SaabCentral Forums banner

switching to Redline MTL - flush required?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ParaMedic_Saab 
#1 ·
I recently had a new clutch and slave cylinder put in my 9-3, and the transmission fluid was drained in the process. Not having access to the special Saab MTF0063 stuff, we refilled with Mobil 1 ATF for temporary use. I want to switch back to the MTF0063, but I've also read a few positive reviews of Redline MTL.

If I go back to MTF0063 I would have to flush/fill 3 times right? My understanding is that you have to do this because it is supposedly incompatible with other types of lubricants (i.e. the ATF that's in there currently). Now, what about Redline MTL? Would I also have to flush with that, or could I just drain out the ATF and replace it with MTL? That would certainly be a lot less expensive than "wasting" 3 liters of MTF0063.

#4 ·
Is there any benefits in changing from engine oil to Redline MTL for my 94 NG900? I just changed the oil about 15k ago with 5w30 regular engine oil and shifting has been really smooth, but for some reasons it just doesn't feel right that the transmission is using engine oil...?

#5 ·
gorillajin said:
i think you better flush it 3 times because redline MTL is synthetic fluid and it should not mixed with other fluid.

if you have any MTL leak, you will get more leak from changing redline MTL because the molecule is smaller than other fluid.
Old wives tale. Sythetics typcially leak at first because of there cleaning ability around seals.

Regardless, MTF0063 is a 100% synthetic fluid, if you have no leaks now with MTF0063, then MTL will be jsut fine, I will be changing my fluid this Saturday, and will be draining, refilling(driving around the block) draining, and refiling.

#6 ·
ParaMedic_Saab said:
wasnt this discussed on another thread like 3 days ago ?
You're right, it was. I had brain lapse and thought I'd posted to a different forum.

I wish I'd thought to order the fluid beforehand so I could've just refilled with the same stuff. Now it looks like I'm going to be stuck having to do two flush cycles if I want to go back to 0063, and the stuff isn't cheap. That's what piqued my interest in the Redline MTL -- if it's good quality and could go in after simply draining out the current temporary ATF it would have a certain financial incentive to it.

I will say one thing though, it's actually shifting just fine with the Mobil 1 ATF in there now. I can't tell a difference. Would there be any harm in leaving that in there? My conspiracy theorist side wonders if MTF0063 is really just rebranded synthetic ATF, but the anal retentive side wants to be sure the "right" stuff is in the transmission. Such a quandary! :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.