But I'm the first with a question [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: But I'm the first with a question

Johann F
01-03-02, 09:36 AM
If I can think of one...er...yes! - what peformance mods have people admited to on their insurance - and how much did it add to the premium?

Janne Selinummi
01-03-02, 10:11 AM
Just don't tell the insurance people about any mods! Most of them on a Saab are invisible anyhow, and should you get in an accident, you can remove all the visible performance parts afterwards before the insurance guys check the car over...

I know this isn't exactly high a morale affair, but the insurers seem to hate performance modifications! This is the only way I am able to afford my insurance.

Nuts
01-03-02, 10:18 AM
I am interested int his too, I am just about to ring my insurers to get their policy details.

My brother's old insurers only charged you for mods than equate to 10% Bhp increase each.

Not sure whether all mods could and should be kept quiet tho, I think that could get you in a lot of trouble. :eek:

Alex
01-03-02, 04:37 PM
I have to say that I was honest and listed all the mods, including the hybrid turbo.

When doing the rounds last year, I tried a couple not listing the performance mods, and the premium didn't really drop by much.

Keith
01-03-02, 05:31 PM
I found that as well, N.U. Direct cared more about if the car had big wheels, than 25psi boost :roll: The helpful chap on the phone then also proceeded to tell me a dump valve was in fact the same as a bleed valve, Really? thanks....

I got the distinct impression that I could do whatever I liked under the bonnet so long as it didn't show on the outside apart from they wouldn't cover a "Non Manufacturers turbo" which is fine 'cos "it's a t3 Jim but not as we know!"

Keith

Janne Selinummi
01-03-02, 05:59 PM
I have yet to face the insurance problems myself, the car is almost standard at the moment. I don't know how the insurers do their stuff with tuned cars here in Finland,
but I do hope I won't have to pay double...
I think I'm going the honest route after all, since the potential troube is still too risky.
Down here, we have more problems with vehicle inspection - law says a vehicle is only allowed to produce 20 percent more power than the top of the model range model does standard. This is crazy to say the least, and because of it most people with tuned cars are a bit criminal in here.

I'll need a certificate of dyno-proven hp for the inspection of a tuned car, so I'll do it with the APC fuse out and water spray turned off. I hope that's enough...

Fan-TC
01-03-02, 09:11 PM
Whatever performance mods you have should be listed, insurance companies will spend copius amounts of money in investigation, in order not to process your claim.

Now insurance..

Try being 17 and insuring a 900 Aero turbo in Australia. Cost is yearly about twice the cost of buying a new performance turbo....

Eric van Spelde
03-03-02, 08:57 AM
Saabine's on a 'classic' insurance policy, fully comprehensive based on agreed value. Now most of the performance modifications (i.e. 16v conversion rebuilt/ 2.1 litre overbored engine with balanced internals, new Gasparatos modified turbo, assorted Trent Saab stuff, brake conversion and 16" Aero's) are listed in the valuation report as the full technical rebuild on Saabine is what constitutes the better part of the car's value. Now the insurers do have the full report so they can't say they did not know anything about it, can they? :smile:
All they did was send an additional bill of 148 euro's to account for the increased value of the car since the last valuation three years ago.

So if your Saab is a bit of a weekend toy like mine, you could do worse than check out whether any insurer (maybe via the Saab Owner's Club in your country) accepts the Classic 900 as a classic, if you know what I mean :wink: I dread at what the premium would be for insuring a modern-day sports sallon or coupé with 200+ hp/tonne...

I know what my next project will be after Saabine and the Silver Arrow: an MGB with a TVR V8 (insert devilish grin :wink:

Janne Selinummi
03-03-02, 12:53 PM
Boy, that'll keep you off the road, Eric!
And I'm not talking about repairs either! :grin: