Spark Plugs [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Spark Plugs

justin.graeff
11th September 2008, 04:19 PM
Before I do my heater core/blower motor work tomorrow, I just want to double check what kind of spark plugs to use and how to gap them. I want to replace them along with that other work. It's getting colder so I want to prepare for the winter weather with new spark plugs. I know I need the NKG's but I don't know what kind and what to gap them to. Thanks for your help in advance!

mulik51
11th September 2008, 06:16 PM
I think they would be NGK BCPR7ES and the gap would be 1mm.
The NGK iridiums of the same heat range work great for me, hold boost better for longer(I don't have to change them every 2000 miles). Also, you don't need to regap the iridiums, so, if I would be I would get the iridiums. If you go to pepboys, they will have the right kind for you. I think they are NGK BCPR7IX but I am not sure).

Don't forget the dielectric grease!

Klim

justin.graeff
11th September 2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks! I found the plug at Advance Auto Parts. The pep boys around here closed so I can't get them from there. No big deal. Thanks for the tip!

Superaero
12th September 2008, 11:09 AM
Some engines prefer the one range hotter iridium(platinum) plugs. I run 6 heat range. I got weird fouling symptoms using the 7, no sign on the plugs but after 15,000 km they fluffed regularly. SAB now specs the 6 heat range iridium plugs for the 9 5 Aero version of our engine, for Canada at least.

The standard copper core plug BCPR 7 ES is the correct heat range for copper. The 6 is too hot for the turbo if using standard copper core plugs.