New member. My 900 [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: New member. My 900

2manytoys
17th September 2008, 08:31 PM
:D

Hello everyone, first post for me here. My names Kev, I live in Scotland and I'm a complete and utter petrolhead. I have a new GM Saab engine Project that I'm looking for advice on, online forums are a real good source for this so thats why I'm here! Here's my classic 1982 Saab 900 8v Turbo to prove that I have some Saab pedigree to my name! I'll post this and more in the NG section as thats the engine I need advice with.

She's been one of my favourite guilty pleasures for years
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l110/turbokev/DaewooAstra041-1.jpg

Spec.

Engine - 8v Turbo APC

Brand New Garrett Turbo
APC Tweaked, runs 15psi
K-jetronic Tweaked to match boost
Later Models Intercooler
Turbo back 2.5" Stainless Exhaust with high flow elbow (Battery relocated)

Handling
Avo 30mm lowering springs
Bilstein dampers
Poly bushed

Brakes
Brand new front calipers
Mintex pads
Rear calipers given new seals

Looks
Minilites, Yokahama A539's
No front bumper-Aggressive looks!
Later models rear bumper.

More pics.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l110/turbokev/DaewooAstra013.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l110/turbokev/DaewooAstra015.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l110/turbokev/DaewooAstra020.jpg

Squaab99t
17th September 2008, 10:03 PM
Welcome,
Great looking ride. Sweet ldownpipe, did you have that made or is that off the "shelf"?
How did you tweak the K-jet to match the higher boost?

2manytoys
17th September 2008, 10:36 PM
Welcome,
Great looking ride. Sweet ldownpipe, did you have that made or is that off the "shelf"?
How did you tweak the K-jet to match the higher boost?

I had it made yeah, I designed it and told the guy what I wanted. Next one I'll do myself, flange, boxes, mandrel bends and tailpipes are already made, just tig them together, easy.

K jet is easy to tweek, but hard to set perfectly without modern equipment. I got the exhaust guy to weld a wideband lambda sensor boss into the exhaust, then I took it to a rolling road and adjusted the fuel mixture screw to ritchen up the mixture and not over/underfuel the boost I set. It pinked like mad before I did this. Tuning by ear is silly!

Pap
18th September 2008, 12:41 AM
Hey, welcome to SC. Nice ride!

Sepp
6th October 2008, 04:57 PM
WoW nice car! :o:o

woywitka
22nd October 2008, 08:57 PM
Welcome to SC, cool looking car for sure:cool:

want a 9000
22nd October 2008, 10:25 PM
welcome

Very nice looking saab love the agressive front:cool:

AlbertaDrew
22nd October 2008, 11:22 PM
Welcome and welcome. Nice ride, loving the flat nose.

Drew

wokke
24th October 2008, 11:06 PM
Is that a stock exhaust manifold? Where did you get it? Did you modify the head?

Jokke A
26th October 2008, 06:44 AM
Is that a stock exhaust manifold? Where did you get it?

Looks like stock. Nice to see someone tweak the K-jet, a bit more "old school" than all these electronic injection -conversions. Flat nose 900 looks mean without front bumper. :cool:

2manytoys
30th October 2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.:D The manifold is standard yes, just cleaned and painted. The exhaust system is bespoke, 3" from turbo back, not 2.5 as I said previously. I might be selling it soon actually, but I don't think its worth alot in the UK. I just don't use it anymore, and with all the new parts it has it's just a waste seeing it sit there. Things to fix are the rear o/s 1/4 which has a horrible rust bubble from a stonechip, the window seal on that side is leaking too. I have the paint for the panel already (60 a litre old school 2k!), just need to prep it. The manifold has a slight leak too from cold so I've ordered a new gasket for that, and will skim the manifold at work. Might put pics up when I do it if people are interested. My old man might cage it and track it with me in my GTE, be good to get it used as an alternative to selling, its been in the family since 1990! She's no impreza or evo but as a package it handles well, goes and stops well and looks nice so it'd be a good car to anyone.