High octane.. [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: High octane..

Mark P
1st March 2002, 11:29 AM
I've seen a few posts recently about Optimax, and opinion seems to be split on whether it offers any noticable performance gain. I tried my first full tank earlier this week, and I noticed an immediate increase in pick-up especially in the 2nd gear 20-50 and 3rd gear 50 - 70mph range.
It wasn't a massive increase but made a noticable increase.

Anyone else agree?

Nuts
1st March 2002, 11:39 AM
I use a higher octane fuel in the summer when intake temperatures are a lot higher.

When I tried Optimax recently I didn't notice much difference, but that's due to the fact that the ambient temperature is suitably low for my boost level. Also I have an intercooler spray to help prevent pre-detination.

I am sure in the summer using optimax will enable much higher levels of boost.

Janne Selinummi
1st March 2002, 12:11 PM
Anyone ever tried one of those octane booster liquids? Trent Saab offer a product like this, and if it really works, then this should be a really useful product for us who run APC Turbos.

Alex
1st March 2002, 06:28 PM
The Pro-Boost is supposed to be pretty good but is also rather pricey. 9 for a tank on the Saab.

Millers do an octane booster that only costs 2-3 for a tank treatment, friends have used this on Japanese imports and report that it works well. Scooby boys are trying the Nitrous Formula octane booster (www.nitrousformula.co.uk) with success. This appears to have some serious capabilities, potential 6RON gains!

Janne Selinummi
1st March 2002, 06:51 PM
Do you know if it's safe? I'm thinking about the FI and the injectors themselves as well as the valve stems - are there any reports of those boosters giving engine trouble?

Alex
1st March 2002, 07:31 PM
Its difficult to tell. There are many stories on the net of people getting irate with a product or modification because their car broke a couple of miles down the road after the mod had been carried out, when in a lot of cases it is coincidence.

I think with octane boosters, no real problems except some aren't compatible with cats, and engines will not stand 35psi of boost as standard, regardless of the octane being used!!

Keith
1st March 2002, 08:16 PM
I think you've hit the nail on the head there Alex. If you go daft and empty 10 litres of the stuff in the tank then because there is no pinking ham fisted lunatics (& some engine management systems!) will keep on giving it more and more advance and or boost until it goes pop! It wasn't the Octane boosters fault!

DanF.
3rd March 2002, 09:41 PM
Getting a bit off subject...
This reminded me of a person who I knew who was going into a drag with a fellow motorhead( American v8 motorhead, in highschool mind you), anyway right before the race he had an entire case of octane booster poured into his gastank(twelve bottles i think), well he was on his way to a sure victory until flames started shooting out of the dual exhaust and his engine not so much popped, but disintegrated into very tiny piston, connecting, and pushrod pieces. At least he laughed about it after.

fat pat
10th March 2002, 11:02 PM
heres a question. my turbo is running basic boost for the winter. do you think it is cool to fill it with 89 octane?

conradFL
10th March 2002, 11:31 PM
89 is midgrade here in the states, that's fine. but why is your turbo only on base boost?