if you put a 75 shot on youre engine you will probibly top that and suddenly. Which would probibly lead to a catastrophic gearbox failure.

But, then again, maybe not.

-eric

Alex
7th March 2002, 04:39 PM
I would have thought that the ideal way to use NOS would be at low engine rpms (below the boost threshold) switching it off once the car has come on boost.

This way the low rpm lethargy can be overcome.

Alanb
7th March 2002, 04:44 PM
FAN-TC,

I like what you did to the 3.8 Commodore. They sorely need a power boost. I drove a 3.8 while I was in Oz a few months ago and was incredibly disappointed by the power of the thing: a real slug.

Now I'm off to Siberia for a few weeks and I'll be driving a circa 1990 (i.e. 1950s engineered) Volga. I wonder how fast that'll be? No 'easy 145mph' I bet

Alanb

Alex
8th March 2002, 11:45 AM
Do you actually do any work Alan. Life seems to be one long holiday!

No speed cameras out in Siberia though.

DanF.
8th March 2002, 12:49 PM
I'm no expert about NOS, but while thinking about it, it would seem that giving a shot of NOS at higher RPMs would be much safer for the engine/ gearbox than at low RPM. I reckon that a substancial increase in power, ie. torque, at low RPM would be very bad for a gearbox that already has enough problems with holding together.
I read on some site, the one with the fellow in a wheelchair, who made hiw own nitros system, if I can remember correctly. Anyway he made a good case for only using nitros once the engine had reached higher RPMs as the engine gasses would be traveling faster and that would somehow put less strain on the engine. At low RPMs the nitros would be trapped in each cylinder longer, creating more power and gasses than the engine can handle, thus leading to failure of some sort( or massive uncontrolable, but fun, wheelspin).
I was dreaming up a system that would only be used for higher gear applications where once a deterimed RPM had been met ( 4000 rpm perhaps) than the APC/engine management would decrease the boost to the base setting to componsate for the increased power of the NOS, and then would allow for full boost again once the shot of NOS was done with.

How crazy does that sound?

tandino
8th March 2002, 12:49 PM
Bet you'll find some pleasure in a big fat walrus though Alan....
Pete.

Fan-TC
11th March 2002, 01:36 AM
If you wanna run NOS on a saab forget about having any sort of gearbox reliability.

The shot would be to have a gaddam big turbo, 400hp GT30 Garret would be about right.

Then set up the Nos to only work in second gear and above. Have it coming on as soon as full throttle is applied in these gears. Now you will not feel the turbo lag. You can have it switched off at certain revs once turbo comes in but this would not be as fun as having both.

Your will only really need a 15-30hp shot to get amazing increases. The less you use it will increase prespective gearbox life.

I am not sure whether many of you have ever driven NOS cars. It is nothing like what Fast &amp; |THe Furious makes it look like.
It is similar to turbo boost in most setups.

Well all i can say is.....
Enjoy you laughing gas

Lui
11th March 2002, 09:56 AM
Mind you guys, I'd be adding the nitro to a non-turbo car!

sd2369
30th March 2002, 11:56 PM
I put a Zex NOS kit on my 86 t16. It required building a +5V dc regulator.
The kit uses a micro switch set up on the throttle to trigger it. I uesd 75hp shot it took 2 seconds off my time. It was a harder pull no jerk at all and temp went down.

stan
86 t16
89 9000 t16