hot red head's [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: hot red head's

ianlax55
4th March 2002, 09:37 PM
Has anyone istalled the red series head from swedish dynamics?
How much of an"exciting" upgrade is it really?

Lui
5th March 2002, 09:48 AM
I will be ordering one here shortly; If you have a turbo, I hear it works great, around 25 hp increase (I think). For a nonturbo like mine, I don't know how much it'll help, I guess we'll see here soon enough. Here is some more info from my last post on the subject, including a link to someone who has added one to his turbo. http://www.saab-900.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=1870&forum=2

Ian Stahl
11th March 2002, 11:33 PM
While I was dreaming about getting a Swedish Dynamics cylinder head, I walked out to my garage early this fall, slipped into my 90' Cherry Red 900S, and turned her key. When all of a sudden she did not start as easily as she had always before! I noticed a whitish exhaust shortly after startup and in the previous weeks I had also noticed coolant slowly dissapearing from my reservor. I knew what the problem was "Blown Head Gasket" So I bit the bullet and did something in my 21 years had ever done. I pulled out my Bently Manual and tore the head right off... With a couple of connections at the local VoTech, I brought it in cleaned it up, dissassembled... Then I called around asking ludicrous questions and found out that the short side radius on the intake ports on the 1990 cylinder head are very flat (bad for air flow) and was told to be very careful. I was also told that it wasn't a ford/chevy. I just figured if other people could do why couldn't I? So then I ported and polished everything nice and smooth, did a three way valve grind, polished valve stems, hand lapped valves to retain stellite coating, fresh valve stem seals, scuffed and painted valve cover red, new distributer cap, rotor, race wires, spark plugs, MSS Headers/went from OEM three bolt to turbo four bolt exhaust and gasket matched the intake and exhaust, also Cone K&N air filter. Now she runs great, loud and noticeably quicker. A side from parts it cost me nothing, so I can't complain. I would still like a SPG and the cam grinds that Swedish Dynamics offers look nice too. But I've got my 67' 96 that needs to be finished first. I guess you gotta have your priorities somewhere.
Ian Stahl

Janne Selinummi
12th March 2002, 03:20 AM
Ian, that sounds very interesting!

I was thinking about doing a DIY port polish job too when I renew my head gasket. Could you tell me what kind of tools did you use in the process and have you got any hints
as to how I should proceed?

*THANKS*

Lui
12th March 2002, 09:11 AM
Ian, about how much HP increase did you find from all of those modifications?

stigs
20th March 2002, 11:45 AM
I'll be going with a ported/polished bigvalve 2.3 head from a 9000 with a 2.1 intake manifold and SD cams...I think the cams will do alot because all the stock cams are quite mild...back in the day,on my old T16,I had a Group6 flowed head & it made a tremendous difference...
88 SPG(daily beater)
86 900T16(superformance project)

Mark P
21st March 2002, 06:12 AM
Ian
What mileage does your 900 have?

Mark

Lui
6th May 2002, 09:33 AM
OK -- finally got most of my parts in -- now to put them on -- I've got the swedish dynamics head, new injectors, fuel regulator, and exhaust. Was told this should be good for about 165 hp. New cams and computer should get it to 185 hp. (when I'm done tinkering, I might be able to squeeze 200 hp out of it!) But, first things first.

Cheers,
Lui

P.S. I LOVE the swedish dynamic exhaust, but don't like the mounting brackets (so I made my own)!

Lui
16th August 2002, 04:05 PM
Well I got all the parts on it; will put in new cams when I get the money. Other than that, the car is basically done. It's a little quicker than a base turbo from 1988 (16v), and that's about it, and not quite up to par with an SPG. Pretty good on the highway, as passing times are great! The car doesn't need as many downshifts now as it did before. The gas mileage is now 24/27, from 25/29. I still don't have it dynoed, however my guess is that it's at 155 -160hp with cams I hope to get it around 170 - 180; I'll be satisfied with 180hp! Here is the website address for my new and improved Saab: http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/lui_autos/Saab.html

d_ames117
16th August 2002, 11:30 PM
Lui:
I just installed the muffler and tailpipe(after ordering the CAT 3 times and returing it twice couse it was the wrong one) from Swecish Dynamics. I have a problem with it rattling, which I can fix, but the tailpipe sits against the plastic bumper in back and it melts the plastic. Did you come across that problem? and what did you do?

Thanks,
Dustin

'92 Saab 900 Turbo Conv.

Smackrazor
17th August 2002, 12:06 AM
You could always machine a small bit of metal to protect that bit of the bumper. You know like the things all the ricers get to protect their pretty little civic bumpers from the imaginary flames which shoot out of their 5" coffee cans :)

Lui
19th August 2002, 09:08 AM
Dustin: First of all, how did you mount the muffler? I rigged a mounting bracket up to use the original muffler mounting brackets, and if I only use one of them (i.e. the driver's side one) I get the same problem you have. You might want to check to see that both are on and tight. Or I can help you rig up something else.

Hope this helps,
Lui

d_ames117
19th August 2002, 09:21 AM
I used the original hangers. I fixed the problem, though, by bending the tailpipe slightly.

Thanks,
Dustin

Lui
19th August 2002, 02:21 PM
aaahhhhh, good work then! What else have you done to your car?

d_ames117
20th August 2002, 10:45 AM
The exhaust and the APC so far...wanna get a new cylinder head, replace the vacuum hoses, RRFPR, new injectors. Oh, and add a manual transmission:) THat's all for now, probabyl more later.

Dustin
:)

Lui
20th August 2002, 11:01 AM
Those mods sound exciting! It's fun to mod the car, isn't it? :wink:

d_ames117
20th August 2002, 02:37 PM
:D :o

The Deviant
20th August 2002, 04:36 PM
The exhaust and the APC so far...wanna get a new cylinder head, replace the vacuum hoses, RRFPR, new injectors. Oh, and add a manual transmission:) THat's all for now, probabyl more later.

Dustin
:)

Heh... VERY cool... I'd move 'manual transmission' to the top of the list, personally... I had an auto in my 89 Conv. 900T, and tuned up my APC, and started doing some mods, and the poor thing just decided to stop transferring power to the wheels... Slippity-doo-dah... heh...

d_ames117
21st August 2002, 03:16 PM
lol, yeah, it's at the top of the list :) I don't like auto's at all, no fun to drive, especially since a Saab is a driver's car :)

Homer
22nd August 2002, 01:37 PM
Someone earlier mentioned putting a 2.3 9000 head on their 900 16v.

Is this a straightforward upgrade? Also could someone post the link to the 8v --> 16v head upgrade? I'm interested in this upgrade, and while I'm at it, who not toss a bigger head on. :D

Also - has anyone retrofitted a turbo on a n/a 16v engine?

87SPGIN
22nd August 2002, 04:28 PM
it is possible to do though u have to change out bottom end almost completely the n/a pistons will not hold up to turbo pressures and heat "the spg pistons are even a different alloy mixture than regular turbo" so says the dealer.

john-w
22nd August 2002, 05:02 PM
There's no listed difference between turbo & SPG pistons, lets face it SPG is just a trim pakage :o
Saab used 3 different manufactorers, kolben schmidt,mahle & hepolite :! :!

87SPGIN
22nd August 2002, 05:14 PM
oh i fully agree they are mahle pistons that came out and i put mahle pistons from a 9000 back in i never said they were i was quoting the dealer i found it hard to believe he told me that it was beefed up in the piston mixture, turbo pressure was upped and the spg trim and wheels.

Homer
22nd August 2002, 05:16 PM
Ok, so the n/a --> turbo swap is non-trivial. Is it possible to put the 2.3 9000 16v head on the 2.0 8v n/a?
-Homer

d_ames117
22nd August 2002, 07:30 PM
I have a question. Ok, so I drive a 92 Turbo Conv. and sometimes, the boost goes 1/3 into the red, other times, only halfway into the yellow(base boost). I have done a tweak with the P and F pots. If someone could maybe point me in the right direction, I would be grateful.

Thanks,
Dustin

Lui
5th September 2002, 01:32 PM
d_ames117: make that a seperate and independent post, and you'll get more responses.

automec1062
9th September 2002, 08:25 PM
a stock 90 900 puts out 165 hp . on my car im up to 260 hp on the stock engine w/140k miles the head has not been off (yet) it cost $1.000.00 and 40 min. to boost the power to 250

mike

d_ames117
10th September 2002, 01:29 AM
How did you manage that?

87SPGIN
10th September 2002, 10:27 AM
managment esp from the engine to the road (gearbox) i heave heard of 250 but 260 thats alot pls enlighten us all.

stigs
11th September 2002, 03:39 AM
Is that 260 BHP @ the wheels?
Is your figure dyno-proven?
Are you running H2O inj.?
You've mentioned AutoX & dragging,
whats your 1/4 time?
If you're planning on running NOS,your gearbox
will need stengthening!!!

automec1062
11th September 2002, 10:13 PM
the stage 2 turbo kit from www.spg9.com , updated apc box, 30lb. injectors, rising rate pressure regulator, and their vac. can for more inital timing and more retard under boost . they claim a good 250 hp at 20 psi boost with this kit . i have also polished the throttle body , modified the cat. converter , and a k&n filter set up . with octane booster in for about 98 octane i am getting 25 psi boost ! on a 30lb boost gauge . this would be flywheel h.p. , no not dyno proven . no water injection. no local drag strip , my g-tech compition recorded 14.82@98 mph that was at 4800 ft elevation on a 98 degree day full tank and my 2 12" sub woofer box in back. corrected that should be around a 13.7 et . i leave 20' of black w/ both front tires in first and another 10' in second and cooper lifeline 205-55-15 tires the stock trans was a -6 gear code . broke a drive chain 2 months ago . now have a reman trans from saab with a -7 gear code and 205-50-15 toyo proxies fz4 tires . am turning 250 more rpms at 75 now but have not g-teched it yet . a friend took my g-tech to a strip 350 miles away and consistantly ran .2 quicker slip times than the g-tech on 7 runs . my autocross times got better, was running 12, 13th overall (paxed) to 9th overall(paxed) with trans/tires . the NOS kit is just a 50 horse wet kit . trans has a 1 year warrenty so i thought i'd try it :D
got a little longer than i ment to , but i think i covered everything
mike

stigs
11th September 2002, 10:32 PM
Right on man!

Have you tried getting a HP reading from your G-tech?

Have you weighed your car so you can get accurate
info from G-tech about HP?

Sounds like yer havin' fun though brother!!!!!

Hells yeh,go for the NOS,with the warranty it's good insurance.
I don't think too many Saabfolk believe in NOS,but I'd
be interested to hear how it comes out!!!

Thanx for posting all the info!!!
:D

automec1062
11th September 2002, 11:02 PM
no never weighed it. gvw on door 3840 visor states 930lb capasity = 2910lb + 220 for driver and atleast 100 for stero .just discovered the visor info today so i'll plug that into the g-tech next time . the cops have cought on to the local street races and have shut us down for the last month :roll: . ahve not tried a single run with the new trans and tires but am getting the itch to . have an autocross this weekend , hillclimb next weekend , then the final autocross the last weekend of sept. . helps the racing itch

mike