Project mayhem [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Project mayhem

K-900
09-10-08, 08:15 PM
Ok, so here goes..

Whilst I'm not back in a c900 quite yet, I wanted to document the idea's I currently have, and to get feedback from you guys. As much as this is going to be my build, I want to share my blood sweat and tears, and learn from past experiences in the c900 realm. Shortly I'm joining the airforce, and once I'm finnished with my training I'll be blowing this thread up :D

Here's the deal,
This car is going to be my baby. I want a stock looking, moddestly powered classic SAAB. That will suprise the unsuspecting, and impress people who appreciate a first class detailed build which has soul and meaning, rather than a cookie cutter horsepower monster.

Ok so here's my list of things I have in mind,

ENGINE:

B204 block
Rebuilt with forged pistons, balanced rods, and crank.
Lightened and balanced flywheel
T7 head
Rebuilt with performance cams and matching hardware: valves, springs ..etc
Equal length exhaust manifold
super laggy turbo
external wastegate
large injectors and FPR
custom fuel rail
Custom stainless 3inch DP, performance cat, and 2.5inch cat back exhaust

For now management is planned to be T5, as T5 suite is out there, and very appealing. I have no "goal" for power, but I want it to be impressive yet well within the working limits of the componants I use

GEARBOX:

*for now I'm stuck on this one, I want the rear wheels to have power, and idealy they are to be assisted by the front. So I'm thinking AWD.
Currently I'm looking at what boxes are out there, and am looking at Quattro. Right now I'm investigating how the computer works with them, and how much, if at all, it ties in with engine managment.
Clutch obviously cannot be confirmed at this point as it's going to be a custom/hybrid set up. Even more obvious is I'm going to have to get a bellhousing adaptor made up (currently investigating into the vaxuall XE pattern on the B204 to see if bellhousings have been made previously to fit VAG boxes)

BODY/CHASSIS:
3 door hatch stripped to the shell
All rust removed
Seems welded
Drive shaft tunnel
Custom engine/gearbox mounts
Reshaped firweall to fit gearbox
Rear suspension; if I go with Quattro I'm inclined to steal a suspension set up from an Audi or a VW (and install available performance parts available for that market)
Convertible doors (playing around with the thought of the proper coupe look if it can be done)
Airflow bodykit, whale tail and vent covers
[paint job - colour undecided]
Full roll cage
Fuel tank where the rear seats would sit
Poly bushed to death
Refurbished or brand new suspension components
Custom spring/shock combo

WHEELS/BRAKES:
Wheels will more than likely be a 17inch BBS cross spoke. If I go the Quattro route I will probably have the VAG bolt pattern, making this nice and easy
Tires will be decided when the time is right.
Brembo 4 pots up front
Some kind of brembo on the rear
Performance pads all round
Cross drilled disks all round

...so those are my ideas. Note I haven't listed things like interior and small parts that will have to be custom fabbed e.g. fuel lines, engine accessories, shifter housing etc etc.. All of these will be dealt with at the appopriate time. Also note I haven't listed many company names for parts. I'm keeping an open mind about what's available to me when I'm in the market for particular things.

I've been dying to get back into a c900 since I've moved to the states. And as soon as my career gets rolling this is all going to start happening. One thing at a time, and it's going to be a long dedicated build. Engine will be first, followed by the rest in an order that will make sense. I'm going to detail as much as I can throughout the build, to help/work with people who have similar ideas and situations.

So although it's going to redundant for a while, please watch this space! I'm so stoked at the idea of being back in here with you guys, and am looking forward to be able to meet many of you after the build at SOC and similar organized local gatherings.

Any input is more than welcome,
thanks for reading :D

Palmer1980
10-10-08, 01:10 AM
T5 in a c900 you say?

http://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33456&highlight=megasquirt

:)

Good luck with your project!

K-900
10-10-08, 10:56 AM
thanks Palmer! That should be useful when it comes to the time. Although I plan on using an ng900 b204, making the install pretty straight forward, I still haven't ruled out the b202.
I'm annoyed at myself now, can't wait to get this started.. have.. to..be .....patient..:roll:

IronJoe
10-10-08, 11:11 AM
Sounds like quite the plan. Good luck to you!

Orca
10-10-08, 01:10 PM
You're a champ, Kenny - I reckon that's a great plan and if you have the money and the skills (or good connections with an innovative mechanic) it's all possible. Addressing the biggest issue with the Classic 900, which is the gearbox, should be central to your thinking.

Shame you have to go 17s ... blocky five spoke 15x7s were super cool on your old UK car ;)

K-900
10-10-08, 03:22 PM
You're a champ, Kenny - I reckon that's a great plan and if you have the money and the skills (or good connections with an innovative mechanic) it's all possible. Addressing the biggest issue with the Classic 900, which is the gearbox, should be central to your thinking.

Shame you have to go 17s ... blocky five spoke 15x7s were super cool on your old UK car ;)

Hey buddy! I think the only parts of this build I wont be able to achieve myself will be the bodywork, i.e. all the welding, de-rusting, modification, and the paint job.
The rest I'm pretty confident in myself to get accomplished. Now that you've said it's a shame I have to go 17, I think you're right. The only reason I said 17 was for the brakes. So this is another issue I want to address already. Hopefully I can go 16's. I'll see what brake kits I can get for an audi if I go the route with VAG hubs/pattern.

Don't talk about my old car :cry: or cars for that matter.. I was I fool to give up the black one

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/k-900/SAAB%20900%20turbo/DSCN0934.jpg

and this one sadly had to go with my decision to come to the states

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/k-900/SAAB%20900%20turbo/t16s-1.jpg

But I'll be back :cool:
what ever happened to your website by the way? I used to go on their and lust after that white airflow. That's one of the colour combo's I have in mind. white with the gun metal airflow kit... *drool*

Orca
10-10-08, 03:34 PM
Only ever look back for inspiration! I'll watch this one with interest over the coming years I would think :lol: