My first question as a Viggen owner :) How do I get under this thing?? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: My first question as a Viggen owner :) How do I get under this thing??

RITmusic2k
22nd October 2008, 11:49 AM
I picked up my new baby a couple nights ago, and as per my usual obsessive-compulsive maintenance habits, I want to do an oil change on her before the weekend. Got a drive to Vegas coming up and I want her all fresh and healthy.

What I quickly realized is that the car will not drive up the rhino ramps I relied on with my 9-3 base model...

...so let's have it, what do all you guys with lowered cars use when you want to get the front end off the ground? A pair of jacks? Jack one side up at a time and put it on jack stands? What's my best option?

busaboy
22nd October 2008, 11:58 AM
I just put it on my two-post lift and hit the button...

StormCrow
22nd October 2008, 11:59 AM
Jack one side up at a time and put it on jack stands?

That's what I do with my NG - might have to reconsider when I've got the Viggen bits on though!

MaseratiMike
22nd October 2008, 12:09 PM
Im not too sure how much lower a stock viggen is compared to my lowered SE, but all I do is jack it up on the side im working, put a jackstand under it and if needbe do the same to the other side. Nothing too special

Floyd4321
22nd October 2008, 01:09 PM
I use something called a Jack.

RITmusic2k
22nd October 2008, 01:11 PM
The damn rocker panel cover, in all its aerodynamic glory, is about three inches lower at its bottom than the jacking point on the underside of the car, which makes it interesting no matter how I want to do it.

I have a buddy with a lift at his place, we'll probably give it a go tonight.

99Saabnut
22nd October 2008, 01:46 PM
do this http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/mwramps/index.htm but instead of 4 levels of wood use two lower levels of wood to angle the car's nose up; then attach your Rhino ramps on top of those.

My brother had to do this for his lowered 540 and it works perfectly. ;)

oldzmann
22nd October 2008, 03:20 PM
look in your owners manual it will show you the jacking points of the car. There is one up front and 2 on each side. In the rear you can use the frame on either side or the tie-down hook.

demonking
22nd October 2008, 03:30 PM
Jack one side up at a time and put it on jack stands? What's my best option?

Why jack it up one side at a time when there is a central point at the front of the car?

Use this then get 2 concrete blocks and place them under the front wheels (wheels left on), lower the jack so the weight of the car is on the blocks, pump the jack back up so it's rests on the jack point and your oil change is history.

I did this before I had ramps :D.

RITmusic2k
22nd October 2008, 04:00 PM
I had no idea that I had a front-center jacking point!! Wicked.

Thanks also for the link to the homebrew ramps idea. I'll get it up there one way or another. Methinks the front-and-center if I can't get my buddy's lift to work.