Check out this Fuel Pump removal tool. [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Check out this Fuel Pump removal tool.

raymondjiii
05-09-08, 09:06 PM
First let me say please pardon my excitement - luck is not something that comes my way very often. Secondly I can't take all of the credit for this as someone else gave me a similar idea.

As many of you know getting the black plastic flange off of the top of fuel pump can be a real hassle to say the least and unless you have the Saab tool you have to fiddle around with misc parts that you have laying around the house and even then it may not come out in one piece so that it can be reused.

This is a Schedule 40 PVC pipe adapter. I paid $12 for it at my local hardware store but you should easily be able to get it for less than $10.

You can see the little vertical bump-outs around the outside of this piece. These fit "PERFECTLY" inside the flange. I drilled two holes through it and used a metal bar (from my chain saw chain breaker) and slid it through. The flange came right off in about 2 seconds. What I hoped to do was use a big oil filter wrench, one with the adjustable strap, but the one that I had did not make it all the way around. I tried to use just my hands by grabbing the pipe adapter but it was pointless. So I had to drill the holes and use the bar.

My original idea was to cut little vertical notches all the way around this piece so that the notches on the pipe adapter would catch the notches on the flange (maybe not all of the notches but at least 33% of them at one time) but thanks to the little nubs on this piece I did not have to do that.

I also went to my local Home Depot later that day and the model they have does not have these large nubs but had many more smaller ones all the way around. I think that one would work as well. This piece is called a 4" clean-out with plug (you take off the plug.) Made by Genova part #71639.

MacNoob
05-09-08, 11:54 PM
Very nice hint! Thank you!

(Add to FAQ on fuel pump repair?)

raymondjiii
06-09-08, 12:05 AM
Here's a guy selling a bunch of these. Maybe a group buy? :cheesy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Genova-71639-Lot-9-Never-Used_W0QQitemZ150269178540QQcmdZViewItem

Actually, I just googled that part number, you can get at numerous places for about $5.

I'd bet the farm that it will take off anybody's fuel pump flange.

Al's Red Wagon
06-09-08, 05:24 AM
Brilliant - F-ing Brilliant

:cool: :cool: :cool:

toxicavenger
06-09-08, 07:26 AM
hey great idea because we all know how much of a mtf'er it is to get off that ring with breaking the tabs on it!;oops:

raymondjiii
06-09-08, 09:54 AM
Brilliant - F-ing Brilliant

:cool: :cool: :cool:

I knew that you of all people were going to like it. :D

hiros
06-09-08, 10:33 AM
Cool Stuff Raymondjii:cool:

Who knows, the next time someone browse in the dealers workshop maybe you will find the exact same thing as an inexpensive alternative for the fuel pump removal:D

raymondjiii
06-09-08, 11:46 AM
In a dealership? I doubt that, in an indy shop maybe.

After all, dealerships like to charge $10 for each fuel filter washer for a total of $40 when every other site under the sun charges $6 for the set. I still can't believe that rip-off. So they can certainly afford a couple of Saab genuine tools.

Actually, I don't know how dealerships work, if the techs have to buy all of their own tools or just the basic ones.

kz5rt2
12-07-10, 01:56 PM
I assume this tool does not work on a 2005 9-3? Does anyone know how to make a fast cheap tool for a 9-3?

raymondjiii
12-07-10, 02:09 PM
Do you know if it is that different? I would think it would work unless somebody proved otherwise.

kz5rt2
12-07-10, 02:34 PM
Well, I know the part numbers are different for the tools.

2005 9-3

83 96 194 Fitting/Removal Tool, Fuel Pump (Petrol), B207 This a three armature tool.

2004 9-5 This tool is a double armature tool

83 94 462 Fuel Pump Tool

Does anyone have experience removing a pump in a newer 9-3 model?

saab1969
28-12-10, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the post. I'm going to try this for my '96 900; hopefully Ace has the part.

photousa
28-12-10, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the post. I'm going to try this for my '96 900; hopefully Ace has the part.

I found mine at Home Depot. My version is stamped with, "Genova" #71639 PVC (4). Part Number: 71639. Bar Code Number: 38561 71639. The description on the part is: 4" Fitting Cleanout Body

jwwells
28-12-10, 05:08 PM
This was one of the best finds ever for fuel pump removal... I even made a short video for my brother when he had fuel pump issues...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xTb1PmOsdY
Hope this helps someone else

earthworm
28-12-10, 08:01 PM
This was one of the best finds ever for fuel pump removal... I even made a short video for my brother when he had fuel pump issues...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xTb1PmOsdY
Hope this helps someone else
Suburb video!;ol;
And a cute baby:cheesy:
His "special tool" is better than the Saab factory device and much, much cheaper.

Maine
28-12-10, 09:06 PM
I have changed out 3 pumps in various 9-5's and never had an issue removing the lock ring?

I simply take a large screwdriver and gently tap all the way around and it comes loose within a minute.

Good idea on the pipe fitting though.